The Hustlers, Season 1, Episode 6

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't have a job is sales you may be missing your calling ,,

Ha ha - thank you, sir!
I think I learned from those late-night info-mercial hosts...the Golden rule is you have to believe in the product - I'm going all in on this one.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a reality show with real characters using their real names. My problem is ....there is not a drop of reality in the story line. Of the original 5...only one can actually play pool above a B level. Its advertised as the best 5 pool players in NYC.....that's completely laughable. Its also a joke to think that some self appointed wannabee pool payer/godfather is going to dictate the process of finding the best player in NYC.

Wait it gets worse....now they expand the list to include more low B players...and low and behold the 2nd best pool player in the United States....who BTW doesn't live in NYC he lives in Maine or RI or wherever he calls home now.

I guess we are just supposed to ignore any form of reality in the show....and just be thankful pool is on TV in any form.....I think the show is a complete disaster....they could of done so much better.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its a reality show with real characters using their real names. My problem is ....there is not a drop of reality in the story line. Of the original 5...only one can actually play pool above a B level. Its advertised as the best 5 pool players in NYC.....that's completely laughable. Its also a joke to think that some self appointed wannabee pool payer/godfather is going to dictate the process of finding the best player in NYC.

Wait it gets worse....now they expand the list to include more low B players...and low and behold the 2nd best pool player in the United States....who BTW doesn't live in NYC he lives in Maine or RI or wherever he calls home now.

I guess we are just supposed to ignore any form of reality in the show....and just be thankful pool is on TV in any form.....I think the show is a complete disaster....they could of done so much better.

I rather enjoy the show. And by the way if I understand things correctly, Finnegan is the actual Tournament Director at Steinway, possibly the premier poolroom in NYC, if not the country. He has to know the speed of hundreds of players in order to handicap them correctly for his handicapped tournaments. Yes it is TV and it is embellished. He is a typical alpha male pool player. Surely you have come across such characters in your extensive travels through the poolrooms. I know I have. That's one of the beauties of the game. We are all originals.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your post lost all credibility after you said thiers only one above a B

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

lol I was gonna respond but ...naw...I'll just let you have your shining moment all to yourself.

Have a great weekend.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The editing is getting better. This week I only caught one editing gaff. They were playing with Super Pro Aramiths TV, and showed a Brunswick Centennial 3-ball drop in the pocket. I tried to keep quiet, knowing the uproar it would cause on AZ. :D

As the series progress, I think the production crew is getting settled in, and ironing out their kinks.

Outside of our subculture, SJM isn't well known. Maybe this is a good opportunity to explain, so home audience can appreciate.

what can I say that I haven't already - this show is excellent and just keeps getting better with every episode.Episode 6 was stocked up with all sorts of excellence.

The cameo by Stu (our very own SJM) was GREAT. I did know he and Jennifer play once a week for years. For the show to highlight that and bring in the influential people in the pool world, not normally in the spotlight (like Stu), right to the front is beyond words important and HUGE.

This aspect has never been touched on before. It is a gold mine of possibilities and endless storylines for a show like The Hustlers to tangent off into.

Mike Dechaine is "Pool Hollywood A-list" in terms of his on-screen presence and high caliber performance. He is comfortable in his demeanor and dialogue is as natural as can be. Even in his cut-away interview segments (no doubt prepared remarks) he is the most natural in his presentation (Jennifer and Gary running a close second).

The show has me cheering and calling out to the TV, during matches - I am completely engaged.

The editing is excellent - improvement along the six episodes shows shows the editing team is learning the sport and adapting/adjusting to pace and time limitations. In my opinion, a pool match for a prime time audience cannot be edited any better than it is here.

This is truly a show to behold and there is potential that is being tapped to make it a huge boost to our sport/industry. In the 21st century media market--there is not room for Color-of-Money-One-Time-Movie Lasting-Impressions. Today the market is looking for the next show immediately after the first finishes. A big Hollywood blockbuster fades into obscurity in a months time, but a running reality series can be relevant for years. It's a what have you done for me lately media market, and a show like the Hustlers, with it's running format of great pool action, engaging characters chasing their spots on "The List" is just what is needed to keep pool alive.

Bravo.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your post lost all credibility after you said thiers only one above a B

Of the original 5 players...Jennifer Barretta is a very good player..probably a low A...her husband..the dude with the annoying girlfriend...the irish guy...and scotty are all low B players. At least in Ohio thats how they would rate.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the original 5 players...Jennifer Barretta is a very good player..probably a low A...her husband..the dude with the annoying girlfriend...the irish guy...and scotty are all low B players. At least in Ohio thats how they would rate.

i notice ohio guys keep talking crap...scotty is a b player?gary? thats why ohio has
all of those really cool places to go cause you guys are thinkers!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dont quit your day job to become a pool handicapper. Your other post made some good points and some real lame points-all of which have been made 300 times prior to you making them.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

People have different definitions of "b player" but in NYC everyone involved is at least a B level player. Don't sleep on Scott or Gary. Any unknown player that comes to town will probably not make it past them.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
i notice ohio guys keep talking crap...scotty is a b player?gary? thats why ohio has
all of those really cool places to go cause you guys are thinkers!

Calm down Scott. Ohio has much more to offer than NJ. Better cities, better schooling and a huge crop of pool talent. That said, I've lived in both places and can't imagine more than 25 people from Ohio are the fav against Scotty or Gary playing even.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the original 5 players...Jennifer Barretta is a very good player..probably a low A...her husband..the dude with the annoying girlfriend...the irish guy...and scotty are all low B players. At least in Ohio thats how they would rate.[/QUOTE

Hold on there hot rod , your comments came in the 6th episode ,, there's 10 players not 5

Scotty Greg Jarrod Jennifer Ross Mikey Gary are A players Emily B+ Smilely B

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone. My comments were just an honest assessment of the show. I do stand by my original comments though....and as far as Scotty and Gary are concerned.....their low to mid B players....and they wouldn't be in the top 100 let alone 25 in Ohio.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone. My comments were just an honest assessment of the show. I do stand by my original comments though....and as far as Scotty and Gary are concerned.....their low to mid B players....and they wouldn't be in the top 100 let alone 25 in Ohio.

I doubt there is 25 A players let alone 100 in Ohio

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With this logic I'm curious who would you rate as an A player in Ohio that could give them the 6 or the 7?

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Who, but us, cares about the accuracy of The List?

I'd love to see The List at other pool halls, used for marketing purposes, not an exact list of the best there is.

That's its purpose, after all, for those who haven't figured it out yet.

Jeff Livingston