The Hustler > The Color of Money > ???

Mr Machine

To make this work here is a brief summary of this dream sequel:

-Vince becomes a hardcore alcoholic after his wife was murdered over a game of pool.
-He lives alone in Queens and Eddie has long passed.
-He plays pool at nights so he doesn't have to go to sleep because he drinks him self to sleep.
-Plays pool to make rent

-The guy he lost the game the match to, that eventually caused the death of his wife, returns to New York City for a big tournament.
-To get close enough to the guy he has to play this tournament to get to the finals against the accomplice.

-Builds his own cue outfitted with hidden knife and a various cues with hammer and trigger system.

-Gets ready for tournament.
I was right there with ya till we got to “makes his own cue…”

Maybe that’s where he meets the surprise finalist….Pia
:) :) :)

m00sebumps

If he wrote the Hustler, how old is he? DAMN! Or was Queen's Gambit written a good while back and recently made into a movie?
If he wrote the Hustler, how old is he? DAMN! Or was Queen's Gambit written a good while back and recently made into a movie?
I just checked his wiki, queens gambit came out in 83 and TCOM 84, the same year he died. I'd recommend the book, it's a quick read and it's very different from the movie. There's no vincent or carmen while Eddie takes up a similar role as Bert. Fats is in the book with an early focus on straight pool and Fats just dominating him and eventually encouraging Eddie to get back at playing. Eddie spends some time on the road hustling 8 ball on bar boxes, meets a lady that has more dimension the janelle, and it all culminates in a big 9 ball tournament. Eddie has a larger redemption story as it's clear he has been depressed and just bouncing around for years being less than average at life since bert blacklists him in the hustler

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cruise remains one of the biggest box-office draws in the world. No way it would be a mistake to include him.
I agree about Cruise, He’s your man if you’re not looking for depth and prefer to wade in the shallow end of Hollywood or just removing your bandages from your lobotomy.

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are due for another pool movie that will either trigger another rise in pool popularity, or be created in response to one of the rises in pool interest, which we seem to be in right now.

The current resurgence in pool has to be due to youtube and social media, maybe a boost from smartphone pool apps that spark curiosity. People see clips of Efren Reyes and start clicking and soon they're watching full matches of Van Boening and Earl Strickland, or trick shots on youtube and want to go do those things themselves.

The Hustler (1961) had a young Paul Newman, then he returned as an older Fast Eddie in The Color of Money (1986) where he mentored and sparred with a young Tom Cruise.

There was 25 years between the original 2 movies and it's been 38 years since the last one, so we are due.

Will we see the Balabushka make a return? Will we hear Vincent say "I'm back, baby!"

View attachment 740896
I’ve got the premise for today’s answer to those two movies…

A tranny goes on the road with a bisexual steakhorse to try and win enough money hustling pool to afford a penis implant and allow the tranny to then run as Republican for President With Marjorie Taylor Green as his running mate.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot fathom anyone recommending the book version of The Color of Money. I thought it was completely aimless and incoherent. So much of the book is Eddie helping out a new love interest collect Kentucky folk art and using his hustling skills to haggle good deals.

1706901148644.jpeg

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

I haven't read the book for years, but I remember Eddie's adversary in the book was some young buck named Earl Borchard (obviously meant to be Earl Strickland) at least that's how I remember it. It was okay, nothing special and certainly not remotely related to the movie that's for sure.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
"Assassinated"

Maverick didnt check the flight ejection system for malfunctions and then Goose died.

Friendly fire, accident, assassination, whatever, ... constitutional rights violations

justnum

Silver Member
Well to be honest Vince is too busy saving the world in his jet.

If its adapted to current times then Vince is a commercial fisherman watching the foreign fleet of non state commercial fishing probe the maritime defenses of natural preserves and private fishing areas and contested waters.

The ocean is more contested than Ukraine. Fishing is the wild Ocean.

Vince fishes and plays pool and gets captured by pirates. He calls mom, Duchess of doom and Allison sends Mi5 to negotiate.

Allison's team is intercepted by a Russian group. However that Russian group is being followed by Austrians and Germans. The twist falls when Allison's top proteges have to make an ethical and unclear call.

Illegal fisheries and illegal seafood can be a source for viral epidemics.

Report changes to your environment. It could be a toxic polluter. Or signs of an early problem.

justnum

Silver Member
Well to be honest Vince is too busy saving the world in his jet.

Seeing him do it to his son was a treatment of psychological horror.

What a sick Air Force? Is that what they do?

Did he not see Saving private ryan?

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Maverick didnt check the flight ejection system for malfunctions and then Goose died.

Friendly fire, accident, assassination, whatever, ... constitutional rights violations
Right. My thoughts exactly.

(I took a lot of Ambien this afternoN-)

dquarasr

Registered
I've allready aired my idea for a pool movie, a gritty tale about the life of Earl Strickland, played by a character actor and with some slight exaggerations and embellishments I think it would make a great movie. Even if he is found to be an unsuitable subject, I think a modern pool movie would need to be a study of a complex character who goes through a journey, played by a strong actor. Approaching it from the pool angle is just doomed to fail, like Pool hall junkies proved. It wouldn't have to be set in the past, but I think a movie could be helped by that. The 70's would be a good era I think. Not too dificult and expensive, yet exotic enough to be interesting. It wouldn't have to be violent or gloomy, but I think a slight edge to it would make it pop a bit. I have a story in mind, but I'm a bit stuck on the antagonist. It's hard to make a believable antagonist in a pool movie, without ending up with a cliche.
An Efren-based likable antagonist would make a sympathetic opponent to a bombastic love him/hate him Earl character.

tomatoshooter

I've allready aired my idea for a pool movie, a gritty tale about the life of Earl Strickland, played by a character actor and with some slight exaggerations and embellishments I think it would make a great movie. Even if he is found to be an unsuitable subject, I think a modern pool movie would need to be a study of a complex character who goes through a journey, played by a strong actor. Approaching it from the pool angle is just doomed to fail, like Pool hall junkies proved. It wouldn't have to be set in the past, but I think a movie could be helped by that. The 70's would be a good era I think. Not too dificult and expensive, yet exotic enough to be interesting. It wouldn't have to be violent or gloomy, but I think a slight edge to it would make it pop a bit. I have a story in mind, but I'm a bit stuck on the antagonist. It's hard to make a believable antagonist in a pool movie, without ending up with a cliche.
I don't think Earl's story needs much embellishment. He started going out on the road part time when he was 14 or so. Almost didn't play in the 84(?) Sands Regency Open because his car was falling apart, beats Steve Mizerak to win a new car and several thousand dollars. Ran ten racks in a row for a million dollars. He's got hundreds of road stories.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Make a period piece about the rise and fall of Ralph Greenleaf, starring Casey Affleck. Cameos by Mosconi, Taberski, Crane, Titanic Thompson, Arnold Rothstein and a plethora of cons, crooks, big time gamblers, mobsters, showgirls, etc. Stream it on Netflix, Hulu or HBO Max. It writes itself.