The "limp fish" handshake...

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Pool players probably shake hands with others more than most people, and I think your handshake tells a lot about your character...

When I tell someone "good luck" and shake their hand, I'm looking for a firm grasp to show respect to one another. If the person gives me the "limp fish", I feel mildly disgusted, and I want to win even more.

I don't like the people who try to squeeze your hand off, either. It seems like they're trying to intimidate you with their physical strength, instead of their game.

I'm just looking for something in the middle...I don't want to feel like I'm shaking hands with a dead person, but I don't want to be subjected to the macho man, "I'm tougher than you" shake either.

What do you guys think?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
What your handshake says about you

Pool players probably shake hands with others more than most people, and I think your handshake tells a lot about your character...

When I tell someone "good luck" and shake their hand, I'm looking for a firm grasp to show respect to one another. If the person gives me the "limp fish", I feel mildly disgusted, and I want to win even more.

I don't like the people who try to squeeze your hand off, either. It seems like they're trying to intimidate you with their physical strength, instead of their game.

I'm just looking for something in the middle...I don't want to feel like I'm shaking hands with a dead person, but I don't want to be subjected to the macho man, "I'm tougher than you" shake either.

What do you guys think?

Actually, part of how that "limp fish" or "wet noodle" handshake may be happening, is how *you* grip the hand that's offered to you. Many folks don't realize it, especially when they're nervous, but they tend to be tentative when accepting the hand that's offered to them for a handshake. Thus, they tend to grab onto only the fingers of the hand, wanting to make minimal contact and pull away, yet complain that they got a limp fish handshake.

I personally *hated* when I offered my hand to someone for a handshake, and that person chose to grip down on only the fingers of my hand -- especially if they then decided to squash my fingers together "machismo" style like they're trying to show who's boss. In the past, I'd sometimes resorted to smacking that person's hand to force them to open it, and re-grip their hand properly, not letting them close down on my fingers. (Especially to invoke the embarrassment upon them to show them they didn't even know how to give a proper handshake.) Nowadays, I give them a hand with the fingers widely stretched, so they're forced to reach in deeper to get past my splayed fingers, where I can close down and grip down on their hand. And I look them right in the eye when I say "Good luck," "Let's have a great match," "Nice match / playing you," etc.

So you might want to think back when you got a limp fish handshake, and consider perhaps how *you* gripped that person's hand. Were you tentative, "going through the motions of a handshake to get it over with," and ended up gripping the person's fingers? If so, you forced that person to give you a limp fish, because there's not much one can do when only his/her fingers are being gripped and squeezed together.

Here's a good article on what your handshake says about you:

http://buzzle.com/editorials/1-15-2006-86424.asp

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Actually, part of how that "limp fish" or "wet noodle" handshake may be happening, is how *you* grip the hand that's offered to you. Many folks don't realize it, especially when they're nervous, but they tend to be tentative when accepting the hand that's offered to them for a handshake. Thus, they tend to grab onto only the fingers of the hand, wanting to make minimal contact and pull away, yet complain that they got a limp fish handshake.

I personally *hated* when I offered my hand to someone for a handshake, and that person chose to grip down on only the fingers of my hand -- especially if they then decided to squash my fingers together "machismo" style like they're trying to show who's boss. In the past, I'd sometimes resorted to smacking that person's hand to force them to open it, and re-grip their hand properly, not letting them close down on my fingers. (Especially to invoke the embarrassment upon them to show them they didn't even know how to give a proper handshake.) Nowadays, I give them a hand with the fingers widely stretched, so they're forced to reach in deeper to get past my splayed fingers, where I can close down and grip down on their hand. And I look them right in the eye when I say "Good luck," "Let's have a great match," "Nice match / playing you," etc.

So you might want to think back when you got a limp fish handshake, and consider perhaps how *you* gripped that person's hand. Were you tentative, "going through the motions of a handshake to get it over with," and ended up gripping the person's fingers? If so, you forced that person to give you a limp fish, because there's not much one can do when only his/her fingers are being gripped and squeezed together.

Here's a good article on what your handshake says about you:

http://buzzle.com/editorials/1-15-2006-86424.asp

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

I shake hands with everyone the same way...Eye contact, 1 to 2 seconds of contact, and done. I'm not tentative, I show everyone respect before (and after) a pool match, whether they deserve it or not.

Great post, and thanks for the link.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I shake hands with everyone the same way...Eye contact, 1 to 2 seconds of contact, and done. I'm not tentative, I show everyone respect before (and after) a pool match, whether they deserve it or not.

Did you know that only 42% of the average American males wash their hands after taking a whiz in a public restroom? The Harris Interactive study further finds that only 34% of males wash after the drippy dingle dance in a pool room.

I'll have none of this handshaking sh*t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_n1pgl8sA

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is only one guy I don't shake hands with at the local tourney I play in sometimes. It is because I have witnessed him leaving the restroom without washing his hands. The first time we played he was upset when I didn't shake his hand. I told him "I am not trying to be rude, you just don't wash your hands after you use the restroom." He was still a little upset but I think it was more embarrassed than upset. Either way I think not washing your hands after using the restroom is disgusting.

BVal

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I can't judge people based on that. Everybody has quirks, if they can live with them, I can live with them.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member

I've always known you to be a stand up guy 420. :thumbup:

KK9 <-- agrees, a proper shake shows what you're made of

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
I agree

420 you are so right. Not just in pool but in life in general. I was told a while back that you can tell a lot by someone's hand shake.(and its so true) Sometimes when I'm out and meet someone new I get the limp shake. Even some of my good friends have a weak hand shake. WTF:confused:

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
KK9 said:
Did you know that only 42% of the average American males wash their hands after taking a whiz in a public restroom? The Harris Interactive study further finds that only 34% of males wash after the drippy dingle dance in a pool room.

I'll have none of this handshaking sh*t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_n1pgl8sA

There is only one guy I don't shake hands with at the local tourney I play in sometimes. It is because I have witnessed him leaving the restroom without washing his hands. The first time we played he was upset when I didn't shake his hand. I told him "I am not trying to be rude, you just don't wash your hands after you use the restroom." He was still a little upset but I think it was more embarrassed than upset. Either way I think not washing your hands after using the restroom is disgusting.

BVal

Jeez, guys, I wash my hands...:D

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
I would probably shake your hand then and give you a limp wristed one just to fvck with you. :)

BVal

lmfao i know the player that he speaks of and he isn't lying. as far as the limp handshake i thought that was your only handshake ahahahaha j/k b

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I would probably shake your hand then and give you a limp wristed one just to fvck with you. :)

BVal

And I would take it in the spirit in which it was intended...;)

Michael (doesn't mind being fvcked with, depending on the person) :D

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you guys think?

i do the early grab. grab the fingers of the hand and not the hand.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Do you realize that your hands had more germs on them when you walked into the bathroom than most urinals have in them? I'd almost be willing to bet on more germs on the pool balls than in the urinal .(in a kept up restroom)

even more reasons to wash em

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you realize that your hands had more germs on them when you walked into the bathroom than most urinals have in them? I'd almost be willing to bet on more germs on the pool balls than in the urinal .(in a kept up restroom)
I wash my hands after every match as well as using purell off and on during the match. I like to keep my hands clean especially in dirty places.

BVal

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yes, Neil, but the idea is that your hands should have less germs on them when you walk out of the restroom, than when you walked in. ;)