The Rack in Detroit

bumbay3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Youre right, it was Phil Hubbard. I got his first name mixed up with the super famous tush hog also from Baltimore, Jerry Ebersol. Phil and his wife were later murdered in a Motel Room down south, over a probably dope deal. Phil used to tell a great story about when he had just got out of the navy and was drunk at a carnival. There was a chimpanzee in a cage with his left hand on the bars. The pitchman would pay off anybody who could get the chimp to take his hand off the bars. Phil was with another tush hog who was also drunk and they both went into the cage. Phil thought he would end it right away and sucker punched the chimp. That didnt work, and the Chimp whacked him so hard on the top of his head that he drew blood. The chimp then grabbed Phil's partner and started slamming him all over the cage. Phil crawled out of the cage and watched his partner get tossed around. In the meantime, the chimp did all this and still never took his left hand off the bars.

Phil also made a serious attempt at "jarring" me while I was playing James Texas Blood Brown, at The Rack. It was a noble effort and almost worked. He made a slick switch on my coffee cup, and I would have went for it, save that the coffee had cream but no sugar, so I came to immediately.

Beard

Hello Beard,

You have any stories about "THE LEFT HAND DUKE"? Was he as good as I have heard from former players, cue makers and big money players? Was he that great?

Bumbay

Last edited:

Rocky247

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Rack

Well I lived 7 houses off the corner from the rack and I was friends with Gil Elias family so I was let(buzzed in) at an early age of 16. I learned my pool at Cushion and Cue which was 1/2 mile from the Rack. I spent all my time between these 2 places before I went into the Army in 1966. Just some of the names that were in the Rack at any given time. Freddy Salem,Baby Face,Jew Paul,Jimmy Mataya,Pittsburgh John,CalifJohn,PeterRabbit,JoeMarx,Fusco,Cornbread,Jonesy,Ritchie Ambrose Billy Incardone. just to name a few.The games were outrageous and so was the betting. One pocket,7 ball on a snooker table,banks and 9 ball.Best story Jonesie walking in with about 5-6 black players and 2 shopping bags of money making games.
The place was the Real "Color of Money"!

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Rosie?

I heard Orville Hubbard the Mayor of Dearborn started The Rack to keep the blacks out of Dearborn.

"Airplane Ben Braskey" came around after he sold TWA to Howard Hughes for 5 Billion dollars cash!!! He'd bring a Million Dollars cash every nite. He had Gay bodyguards, they liked to frisk you up and down before you could come near him.

Wasnt that "Rosie?" I thought his name was Rosenbloom, or Rosenberg. Airplane Ben I didnt know.

Beard

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Cecil

Hello Beard,

You have any stories about "THE LEFT HAND DUKE"? Was he as good as I have heard from former players, cue makers and big money players? Was he that great?

Bumbay

The Left Hand Duke was Cecil the Serpent Tugwell. He was a pretty good player. He originally played pool right handed, got injured and switched to the other side and played just as good. He was not a pleasant loser.

Beard

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
The Left Hand Duke was Cecil the Serpent Tugwell. He was a pretty good player. He originally played pool right handed, got injured and switched to the other side and played just as good. He was not a pleasant loser.

Beard

Freddy

I always though that Cecil switching hands was one of the greatest stories of determination I have ever seen or heard. Of course, what else was Cecil going to do, get a job?

Kevin

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Well I lived 7 houses off the corner from the rack and I was friends with Gil Elias family so I was let(buzzed in) at an early age of 16. I learned my pool at Cushion and Cue which was 1/2 mile from the Rack. I spent all my time between these 2 places before I went into the Army in 1966. Just some of the names that were in the Rack at any given time. Freddy Salem,Baby Face,Jew Paul,Jimmy Mataya,Pittsburgh John,CalifJohn,PeterRabbit,JoeMarx,Fusco,Cornbread,Jonesy,Ritchie Ambrose Billy Incardone. just to name a few.The games were outrageous and so was the betting. One pocket,7 ball on a snooker table,banks and 9 ball.Best story Jonesie walking in with about 5-6 black players and 2 shopping bags of money making games.

There were 2 Baby Faces that frequented the Capitol Cue Club, Baby Face Al Whitlow and Baby Face Charlie Conlon.

Kevin

stevelomako

President Jefferson Davis library, Beauvoir
Silver Member
Wasnt that "Rosie?" I thought his name was Rosenbloom, or Rosenberg. Airplane Ben I didnt know.

Beard

Ahhh I seee! You have him confused with Bill "Airplane Bill" aka "Rosie" Rosenbaum.

Airplane Bill was found by Gangster Mike aka "Superfly" one night when the racetrack was dead because of a snowstorm. He got him to go to a poolroom and it was never the same after that.

Airplane Ben Braskey was Bill Braskeys older tougher brother who was Chuck Norris' tougher tougher brother.

The stories that some people come up with are a joke Freddie. We have people here in Detroit that come up with stuff like how they were there everyday and hung out with champions and we never ever saw them in there. If they were, they came with someone and stayed out of sight.

Cornbread played Jimmy Mataya one time when Floyd was hitting em better than anyone.

Jimmy asked Red to play STRAIGHT POOL!!! LOL

Red said he wasn't playing no shitty game to 250 or 500 points where you couldn't win enough for a cup of coffee.

He told Mataya he'd play races to 25 for a thousand. Jimmy went for it and Cornbread absolutly tortured him and I mean tortured him. He must have beat him 10-15 games. It was brutal.

Can you picture Red shootin just to run 2 racks, LOL.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Clarify

Ahhh I seee! You have him confused with Bill "Airplane Bill" aka "Rosie" Rosenbaum.

Airplane Bill was found by Gangster Mike aka "Superfly" one night when the racetrack was dead because of a snowstorm. He got him to go to a poolroom and it was never the same after that.

Airplane Ben Braskey was Bill Braskeys older tougher brother who was Chuck Norris' tougher tougher brother.

The stories that some people come up with are a joke Freddie. We have people here in Detroit that come up with stuff like how they were there everyday and hung out with champions and we never ever saw them in there. If they were, they came with someone and stayed out of sight.

Cornbread played Jimmy Mataya one time when Floyd was hitting em better than anyone.

Jimmy asked Red to play STRAIGHT POOL!!! LOL

Red said he wasn't playing no shitty game to 250 or 500 points where you couldn't win enough for a cup of coffee.

He told Mataya he'd play races to 25 for a thousand. Jimmy went for it and Cornbread absolutly tortured him and I mean tortured him. He must have beat him 10-15 games. It was brutal.

Can you picture Red shootin just to run 2 racks, LOL.

Steve, you are saying that Airplane Bill was in reality, Rosie Rosenbaum, right?
I do not know of anybody else at the Rack that contributed 50 million to the pool players retirement fund.

Beard
Good story about the Rooster (Cornbread). Makes sense to me.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Rocky, I sent you a PM

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Table time at the rack

Contrary to some reports on this forum the charges at the RACK
were reasonable.When you made a score the charge was 5%.
You could practise for hours when it was slow - the charge was
1$ for the 'lights' - small money games paid 5$ per hour

ps
in a former post i think i got confused about some names - Airplane,Ben and Rosie.My knowlege of the Rack is pre-71 and post-77.
[A horse owner named Ben Calvin gambled at the Miscue and the early Rack .He bought a new cue and after a short time he said he was going to get a big 52 painted on his case 'cause it cost him 52,000]

stevelomako

President Jefferson Davis library, Beauvoir
Silver Member
ps
in a former post i think i got confused about some names - Airplane,Ben and Rosie.My knowlege of the Rack is pre-71 and post-77.
[A horse owner named Ben Calvin gambled at the Miscue and the early Rack .He bought a new cue and after a short time he said he was going to get a big 52 painted on his case 'cause it cost him 52,000]

You know the main spot everybody played at before The Rack was at "The Hole" on Woodward right?

Gil had "Cushion and Cue" and when Ray Abrams bought it Gil then opened Capital Billiards.

Do you happen to know who Mike Thomas or Mike Selleck were?

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
You know the main spot everybody played at before The Rack was at "The Hole" on Woodward right?

Gil had "Cushion and Cue" and when Ray Abrams bought it Gil then opened Capital Billiards.

The way I heard it (and you'd be in a way better position to know) Gil got sick of the heat that Cornbread's MAMMOTH gambling brought on his public establishment. so he sold the Cushion and Cue (possibly after a raid where Cornbread had 10s of thousands on the light) and opened The Capital as a private club, pretty much to accommodate Cornbread and the whales he brought in (and down).

Kevin

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Missed the Hole..not the 1rst time

I didn't get in action in Detroit till '67 - Red told me about the Hole.
The place i would've like to have seen is the Detroit Rec,i heard it was
a palace.Never heard of either Mikes.Knew Mike Sardeli and Mike 'Super
Fly'.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Just a nice saturday afternoon *bump* to see if I can sweat anymore Rack stories... C'mon Steve, Beard & others.... hope to hear more stories soon

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Horseface Harry

(Here is an old post someone made and my reply to it.)

Cornbread used to call him Horseface. His name is Harry Aporff. Mrs. Red called him peckerhead. He played pretty good. Just good enough to lose to California John McCue when they matched up.

I remember hearing from Red about a big score that they made at the Rack. Harry played someone one pocket. Washington Tony. The guy kept asking Harry to jack the bet and he wouldn't. The sideline accomodated the guy and won 50,000 dollars.

After it was over, Harry had won two or three thousand dollars and went around the room looking for tips. Most everyone told him to go f*ck himself.

Red used to give Harry 10-8. Red never payed any attention to how many balls he had spotted and just kept putting them up when Harry told him that he still owed some. He sometimes gave Harry 12 or 13 to 8 with as many balls as he put up.

He liked to call himself Harry the Horse, but we always called him Horseface.

(This was my reply)
I was in The Rack for that match. Horseface played a skinny black player named Washington Tony. From Washington, DC, naturally. They started out playing even Onepocket for $50 a game. I aint exactly sure if Horseface ever raised it or not but I know his bet never went over $100. (They may have started for $100) Tony had came into the poolroom with a shaving kit full of 100s and gave it to Gil Elias the counterman to hold. Harry won every game in a row and the sideline really bet it up with Tony. In the end Harry had won either 11,12, or 13 in a row and Tony had emptied the shaving kit and was stuck $50,000. I'll never forget the sight of Tony asking Gil for the empty shaving kit and then bopping out the door with it. Nobody gave Harry anything. I didn't bet on the match. I was angry because the day before, Tony played me 2 games, lucked out and won the 1st game, and when I won the 2nd game, he quit me. I thought it should have been my score.

Beard

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Spring of '78

Harley from Jacksonville and' Frisco'Jack Cooney made the Rack a stop on their road trip. Harley announced his presence by betting $500 as soon as he got in the door.He looked at a guy racking and said "I'll take the tall guy".
Harley then matched up with Cornbread.He got the 8 playing 10 ball.
Harley lost almost every game for an hour.Red then broke dry and left a Cosmo.Harley looked at Jack and said"If i don't get out here it's time to
piss on the fire and call the dogs."
Well,he didn't get out and broke down his cue,saying"I BELIEVE I'M GOING
TO GIVE THIS TOWN SOME AIR!"He left for Jacksonville.
Frisco Jack hung around and won a bundle in the next week.
SURPRISE!

nichollss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harley from Jacksonville and' Frisco'Jack Cooney made the Rack a stop on their road trip. Harley announced his presence by betting $500 as soon as he got in the door.He looked at a guy racking and said "I'll take the tall guy".
Harley then matched up with Cornbread.He got the 8 playing 10 ball.
Harley lost almost every game for an hour.Red then broke dry and left a Cosmo.Harley looked at Jack and said"If i don't get out here it's time to
piss on the fire and call the dogs."
Well,he didn't get out and broke down his cue,saying"I BELIEVE I'M GOING
TO GIVE THIS TOWN SOME AIR!"He left for Jacksonville.
Frisco Jack hung around and won a bundle in the next week.
SURPRISE!

Did John Ross from Jacksonville ever visit the rack? If so, give some stories please.