The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
JS should have copied this "program" during his run. Live feed, every day, with sponsors and advertisers. He might have made more money this way, and doing exhibitions in the morning to raise some cash to support himself. JS has the record, but as an event organizer he either went about it wrong or got bad advice.
Lets be honest here... Does anyone think the "JS attempts" were anything more than him pointing a camera at the table and continually flogging attempts at seeing how far he could get...? ...Hoping to catch lightening in a bottle.

The only difference between the JS runs and any of the ones listed in Straight Pool Challenge thread here on AZB that have a video, is he annouced that he was blocking off a bunch of time and people could view it live if they wanted to.

There was no marketing strategy because no one wants to see endless hours/days/weeks of practice runs by the same guy....lol.

The exhibition we're seeing unfold now has some entertainment value because we're watching top teir players free wheel for a short period of time. Supposedly for some level of reward. These are also players that we haven't gotten the opprotunity to watch go deep into a high ball count before.

JS is a victim of his own success in this matter. If you gave me the option to watch either SVB break his personal highrun of ~308, or watch one of the countless +300 ball runs of JS. I'd definitively watch the SVB stream.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Lets be honest here... Does anyone think the "JS attempts" were anything more than him pointing a camera at the table and continually flogging attempts at seeing how far he could get...? ...Hoping to catch lightening in a bottle.

The only difference between the JS runs and any of the ones listed in Straight Pool Challenge thread here on AZB that have a video, is he annouced that he was blocking off a bunch of time and people could view it live if they wanted to.

There was no marketing strategy because no one wants to see endless hours/days/weeks of practice runs by the same guy....lol.

The exhibition we're seeing unfold now has some entertainment value because we're watching top teir players free wheel for a short period of time. Supposedly for some level of reward. These are also players that we haven't gotten the opprotunity to watch go deep into a high ball count before.

JS is a victim of his own success in this matter. If you gave me the option to watch either SVB break his personal highrun of ~308, or watch one of the countless +300 ball runs of JS. I'd definitively watch the SVB stream.
Since only a couple hundred folks are watching this, I'm pretty sure a couple of hundred would have watched JS as well. Why not, many folks would love to watch someone playing and learning straight pool patterns from a pro. And just flip it on when you get home from work, or whenever you can.

Watching JS run 100's like water, several times a day, every day, and many, many 200s and a few 400's. Yeah, that would be horrible to watch. LOL

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member

Yeah, there’s something to this. I wouldn’t tune in often to watch JS attempt high runs for weeks on end, but I tried to watch as much as I could live of SVB, Ruslan, and Earl.

I would however pay a reasonable price for a digital download of JS’s 626, though this will probably never happen :(

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Watching JS run 100's like water, several times a day, every day, and many, many 200s and a few 400's. Yeah, that would be horrible to watch. LOL
Not entirely sure if you're being tongue in cheek here or not...lol.

However yes. Why would I bother tuning in to see JS rip off 100's-200's when I know at that could almost do that blind folded. I wouldn't tune in to watch Usain Bolt attempt 10sec 100m sprints either.

Now if JS wasn't to touch high runs attempts for a year or so, and then put on an exhibition for a week to take another crack at it, then maybe ya I'd watch.

Maybe I also should add that I don't enjoy watching identical cars race against each other on an oval track....

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Not entirely sure if you're being tongue in cheek here or not...lol.

However yes. Why would I bother tuning in to see JS rip off 100's-200's when I know at that could almost do that blind folded. I wouldn't tune in to watch Usain Bolt attempt 10sec 100m sprints either.

Now if JS wasn't to touch high runs attempts for a year or so, and then put on an exhibition for a week to take another crack at it, then maybe ya I'd watch.

Maybe I also should add that I don't enjoy watching identical cars race against each other on an oval track....
Actually, some folks love to watch it. Some folks go to baseball games early just to see one dude take batting practice and watch him hit dingers at will. I did that quite a bit for Frank Thomas back in the day. Enjoyed it every time I went. I didn't care about the other hitters, just want to see him mash the ball in batting practice. lol Straight pool players are a different breed, they enjoy the shit out of watching experts run the patterns and also learning something new.

And again, maybe you are missing the point. If folks don't want to watch, they don't have to. There are not many folks watching this event with several different names attached. Just saying, that is the pool world we live in. 200 lurkers out of 325M folks in the country.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it isn't. Not at all. Know how I know? You wrote 'monkey', but you wouldn't write out the other word.

And I'm not standing up for rkc here. I'm standing up for the use of language.
Good point. To be honest it did feel weird typing it. I have a bunch of family who live in Europe and we’ve actually talked about this word a few times. While it doesn’t move the needle here try saying over there amd see what happens.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen definitely is a racist and should be held accountable for his comments. That being said I'm sure Earl has never met or xheard of Mr. Wet Diaper Glen but I'll see Earl at Turning Stone and let him know of Glens racist monkey comments.
Racist? When you DO see Earl, go ahead and tell him I said he plays pool for the viewing audience like a trained money jumping for the bananas thrown at them. A REAL Professional pool players brought in to entertain the viewing audience gets paid an UP FRONT fee BEFORE they even put their cue together. When Willie and Fats played, they were BOTH paid $5,000 each just to show up, then more for actually playing! So tell Earl I said he's playing like a trained monkey in your event!!! And yes, Earl does know me, ask him about the 4 rail spin shot i showed him when he was up in Washington state!!!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it isn't. Not at all. Know how I know? You wrote 'monkey', but you wouldn't write out the other word.

And I'm not standing up for rkc here. I'm standing up for the use of language.
If that doesn't settle this -- nothing will. Last I checked, Earl wasn't a black guy.

This is silly.

DeeDeeCues

Good point. To be honest it did feel weird typing it. I have a bunch of family who live in Europe and we’ve actually talked about this word a few times. While it doesn’t move the needle here try saying over there amd see what happens.

Well, context is everything in some cases.

I should have given credit where it is due, my reply was paraphrasing the comedian John Mulaney. The sentiment is something I agree with.

Chili Palmer

Give or take an 1"
Silver Member
Racist? When you DO see Earl, go ahead and tell him I said he plays pool for the viewing audience like a trained money jumping for the bananas thrown at them. A REAL Professional pool players brought in to entertain the viewing audience gets paid an UP FRONT fee BEFORE they even put their cue together. When Willie and Fats played, they were BOTH paid $5,000 each just to show up, then more for actually playing! So tell Earl I said he's playing like a trained monkey in your event!!! And yes, Earl does know me, ask him about the 4 rail spin shot i showed him when he was up in Washington state!!!

What happened to your tri-cities thing?

Better leave this stuff up to the people that get things done.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'll even describe the shot. Standing at the head rail, cue ball is frozen to the right side rail at the second diamond. On that side of the table in that far corner pocket is a ball, then 2 diamonds up there's another ball froze to that side rail.

Shoot the cue ball, hitting the rail its froze to first, making the corner ball, but bank the cue ball 4 rails first before sinking it😉

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen...I like the information you have shared over the years here and especially in the Mechanics forum. I would really like to see the 4 rail spin shot you showed Earl.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
earl probably just acted suprised and wow and gave ya a big fiver on the 4 railer and turned around rolling his eyes

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen...I like the information you have shared over the years here and especially in the Mechanics forum. I would really like to see the 4 rail spin shot you showed Earl.
As I described in the layout, shoot the cue ball with extreme 3 o'clock side spin in the direction of the side pocket on that side of the table, towards the foot rail. When the cue ball clears the frozen ball on the right, the cue ball hits the end rail, then reverses direction and banks off the end rail to the right side rail between the two balls, then the spin off that rail will send the cue ball back up to the head rail, again taking another spin turn into the left side rail, then come off that rail straight back down table diagonally back to the ball sitting in the corner pocket, making the ball. I made this shot on my first attempt after challenging Earl to bank the cue ball from the frozen position on the rail, hitting that rail first, then hitting 3 more rails. He though about it for a minute, then said go ahead, I want to see this!!!

And by the way, I made the shot on a Valley 8ft!