The "limp fish" handshake...

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Handshake? I like to give my opponents a hug before and after a match!

That gives me a great idea for a move! Right before the match, offer your handshake, say "good luck" and when he shakes, pull his hand up and kiss it like he's the Queen of England. That's get his head all twisted.

Or give him a hug and nuzzle your nose in his neck. Then give him a wink.
:eek:

How's he gonna shoot straight after that?

But seriously tho, back to 420's OP. If someone shakes my hand weakly, or overpowers it, then it does make me wonder, even if just a bit, about the guy.

Give me a firm shake with eye contact, or I'm thinking I have someone insecure and I just got the first swing of momentum.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
All good points, but in the pool room in a match, it isn't the hand shake that makes the impression it is the attitude/character that the competitor displays while competing.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
That gives me a great idea for a move!
Or give him a hug and nuzzle your nose in his neck. Then give him a wink.
:eek:

How's he gonna shoot straight after that?

Maybe you could also lick his ear just a LITTLE bit....:thumbup: ;) :D

KK9 said:
Give me a firm shake with eye contact, or I'm thinking I have someone insecure and I just got the first swing of momentum.

I don't think I've ever lost to one of the limp fishers, that lack of respect gives me even more motivation to destroy my opponent....

whatthehell

Registered
Out here in CA, I typically never see a handshake offered at all. To be honest, I actually hardly here anyone offer "good luck" either.

Typically I usually holler good luck to my opponent as a sign of respect and good sportsmanship, and, occasionally, if they are close in proximity to me, I will offer a pound (fist pound). Usually after a match has taken place, then I typically shake hands and either congratulate them on their win (which seems to be happening too much lately, lol) or tell them they played great etc.

I agree that the handshake should be firm, but not too much as to intimidate. The limp handshake frustrates me too, because I feel like they don't care of don't mean it and just want to get away from me or something.

Either way, interesting post sir! :thumbup:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I tell someone "good luck" and shake their hand, I'm looking for a firm grasp to show respect to one another. If the person gives me the "limp fish", I feel mildly disgusted, and I want to win even more.

I don't like the people who try to squeeze your hand off, either. It seems like they're trying to intimidate you with their physical strength, instead of their game.

I happen to have a touch of arthritus in my right hand. A firm handshake causes great pain to me. THis is not even to the squeeze your hand off level, just a firm handshake causes great pain sometimes taking 20 minutes to an hour to fully subside.

Thus, I try for the gentlemanly bow instead of the handshake.

I think your taking of a limp wristed handshake as a slight is way overreading the situation.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lassiter used to shake with his left hand. Not sure why, maybe he was worried somebody would squeeze his right hand too hard and mess up his stroke.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool players probably shake hands with others more than most people, and I think your handshake tells a lot about your character...

When I tell someone "good luck" and shake their hand, I'm looking for a firm grasp to show respect to one another. If the person gives me the "limp fish", I feel mildly disgusted, and I want to win even more.

I don't like the people who try to squeeze your hand off, either. It seems like they're trying to intimidate you with their physical strength, instead of their game.

I'm just looking for something in the middle...I don't want to feel like I'm shaking hands with a dead person, but I don't want to be subjected to the macho man, "I'm tougher than you" shake either.

What do you guys think?

Funny you should post this up. I was going to post up yesterday about how to fade playing agianst someone you can't stand.

My post was going to start with how he shakes hands really soft and limp wristed........

:rolleyes:

Sev

I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Silver Member
I give a firm confident handshake and look the person in the eyes as I do it. It is accompanied by a greeting and a smile.

When I get a dead fish handshake I have the feeling I just squeezed a warm turd.

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member
I know this is off subject but in the movie "Role Models" the king of the dungeons and dragons puts out his hand to be kissed when greeting. The guy grabs it and sort of shimmys it a little. Very funny. I hate shaking hands with people with huge hands. One of my friends' hand is so big I feel like his palm is squeezing my entire hand.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Pool players probably shake hands with others more than most people, and I think your handshake tells a lot about your character...

I'm just looking for something in the middle...I don't want to feel like I'm shaking hands with a dead person, but I don't want to be subjected to the macho man, "I'm tougher than you" shake either.

What do you guys think?

I hate the limp fish handshakes too. On the other end I did have one clown try and macho man me too. LOLz. I squeezed back and you could here bones cracking in his hand. Don't mess with someone who uses there hands all day.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
A limp fish seems like you cant trust them that erie feeling neverhard a hard day of work ...

A firm hardy hand shake speaks trust but be smart about it there could be an angle to it.

Which would you hire by hand shake to work on your car as a mechanic.

craig

Pii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
420 you are so right. Not just in pool but in life in general. I was told a while back that you can tell a lot by someone's hand shake.(and its so true) Sometimes when I'm out and meet someone new I get the limp shake. Even some of my good friends have a weak hand shake. WTF:confused:

I wouldn't put to much into a handshake. I can't tell you the number of times someone has gone to shake my hand and then clap down on my fingers. Maybe it's you not waiting long enough for the other guy to get his hand in the proper position before shaking it. ;)

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I wouldn't put to much into a handshake. I can't tell you the number of times someone has gone to shake my hand and then clap down on my fingers. Maybe it's you not waiting long enough for the other guy to get his hand in the proper position before shaking it. ;)

I get that kinda weird shit too. It's like they're afraid of ya.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I work on Tables alot so i have ahard grip sometimes and people complain about it even if i wasnt trying to clamp down hard. Most of us have swung a hammer or two build something or repaired it need strength to do it. Maybe the limp fish is there tight grip since they swing a cue all day for 30 yrs and hand is developed just for swinging a cue for that special touch .

Craig

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
I would shake your hand very firm.......No intimidation meant either......I'd just be trying to break your hand and pop your shoulder out of socket so I could win!:thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the fish handshake can be a cultural thing

The fish handshake can be a cultural thing. Some cultures favor a very soft handshake. On the other hand, some people grasp your hand firmly because they fear the damage to their hand if they leave it limp.

I favor a quick firm grip and release, just long enough to transfer the booger from my hand to yours.

Hu