The 'L' drill in pocket.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is mine on a 10 footer. One of my favorite drills.
Nice shooting Lenny, I think of you and the people at Kolbys all the time, I have some great memories from there, I'm like you , I loved playing pool for years , but then more important things kept getting in the way.
You played very well back then. I hope you and your family are doing well . Bill

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you go further up the first leg, the ball needs to go further up table to maintain the integrity of the drill. So far there seems to be a requirement (maybe psychological) to keep the ball in the half table. Be that as it may, the too straight in two rail shape is just one variation and people trying this drill should get the exact landings per given cue ball action clear in their heads; IOW a stricter workout requiring the same initial cue action on every shot.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
GC, I think He overlooked my, 'Signature' line of my posts. LOL.

Over 14,468 copies of my Book/DVD's in 19 countries Worldwide.
I apologize. It was not my intention to be insulting in any way.

The technique I'd mentioned, I'd discussed in person with students and also Tom Kennedy last weekend. Where a pro like Tom or yourself is more than comfortable taking similar-length backstrokes on all shots then adjusting the force of your forward stroke by feel, I've recommended that amateurs, to both learn how to control speed and to get the feel of a pro's stroke, take shorter bridges then backstroke all the way to the base of the hand. Obviously, neither of us would suggest an amateur backstroke all the way back with an 11" bridge on any of those L-drill shots.

Indeed, this technique helped a clinic student, who otherwise tends to rush at times ruining his play, as it's quite difficult to roughly accelerate a stroke with a jabbing motion when the backstroked cue tip first rises in height and levels out as it comes all the way back (so the ferrule disappears into the loop of the closed bridge, for example).

You did (from memory) a one-level L drill, one set of balls, but I felt like you rolled a little far on several shots for position, although it could be player's choice to roll closer to half-table. If you meant to get that far up the table, I apologize. I assumed you wanted feedback when you posted your run.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I apologize. It was not my intention to be insulting in any way.

The technique I'd mentioned, I'd discussed in person with students and also Tom Kennedy last weekend. Where a pro like Tom or yourself is more than comfortable taking similar-length backstrokes on all shots then adjusting the force of your forward stroke by feel, I've recommended that amateurs, to both learn how to control speed and to get the feel of a pro's stroke, take shorter bridges then backstroke all the way to the base of the hand. Obviously, neither of us would suggest an amateur backstroke all the way back with an 11" bridge on any of those L-drill shots.

Indeed, this technique helped a clinic student, who otherwise tends to rush at times ruining his play, as it's quite difficult to roughly accelerate a stroke with a jabbing motion when the backstroked cue tip first rises in height and levels out as it comes all the way back (so the ferrule disappears into the loop of the closed bridge, for example).

You did (from memory) a one-level L drill, one set of balls, but I felt like you rolled a little far on several shots for position, although it could be player's choice to roll closer to half-table. If you meant to get that far up the table, I apologize. I assumed you wanted feedback when you posted your run.
I'd be more than happy to view Your video of this drill.

I know the 'Correct' method for position in this drill. Getting position for every '3rd ball'.

BTW, Tommy K has been a friend of mine for over 40 years.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I'd be more than happy to view Your video of this drill.

I know the 'Correct' method for position in this drill. Getting position for every '3rd ball'.

BTW, Tommy K has been a friend of mine for over 40 years.
I'm not questioning your knowledge, I watched the video on a small scale on my phone and saw you were out of line on the 13, but it looked like something happened that was unusual on the 12-ball, so that's fine.

TK is a wonderful fellow! He will tell you about my knowledge base and also that my remarks were meant very kindly.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Nice shooting Lenny, I think of you and the people at Kolbys all the time, I have some great memories from there, I'm like you , I loved playing pool for years , but then more important things kept getting in the way.
You played very well back then. I hope you and your family are doing well . Bill
Thanks Bill. Hope you are doing well too. Life does have alot more to offer then pool and some priorities will take your attention. Kolbys sadly is no more if you had not heard.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Find a game and have fun. No mountains to climb.... BTW thanks again for recommending the HF G20 Cannon. ( I think that's the model). It has been great.
It is a great camera even today and its probably 10 years old. I still have mine sitting in the closet collecting dust along with my cues. :)

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bill. Hope you are doing well too. Life does have alot more to offer then pool and some priorities will take your attention. Kolbys sadly is no more if you had not heard.
Thanks I had not heard, I haven't hit 50 balls in the last 4 years. And they were all in my basement.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you guys using a template or are the balls just spaced a couple fingers apart or do you measure
For just 49.99 with free shipping I will hastily send you a template. I need to know the size of your table. Please include a self stamped self addressed legal size envelope. This offer is cash only😉
For a limited time only you will recieve the special template which can be used for any corner pocket so you won't need to purchase 4!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you guys using a template or are the balls just spaced a couple fingers apart or do you measure
The way I do 15 balls: Put a ball on the spot. For the next two balls on each side, have a one-ball space. After that, just space them by eye maybe with a little less space for the balls near the cushion. If you don't have enough space for the corner balls, they can't be made by the rules.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
The way I do 15 balls: Put a ball on the spot. For the next two balls on each side, have a one-ball space. After that, just space them by eye maybe with a little less space for the balls near the cushion. If you don't have enough space for the corner balls, they can't be made by the rules.
Correctol Mondo. But on the 2nd leg, sort of the opposite. More space between balls closer to the long rail.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yay. Completed the drill on my fifth try if the day. Better than I used to be.

I find that always commiting to going two rails with outside (and draw) spin produces the most consistent results for the vertical string of balls, and makes sure you get above the next ball. The horizontal string of balls is easier.