The Hustlers, Season 1, Episode 7

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching Emily play on the show, and one moment she's on one side of the table shooting, and then all of a sudden she jumps to the other side shooting! Like we're going to believe she teleported to the other side of the table! Pffft, so unrealistic.

Picture a match between SVB and Dennis Orcullo. Shane gets down on the 5 and shoots it with some speed to get around the table. The 5 rattles out of the pocket and lays on the short rail, while the cue ball is on the other short rail behind a couple of balls. Dennis kicks and makes good contact, but the 5 rolls up by the side pocket and gives Shane a road map to run out. If you're editing match footage for time and for an audience who might not know enough to appreciate safety play or good kicking, you cut pretty much all of Dennis' footage. So SVB rolls the 4 in with shape for the 5 in a corner, then next thing you know he's shooting the 5 in the side from a totally different layout.

Editing a good but not great player like some in the show provides more opportunities for continuity errors.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made for TV. What about the "matches" being setup and shots being blatantly changed as if we are not going to catch it?

Just this last episode you see Jennifer during her challenge match adjusting the cue ball to get on the 2 when just before when she broke and made the one and the cue was left completely at the other end of the table and the opposite corner. Yet the 2 is sighting in the corner and she is adjusting the cue ball about 6-8 inches away all of a sudden.

If these guys are NY's finest, as they claim, why are they changing the table layout after shots? I understand them maybe purposely missing to create drama or suspense but to blatantly move balls so they can make shots is a disgrace to the game and the show.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I was watching Emily play on the show, and one moment she's on one side of the table shooting, and then all of a sudden she jumps to the other side shooting! Like we're going to believe she teleported to the other side of the table! Pffft, so unrealistic.

"Beam me up, Finny" ...:groucho:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is good in front of the camera, actually all of them do a great job.

I'm sure this experience will help everyone involved even if the show does not have a second season.

Maybe he's like Dechaine, quite a few people don't like him also, but I get his humor and attitude and feel he's not nearly as jerky as many say he is.

I agree he does do a good job along with the rest of them and yep it is a TV show ,most people understand that

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
LOL it's a tv show… he's the vehicle that drives the show. And honestly Finnegan is hilarious and my favorite character on the show. If you don't know him, you probably hate him but I think he's funny.

Finn is a character. I dont know him personally at all, but the last episode was so damn cringeworthy as a pool player...

They got Irish's buddy sharking Jenn, she calls him on it... they go outside to smoke and Irish and hsi buddy are saying that the shit-talking and the sharking is part of the game...

No it's not.

I understand it's a TV show, but ultimately it is a bad one. I find it entertaining and watch it but mainly for the wrong reasons.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member

That's all editing. They are making every rack look like a break and run so that even people that play as bad as Emily still look like poolplayers.

Wileydog

Banned
Made for TV. What about the "matches" being setup and shots being blatantly changed as if we are not going to catch it?

Just this last episode you see Jennifer during her challenge match adjusting the cue ball to get on the 2 when just before when she broke and made the one and the cue was left completely at the other end of the table and the opposite corner. Yet the 2 is sighting in the corner and she is adjusting the cue ball about 6-8 inches away all of a sudden.

If these guys are NY's finest, as they claim, why are they changing the table layout after shots? I understand them maybe purposely missing to create drama or suspense but to blatantly move balls so they can make shots is a disgrace to the game and the show.

They don't show every shot and every turn at the table. After the break, it didn't look like she was going to get a good shot to make the 2. A few shots may have taken place before she got ball in hand on the 2. She may have done a safety and he may have not got a good hit on the 2. She may have pushed out and he may have not got a good hit on the 2.

I enjoy the show, but don't pay that much attention while watching. When I see these observations, it's interesting to go back and look at it to see how much editing takes place to speed up the match.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I understand it's a TV show, but ultimately it is a bad one. I find it entertaining and watch it but mainly for the wrong reasons.

Probably pretty similar to all shows. I find pawn stars entertaining but I also understand that's not what a pawn shop is like.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Probably pretty similar to all shows. I find pawn stars entertaining but I also understand that's not what a pawn shop is like.

Does that make it good TV? I generally dont watch that shit. Only reason I'm watching this is because there is pool in it and there are familiar faces.

Pawn Stars, Honey Boo Boo, Duck Dynasty might all be entertaining as hell, I will never know.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the redhead is really evolving into a good role. She started out being really hard to like with her obnoxious whining. But now she is whining in a more comical way and seems to be really enjoying the role and fitting in. Don't see her having a future as Ross girlfriend and maybe she should work her way up the list as well.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Does that make it good TV? I generally dont watch that shit. Only reason I'm watchign this is because there is pool in it and there are familiar faces.

Pawn Stars, Honey Boo Boo, Duck Dynasty might all be entertaining as hell, I will never know.

Understood and somewhat agree. I normally don't watch a lot of reality shows and the ones I have, I don't watch on a regular basis. I can find humor and enjoy Duck Dynasty for what it is (aside from the shitty world views of their cast). Just the same, I can watch The Hustlers and enjoy it for what it is.

I think it's entertaining and fun to watch. It probably doesn't hurt that I know the people personally and I was around during some of the shoots as well as had the inside scoop on the whole process.

I was originally part of the show and helped the casting process early on with the shows developer Josh. When the show got bought by trutv, I was replaced for whatever reason. I was fairly bitter at first but in hindsight it's probably for the best.

I've stood up for the cast and show countless times but I've also been just as critical myself as I work in television and it's the the greatest production IMO. I feel certain things could be better and I also feel certain cast members are a mistake and don't help the show and are very over used. At the same time, there are a few who don't say a whole lot and are very under used.

I hope the show goes to a season two and so on. I think for it to have continued success, they'll need to add a second group of characters from another location. The rivalry brewing between NY and New Orleans would be natural, funny and easy. Very different place with very different styles of people. Would be cool but who knows.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't show every shot and every turn at the table.

Some I would understand, but when all balls are in the same place except maybe the cue ball I highly doubt they attempted another shoot and if that is the case, then they need to focus a little more on showing the match.

Wileydog

Banned
Some I would understand, but when all balls are in the same place except maybe the cue ball I highly doubt they attempted another shoot and if that is the case, then they need to focus a little more on showing the match.

The way the cue ball ended up beyond the 2 ball, I'm guessing she pushed out. They probably cut out a lot of the safeties and push outs because of the lack of entertainment value. Remember, they want to reach as many people as possible.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understood and somewhat agree. I normally don't watch a lot of reality shows and the ones I have, I don't watch on a regular basis. I can find humor and enjoy Duck Dynasty for what it is (aside from the shitty world views of their cast). Just the same, I can watch The Hustlers and enjoy it for what it is.

I think it's entertaining and fun to watch. It probably doesn't hurt that I know the people personally and I was around during some of the shoots as well as had the inside scoop on the whole process.

I was originally part of the show and helped the casting process early on with the shows developer Josh. When the show got bought by trutv, I was replaced for whatever reason. I was fairly bitter at first but in hindsight it's probably for the best.

I've stood up for the cast and show countless times but I've also been just as critical myself as I work in television and it's the the greatest production IMO. I feel certain things could be better and I also feel certain cast members are a mistake and don't help the show and are very over used. At the same time, there are a few who don't say a whole lot and are very under used.

I hope the show goes to a season two and so on. I think for it to have continued success, they'll need to add a second group of characters from another location. The rivalry brewing between NY and New Orleans would be natural, funny and easy. Very different place with very different styles of people. Would be cool but who knows.
Your job is finding out if Amy is a natural red head

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2strong4u

Banned

How dare you sir!

Yeah it seems Ms. Duddy's runouts get alot of editing.

2strong4u

Banned

How dare you Skippy, I mean there are women trying to get the cash.