The Impossible One Railer

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
As Damon R. once noted ...

"One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to end up with an ear full of cider."

Cheers!

Sunny

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool player stated to me that this shot can be one railed to the same pocket where the cue ball is placed in the corner pocket … He stated he saw a guy do it like it was nothing …. I told him the shot was impossibe… Please let me know your thoughts ….
Please inform the guy that says he can do this I will bet $500 a rattle on the shot lol

shooter_Hans

A pool player stated to me that this shot can be one railed to the same pocket where the cue ball is placed in the corner pocket … He stated he saw a guy do it like it was nothing …. I told him the shot was impossibe… Please let me know your thoughts ….
Yes it can be done. LOL

brunswick1901

In the late 1960s or early 1970s there was a young Black pool player named Youngblood who said he would give anyone 9 to 8 playing bank pool.

I saw Youngblood bank a ball similar to the shot in your diagram, the only difference was he put the cue ball on the spot. Sometimes he would miss the object ball completely and sometimes the object did not have enough speed to reach the pocket.

He made the bank two times with ten tries.

Reactions: bbb

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the late 1960s or early 1970s there was a young Black pool player named Youngblood who said he would give anyone 9 to 8 playing bank pool.

I saw Youngblood
He made the bank two times with ten tries.
So hed need to profit at 20% success rate.

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, that's a old trick shot we've shot at more than once. I've seen Buddy make it on a bet but he would never shoot it again so we could figure it out. I never could. I'm pretty sure its a thin double kiss back to your hole. Thats why they freeze it. Here's a impossible looking overlooked one pocket bank shot Buddys cousin taught me a long time ago. I shoot these pretty good. I shot this on a BB a while back which makes it harder.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As for the OP bank, from the geometry, it looks to be less than a 90 degree cut, ignoring throw.

It might be possible with outside and no double hit.

With a double hit, it might look something like this:

Reactions: bbb

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who mentioned anything about a single try? Only a Nit would shoot one barrel.
Screenshot_20240103-143748.jpg

I bet the person not shooting will bet 500 a shot for a loooooooong time.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Yea, that's a old trick shot we've shot at more than once. I've seen Buddy make it on a bet but he would never shoot it again so we could figure it out. I never could. I'm pretty sure its a thin double kiss back to your hole. Thats why they freeze it. Here's a impossible looking overlooked one pocket bank shot Buddys cousin taught me a long time ago. I shoot these pretty good. I shot this on a BB a while back which makes it harder.
harder on a valley? thats interesting

i shoot at these often, aiming at the edge and using spin, mostly in 1pkt

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Several different ways to make that shot. If somebody wanted to shoot it as a prop shot I would run the other way. Chances are they have spent hours and hours working on that shot.

My friend Mike was an oilfield roughneck. Six-five and able to deadlift over four hundred pounds, I found it nice to have him watching my back sometimes. He got to noticing that I never took bets on a shot when they came up in a match and I rarely missed those shots. He asked if I minded him covering those bets. I don't think he ever failed to come out in the black and some nights he came home with more than I did!

Perhaps my biggest gaff was a simple headspot to footspot shot. When no action was to be had in a place I would start practicing this shot. Soon somebody wanted to show me how to make it, I wasn't doing very good. "Dollar a shot?" Soon I would have one, or three or four guys betting a dollar on this shot when they wouldn't play a game for the table and a beer! A harder shot wouldn't have sucked them in. This was just the right degree of difficulty that my misses were believable and they thought they could do better.

I think this links into the other two of Bug's video instructionals too. Anything Bugs was willing to bet on banking in his prime I would have been all over his end of things.

Bugs was a genuine monster and knew things without giving them a second thought.

About the shot that started this thread, I think I would put the cue ball in the jaws of the pocket to make it less obvious I was using a semi-masse shot. Whatever it takes to make it, it can be found with a little effort.

Hu