The health benefits of playing pool (Tell them it's Exercise!!)

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I am right now including practicing pool as part of my workout routine my goal right now is every other night 2 hours minimum play or practice and longer routines on the weekend. In addition to this my goal for the summer is be healthier. I am not totally unhealthy right now but I could lose 15 pounds and get in better shape.

Reading on this though I discovered pool in addition to being fun as hell is really great for your body!

Here's a story on it from Health Revolution :

http://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/top-10-health-benefits-playing-billiards/

Slows aging in men

Helps build focus

And the one that shocked me was this but it makes total sense:

"Burns calories – There is a surprising amount of beneficial walking involved in a round of pool: a typical 2-hour 8-ball or 9-ball session often provides 100 trips
around the table’s perimeter, which is about equal to walking nearly three-quarters of a mile. Playing multiple games of pool will stack up these distances and burn even more calories!"

This is what impressed me the only question I have is whether this is on a 7 foot , 8 foot, or 9 foot.

Here's another story :

http://www.medicaldaily.com/healthy...er-help-improve-quality-life-older-men-306730

"Lassen proposes “billiards and beer” should be included in the official policy papers on “active ageing” issued by the WHO and the EU. He places emphasis on the positive side effects of these activities that allow the elderly to take their minds off their illness and engage in activities like billiards that activity centers offer. Therefore, Lassen concludes there should be a broader, more inclusive concept of healthy and active aging so it can positively impact the everyday lives, quality of life, and general health of the elderly."

I generally don't drink but hey this is a great excuse!! So if someone says why are you going down to the pool hall tell them its exercise!!!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true.

Just wear a Fitbit or similar and you will find out how much you walk. The mental stimulation is excellent as well.

:thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is healthy? Hmmm.

-Smoke filled environment
-live like vampires
-drink like fish
-high stress shooting those 9 balls
-constantly in a contorted asymmetrical position
-eat out of a vending machine...

Ha ha, glad I outgrew that lifestyle at 30:)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha well actually I know of several senior places that have pool tables , I'm 57 myself ,
The fact is is anything you do other than sitting in a chair is beneficial u less it's putting your body in harms way , swimming by far would be the best choice not even close to number 2 ' yes pools good as hobby I'm here to tell you tourney pool is very taxing

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true.

Just wear a Fitbit or similar and you will find out how much you walk. The mental stimulation is excellent as well.

:thumbup:

I bought a Fitbit for this very purpose. A 2-3 hours playing session tends to run me between 3000 and 4000 steps. Considering my daily goal is 8K, that's pretty good.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
My last two years as a nurse I was in charge of a up-scale assisted living home. I got the company that owned it to put in an 8' pool table. After a few weeks I saw big changes from the dozen or so that played it most days. They looked happier, were eating better, and most had more pep in their step and were better socially. Pool is good medicine. Johnnyt

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it is betrer than sitting in a chair all day, but you gotta admit: grocery shopping would be better, if you did it for the same amount of time.