The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I was watching Schmidt narrate one of his 300+ runs. He was saying how he is much less cautious until he gets to 80 or so. When most of the runs peter out before you get to 30, maybe it helps you get more attempts in. Then when you have a good run you really focus. I don't know what the break even point is for making more attempts vs making the most out of each of those attempts, but if you are at 20 and see several low percentage shots in front of you, it may average out better to ditch and start over, conserving energy, etc. In an actual match the cost benefit will change.
I agree.
I think there is a difference between warp speed and moving it along.
Earl is turning routine stuff into a nighmare for himself. He is constantly in trouble having to shoot his way out. and it's carrying over into his bigger runs.
Very few good runs are ever clean, there are always difficulties to get past.

Trying for big runs and conserving mental energy doesn't mean you can't stick to the program a little. Taking the balls out in small groups, clearing the rails, clearing pocket lanes, creating break shots etc. Straight pool 101.
You can do all of that while playing quickly. He is hitting balls at warp speed. His cue ball is flying all over the table for no reason, taking crazy shots, with big 9 ball strokes.
I don't know anyone who is not rooting for Earl.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Earl is shooting too many shots to the up table corners — that’s not only a little more dangerous but it usually limits what you can do with the CB.

He is also passing up early opportunities to clear up problem clusters and leaving them until later which reduces his options if something goes awry.

He is also frequently going into clusters without a plan on where he is sending those balls and/or without a safety ball. IOWs he goes into a cluster often creating a new cluster.

I also think he is putting too many miles on his CB. The further you send it the more precision you lose on where it’s going to land.

Lastly his end patterns are often horrific and that, along with the aforementioned, catches up with everybody. You don’t see many stop, stop, stop end patterns with Earl. He does seem to have a good hold of his two rail and cross table position plays to get on the break ball but he doesn’t need to make it that tough on himself.

Anywhos, just my observations.

Lou Figueroa
That is the way I see it, too.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Earl is shooting too many shots to the up table corners — that’s not only a little more dangerous but it usually limits what you can do with the CB.

He is also passing up early opportunities to clear up problem clusters and leaving them until later which reduces his options if something goes awry.

He is also frequently going into clusters without a plan on where he is sending those balls and/or without a safety ball. IOWs he goes into a cluster often creating a new cluster.

I also think he is putting too many miles on his CB. The further you send it the more precision you lose on where it’s going to land.

Lastly his end patterns are often horrific and that, along with the aforementioned, catches up with everybody. You don’t see many stop, stop, stop end patterns with Earl. He does seem to have a good hold of his two rail and cross table position plays to get on the break ball but he doesn’t need to make it that tough on himself.

Lou Figueroa
I agree- he is definitely shooting too many balls in the upper corners. However, he is very good at those shots- almost never a doubt about pocketing them. However, as you said, it can negatively impact precision position play

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Say man you got 59¢ I can borrow?……☕

It was meant to be 49 cents (49x14=686), that would be plenty.

I watched a little last night till he hit an 8 ball so soft it didn’t make it half way to the hole 🤦🏻‍♂️, he was rightfully pissed off big time about that one.

Anyway…I saw there was an electronic scoreboard under the table next to his. 👍🏻

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
This is a very good analysis...but it is beautiful to watch him shoot so straight.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Now THAT we can agree on!😉

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I watched a little last night till he hit an 8 ball so soft it didn’t make it half way to the hole 🤦🏻‍♂️, he was rightfully pissed off big time about that one.

Fatboy always looking for a profit. :)

DeeDeeCues

Deflection isn't really the point of a 14mm shaft, the tip is bigger on the cue ball, more contact less chance of miscues, and much closer to center ball contact, then, less deflection because of the thicker shaft, yet at the same time, more spin on the cue ball because more tip is in contact with the cue ball to increase side spin.

Guess again.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Guess again.
I had buddy of mine in Germany order a McDermott from me with a
15mm shaft, back in 1980, Timm Perkins was one of the best players in Europe back then, and he played the hell out of 14.1, that was his reasoning for the 15mm shaft, so whats YOUR explanation?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
So I guess what you're trying to say is that he doesn't know much about playing straight pool. Also, none of your points has anything to do with needing time to adjust to the conditions.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I had buddy of mine in Germany order a McDermott from me with a
15mm shaft, back in 1980, Timm Perkins was one of the best players in Europe back then, and he played the hell out of 14.1, that was his reasoning for the 15mm shaft, so whats YOUR explanation?
Cole Dickson explained to me that straight pool favored a stiff shaft for precision in cue ball placement. While a 9 ball shaft needed to be more flexible for the long shape. Almost like the pole vault.
Watching Ray Martin play 9 ball, I thought it was evident that he was a straight pool champion. The way he executed with short precise shape was beautiful.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I still need that 59¢, it’s cold and raining outside. 😰☕️ I can’t get a coffee for 49¢, 😔

🙏🏼 Fatboy

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
I still need that 59¢, it’s cold and raining outside. 😰☕️ I can’t get a coffee for 49¢, 😔

🙏🏼 Fatboy

The big business now where you’re living is begging. They’re making 6 figures at it with the right schtick. 😱

You’ll figure out how to get 2 nickels to rub together. 😳

🤣🤣😂😂