The NOOB....guess i did not understand how much knowledge i lacked

  • Thread starter Thread starter alwayzcocacola0
  • Start date Start date
A

alwayzcocacola0

Guest
My name is john. I love Jesus. married with 2 little boys.I have been playing pool for about 8 years. Just decided to get serious a few days ago. Always been a barbox player until i found the bigger tables a few days ago. I really want to start taking my game to the next level, I see that there are manufacturers besides Meucci, Schon, Joss, McDermott and Players. Always assumed Meucci was the best bc i had one lol. I am looking for advice on a stick that will be as close to A+ but not cost 1,000. Advice on Books? training aids anything. as far as where my game is I am not sure. if anyone has a good barometer for me to judge by i will give it my best. I am probably 3/4 past beginner and almost intermediate according to real standards. i can run a few racks on a BB table no problem just trying to get to the point where I am a good player. all help appreciated and look forward to being an active part of the community.
 
Welcome

Welcome John. Glad to have ya. Advice I'd give is always play better players, and watch what they do. Instruction from a certified instructor is always a plus, when affordable.
 
i've actually noticed a lot of major(little) flaws in the strokes of people who only play on barboxes.

i'd definitely get something stiffer than your meucci. it'll help when you need to really stroke a ball (happens more on a 9ft table than the barbox)

there're plenty of production cues that play well and don't cost a bundle. mezz (my personal favorite), schon, joss, viking, predator are all decent playing cues that won't cost you your first born child.

if you're going to start playing on big tables than you should take up 14.1. that's one of my favorite games and it'll hone all the little tweeks you have to make when moving from the barbox to the 9ft tables.
 
poolplayer2093 said:
if you're going to start playing on big tables than you should take up 14.1. that's one of my favorite games and it'll hone all the little tweeks you have to make when moving from the barbox to the 9ft tables.
straight pool?
 
Last edited:
alwayzcocacola0 said:
My name is john. I love Jesus. married with 2 little boys.I have been playing pool for about 8 years. Just decided to get serious a few days ago. Always been a barbox player until i found the bigger tables a few days ago. I really want to start taking my game to the next level, I see that there are manufacturers besides Meucci, Schon, Joss, McDermott and Players. Always assumed Meucci was the best bc i had one lol. I am looking for advice on a stick that will be as close to A+ but not cost 1,000. Advice on Books? training aids anything. as far as where my game is I am not sure. if anyone has a good barometer for me to judge by i will give it my best. I am probably 3/4 past beginner and almost intermediate according to real standards. i can run a few racks on a BB table no problem just trying to get to the point where I am a good player. all help appreciated and look forward to being an active part of the community.
Welcome, there seems to be a few newbies joining the best billiards forum on the planet. Glad to have you here, and you should have no problem finding info on cues that will fit your requirements.
 
alwayzcocacola0 said:
this is played how????


you ever see "the hustler" paul newman?

15 balls are racked together and broken open softly. each ball is 1 point and the players race to a predetermined number. each shot must be called (ball in pocket only)

here're some great examples
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=127230&highlight=video

the game's great. it's a good way to really judge how far you've come. you can play it by yourself by just setting up your own break ball and seeing how far you can go.

here's a video of neils doing it
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1379098923147899915&hl=en


here's a video of a guy playing a bad safe and his opponent getting loose on him

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v17165064KAa6rgZw
 
so not any particular order? and ty all for the warm welcome
 
alwayzcocacola0 said:
so not any particular order? and ty all for the warm welcome

yeah run them in any order you feel like. the game frustrates the h#ll out of me. it really gets to me when i miss an easy shot and end what could have been a long run.

watch the videos to get an idea of how to break the balls. after you run down to the last ball re rack leaving an empty space where the top ball should be. the cue ball and last ball on the table stay where they are (the videos will explain better than i did)
 
The 99 Critcal Shots in Pool Ray Martin
The Science of Pocket Billiards Jack Koehler
any books dvds/tapes by Robert Byrne

Welcome to az. It 's a good place to learn and have fun.
 
just got back from barnes and noble where i picked up 99 critical shots in pool 30th anniversary edition. hope its half as good as advertised
 
Welcome alwayzcocacola0. Do a search for "the ghost" and you'll find a nice little game that will help you measure the quality of your game, as well as learn quickly. In the meantime, nice having you here. (I'm actually fairly new myself, but it doesn't take long to get addicted).
 
Welcome!!

alwayzcocacola0 said:
My name is john. I love Jesus. married with 2 little boys.I have been playing pool for about 8 years. Just decided to get serious a few days ago. Always been a barbox player until i found the bigger tables a few days ago. I really want to start taking my game to the next level, I see that there are manufacturers besides Meucci, Schon, Joss, McDermott and Players. Always assumed Meucci was the best bc i had one lol. I am looking for advice on a stick that will be as close to A+ but not cost 1,000. Advice on Books? training aids anything. as far as where my game is I am not sure. if anyone has a good barometer for me to judge by i will give it my best. I am probably 3/4 past beginner and almost intermediate according to real standards. i can run a few racks on a BB table no problem just trying to get to the point where I am a good player. all help appreciated and look forward to being an active part of the community.

I wouldn't spend more than 2-300 on a good sneaky or used player. Plenty for sale here on AZB. Just watch the ads for a while. You can get a new (past model) sneaky Predator cue on J&J for that amount, or a Diveny or many others. As to the books a great starter book is "Mastering Pool" by George Fels..... that one alone can get you all the way to a high speed, and would be a good supplement to the "99 critical shots" that you have. There are some good DVD's available.... just use the search tab to find Many, many, many advisors telling which are best. Many great coaches here also ..... watch and find out who they are and go back and read their threads.

Good luck, and feel free to P.M. people as there are many here who love to share their knowledge of the game.

td
 
alwayzcocacola0 said:
just trying to get to the point where I am a good player. all help appreciated and look forward to being an active part of the community.

Welcome to AZB! If you want to get the skills and knowledge you need, give me a call. I'm in Charlotte, about 4 hours away. I teach a very comprehensive 2 day course that will give you the tools you need and the drills you will want. Our success rate for students, based on the feedback we get from them is almost 95% satisfaction, and most students say the class exceeds their expectations. If you can't come to Charlotte, I can possibly schedule a couple of days in Atlanta.

My number is on my web site. Give me a call.

Steve
 
Back
Top