The Hustlers, Season 1, Episode 6

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone. My comments were just an honest assessment of the show. I do stand by my original comments though....and as far as Scotty and Gary are concerned.....their low to mid B players....and they wouldn't be in the top 100 let alone 25 in Ohio.

"Wow you have a real eye for scouting good pool talent".......said no one ever to you. You obviously have never seen Scotty or Gary play and obviously have the IQ of a toaster oven..

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
it is often not the best player, but the best HANDICAPPER who controls the gambling

Its a reality show with real characters using their real names. My problem is ....there is not a drop of reality in the story line. Of the original 5...only one can actually play pool above a B level. Its advertised as the best 5 pool players in NYC.....that's completely laughable. Its also a joke to think that some self appointed wannabee pool payer/godfather is going to dictate the process of finding the best player in NYC.

Wait it gets worse....now they expand the list to include more low B players...and low and behold the 2nd best pool player in the United States....who BTW doesn't live in NYC he lives in Maine or RI or wherever he calls home now.

I guess we are just supposed to ignore any form of reality in the show....and just be thankful pool is on TV in any form.....I think the show is a complete disaster....they could of done so much better.

You feel that its unbelievable that Finnegan could control the list?
Why would you think the best PLAYER would control the list?
The list serves two purposes in a real gambling environment -
First is the ego stroke for the players ON the list
"I'm number one" or "I wanna work my way up to number one"
But second, and more importantly, it establishes layers of insulation for the top guy.

When some Banger comes in and says "I wanna play the best guy in the room", do you actually GIVE him the best guy?
Hell, no.
Somebody has to weed out the bangers, and THATS Finnegans job. THATS why he "controls "the list". Can't bother the King with every peasant that comes to the gate!
You gotta use some "shortstops" to test his mettle first. You wanna play number one? Then you gotta get past some of these guys FIRST.

And that's EXACTLY why Mikey Frost intentionally dropped himself to 10th (team free money!)
Cuz now, any wannabe that wants to shoot for the glory has to play Mikey first. . . . .

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a reality show they sure change the positioning of the balls a lot. Makes me think the winner is pre determined.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
perhaps they are not the best players in NYC, but the best willing to be on TV !

Its a reality show with real characters using their real names. My problem is ....there is not a drop of reality in the story line. Of the original 5...only one can actually play pool above a B level. Its advertised as the best 5 pool players in NYC.....that's completely laughable. Its also a joke to think that some self appointed wannabee pool payer/godfather is going to dictate the process of finding the best player in NYC.

Wait it gets worse....now they expand the list to include more low B players...and low and behold the 2nd best pool player in the United States....who BTW doesn't live in NYC he lives in Maine or RI or wherever he calls home now.

I guess we are just supposed to ignore any form of reality in the show....and just be thankful pool is on TV in any form.....I think the show is a complete disaster....they could of done so much better.

I agree that perhaps they are not the top 10 poolplayers in NYC, but the best poolplayers WILLING TO PARTICIPATE in reality TV.

Because, in a perfectly honest world, the best player at Steinway Billiards is PROBABLY their house pro, Earl Strickland! (go on, DeChaine, get ya sum o THAT!) {THAT would be a match!}

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that perhaps they are not the top 10 poolplayers in NYC, but the best poolplayers WILLING TO PARTICIPATE in reality TV.

Because, in a perfectly honest world, the best player at Steinway Billiards is PROBABLY their house pro, Earl Strickland! (go on, DeChaine, get ya sum o THAT!) {THAT would be a match!}

Earl wants no part of MD in a long race of 10 ball

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who, but us, cares about the accuracy of The List?

I'd love to see The List at other pool halls, used for marketing purposes, not an exact list of the best there is.

That's its purpose, after all, for those who haven't figured it out yet.

Jeff Livingston

Well that list is going to be a short one if there is a 500 dollar minimum
Unless of corse some ones giving them free money to play with

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
A couple of month ago I stopped by Steinway to pick up a cue. The production crew was there filming a match. Afterwards, they had the player re-shoot some shots.

For a reality show they sure change the positioning of the balls a lot. Makes me think the winner is pre determined.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone. My comments were just an honest assessment of the show. I do stand by my original comments though....and as far as Scotty and Gary are concerned.....their low to mid B players....and they wouldn't be in the top 100 let alone 25 in Ohio.

I think the show is great.
Why is it Ohio doesn't have a reality show?

FYI. New York > Ohio

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best line in the show, Mike telling Amy "even if you cheated, it was a nice shot". LOL

I have learned so far not to play in that room without a ref watching the matches.

I don't get the point of being #1, even if the list is made up. You can't challenge anyone for their spot, therefore you just sit there till #2 wants to play you. So why the incentive to get to #1?

The players are better than I thought, unless there was some funky editing, both Ross and Scott seem to be able to run multiple racks.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that list is going to be a short one if there is a 500 dollar minimum
Unless of corse some ones giving them free money to play with

The show is putting up the play money.
Even if that was not posted before, there is no way that many players will play for a thousand races to 7 or 9 unless they are wealthy of pro players. They also pay out in new bills, last time I was a gambling set paid off in new bills was never.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if that was not posted before, there is no way that many players will play for a thousand races to 7 or 9 unless they are wealthy of pro players. They also pay out in new bills, last time I was a gambling set paid off in new bills was never.

Of corse they are no way a guy Ross's speed plays MD even with 6-5 on the money unless you have money to burn or someone's putting you in

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I'm glad I can just enjoy the show and pool being on prime time TV and not feel the need to tear apart every detail. Relax and watch it like a movie and you'll enjoy it more. :wink:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's been posted before as has every other answer for the ongoing questions. People refuse to read past posts and just jump right in midstream with the same tired critiques. The nature of the slightly out of the pool cult folks i guess.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I'm glad I can just enjoy the show and pool being on prime time TV and not feel the need to tear apart every detail. Relax and watch it like a movie and you'll enjoy it more. :wink:

Agreed! :thumbup:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:thumbup:

That is crazy talk. This is pool on TV which is serious business!!!

LOL the crowd here goes after this show just like my gear head friends go after Fast n' Loud, Street Outlaws etc. OMG they built a whole car in one episode and still had time to jump a Honda Z 50 over a small ramp with fire in front of it. That can't be real...oh noes!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited: