The HolyGrail of cues?

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Tikkler's Black Boar Cue

My holy grail cue is owned by AZ member "Tikkler". He has the best cue collection that i've ever seen and he owns many Black Boar cues and this one is my all time favorite cue. This is one of his pictures and i'm sure he won't mind me posting it as my favorite cue:

James

IMG_1143.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Alfie Taylor owns the cue that Billy Stroud made for Eddie Taylor. Eddie used it until he quit playing. That cue would be my Holy Grail!

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
I think something like an unopened box big enough to hold a cue from a guy named Balabushka or Szamboti and the shipping docs that go with it would be pretty cool to stumble upon.
It couldn't get any better than that. I'd just hope I'm doing well enough that keeping it wouldn't be financially irresponsible.

If you actually came across that and kept it, would you play with it or put it in a display case? I'd play with it, but only at my home table.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My holy grail cue is owned by AZ member "Tikkler". He has the best cue collection that i've ever seen and he owns many Black Boar cues and this one is my all time favorite cue. This is one of his pictures and i'm sure he won't mind me posting it as my favorite cue:

James

IMG_1143.jpg

Yeah, that's a beauty! If memory serves right, doesn't Fatboy, also have a few Mega Monster BB's?

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's funny how many of the holy grails mentioned are basically the lowly Brunswick. The # 36 Brunswick is the cue I would most like to find in a garage or estate sale. No CNC machine here! Ford ,in 1914, raised his factory wages to $5.00 a day. So a well paid worker could take home about $100.00 A month.( No income taxes then) Today a well paid worker makes maybe $3000.00 a month take home. So he would be paying about $300.00 for this stick. Now, because it's almost 100 years old, # 36 sells for about $2,100.00. Still a bargain.

Did you see this?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=275393

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alfie Taylor owns the cue that Billy Stroud made for Eddie Taylor. Eddie used it until he quit playing. That cue would be my Holy Grail!

Yep, I was going to mention that cue. And as a matter of fact, it may be up for sale in the near future. If you have any thoughts about the best way to handle such a sale (auction?), shoot me a PM.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine that the cue Willie Mosconi ran 526 balls with would be considered by some to be the "Holy Grail Cue".

poolcrazy

Huebler Collector
Silver Member
Heres one of mine

This cue was built in Berlin Germany before World War 1 it was found in an atic, when the building was being remodeled, to think the cue haswithstood 2 Wars and hasnt ever been restored. There is over 20,000 pieces of inlay in the cue.
Ive never seen any other cue like it, and probley never will again
It was bought off of German Ebay for the sum of about 85 dollars
So I think it was not only a interesting find it is also a very rare find
Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

bsarlo

B-Lock
Silver Member
Wow. That is an unusual joint. Is the handle just grooved? Is this something you've actually seen or just got the pic from the inter webs?

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cues that I consider to be the Holly Grails of collectible cues would be the following:

The Rambow cues used by Jackie Gleason and Paul Newman in The Hustler.

The Balabushka cue used by Steve Mizerak to win his 4 U.S. Open Championships.

The Silver & Ivory Ginacue by Ernie.

The King James cue by Bob Meucci for Jim Rempe.

That would be it for me. I would be more than happy to track those specific cues for my collection, once I get all the money that is in Bill Gates account. :)

All very true! I would say there are MANY "Holy Grails" ..thanks for your input!

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early 1970s Ernie Gutierrez was contracted to build one cue for each member of the Original Rat Pack to be presented to those guys at some banquet honoring them. Ernie used forearms from the only order (of 12) he ever purchased from Burton Spain and made each cue slightly different and of course with the honorees name inscribed.

I loved Dean Martin as a kid. I would watch him on his live variety show and just figured that was the epitome of cool. The Dean Martin cue has clinking Martini glasses inlaid. The Rat Pack Dean Martin Ginacue would be my (current) Holy Grail. I think I know where that cue is but as of yet have not figured out a decent way to try and get my hands on it.

If I ever do, I will cherish that cue for a lifetime (or for 3 weeks whichever comes first).

Thanks

Kevin

Wow! What a collections! Would be awesome to see! thank your for sharing the info!:D

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess for me it would be the custom cue made for "Doc Sibley", the retired guy who taught me and a bunch of other kids how to play the game "right."

I've got his very early Hoppe he sold me and got to shoot a few with his custom. I was away when he died, have no clue where it went, who got it, did they care?

Yeah, that is my unobtainable holy grail.

I like all the personal History this thread is bringing up! So interesting! Thank you so much! can't get enough about cue history, and billiards lure!

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The big one....The Holy Grail.....would be an original 1973 George Balabushka cue with a flat faced ivory joint & ferrules with a total cue weight under 19 ozs (which is of course highly improbable.....more like mid-19 oz. at best). Naturally, the shafts would have to be straight and shaft size range would have to be 12.5mm -13mm....no larger nor smaller...in order to be the true "Holy Grail" of a cue for me.

George only made 1200 cues during his lifetime and according to Barry Szamboti, his dad (Gus) only complerted less than 125 blanks for George, the majority having a straight grained maple forearm with four ebony points. George Balabushka then finished the joint, veneers and inlays on these blanks so there weren't a whole bunch of these cues made and there were supposedly only a couple of ivory joint cues made during his Szamboti period. He started getting the blanks from Gus in early 1973 and George died in 1975.

So that's my nomination for the "Holy Grail" of cues.

Some form of "Buska" seems to be the popular "Grail" for most people. Can't say I'm surprised, all the History behind these.