The Rack in Detroit

driz86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm eating a bowl of popcorn right now reading this thread from page one. I hear things here and there being from Lansing (capital) but never this in-depth. wow

Aprazur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack & Cue

My recollections on what I believe was called the Rack & Cue?

I was born in 1941 and lived my whole life on the west side until moving to FL in 2001.

In the early 60's I had a friend (Mike Teen) His dad (George) was a loan shark/bookie that drove a truck at a Chrysler plant. At the early age of 21, from poker and track winnings, Mike bought a bar (Chuck & Lucy's) on Ciccote st in the Livernois/I-94 hood. He was a heavy gambler and ran a blind pig upstairs from the bar. He partnered with a man called "Harry The Horse" and ran a monthly "full comped" high stakes junket monthly to Vegas. I wonder if this is the same Harry the Horse your referring to? Mike ended up having to sell the bar due to money he lost on one of the Vegas junkets.

At the time I had a friend (Chuck Henley) who claimed his uncle was Cornbread Red. He took me to the Youngstown Pool Room on Vernor Ave across from Clark Park to watch Red shoot. I could be wrong, but I think Chuck said Red owned the pool room? There was a one armed man in a wheel chair that shot real good stick. He cradled the cue in the elbow of the stump left on his left arm.

Years later (Early 70's), another gambling friend (Tom Kollhurst) took me to the Rack & Cue to shoot some pool. I watched Freddie Salem play for 1K a game. That was my only trip to the Rack. Tom said he went to the Rack to play craps on a pool table every Sunday night. He said there were Judge's. Southfield city councilmen and many other dignitary's playing big money there, He said the cops were never a problem. The craps games were "Untouchable" to the cops.

Well, one night some black dudes got in and held everybody up. Tom always kept a few hundred in his wallet and a few thousand in his shoe. He said he swallowed his 3 caret diamond ring and passed it days later. The cops were never called, nothing in the news papers.

They found the crooks in the trunk of a car at the Metro airport about a month later. That was in the news papers.

As I remember,

Jerry

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, one night some black dudes got in and held everybody up. Tom always kept a few hundred in his wallet and a few thousand in his shoe. He said he swallowed his 3 caret diamond ring and passed it days later. The cops were never called, nothing in the news papers.

They found the crooks in the trunk of a car at the Metro airport about a month later. That was in the news papers.

Good place for them, freakin theives...

Ken

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How to treat a thief

Good place for them, freakin theives...

Ken

Not all thieves got treated that way.A guy i always liked to talk to 'though we never gambled was Michael the 'Super Fly'.He made a bar score and was heading to his car when he was struck with a stick.He went down for the count and the guy reached into his right hand pocket
and grabbed the $1,200 he had just won.Fly said "I got lucky 'cause i had
$30,000 in the other pocket" A week later he saw the mugger in a restaurant.As he walked up to the table the guy prepared to flee.
Michael threw a $100 bill on the table and said"GET YOU A GUN MAN 'CAUSE YOU GONNA KILL SOMEBODY WITH THAT 2X4".
Now how you gonna read this guy at a poker game when he shoves his
chips at you?

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
Calhoun has to be well into his 70's.

Bill Kelleher {aka} Calhoun...I saw him a few yrs back down here in Fla. Was hanging around with Big Bob Ogburn. I know Calhoun wasnt doing well healthwise then, I wanna say it was 2000-2003. Man, I caught his game in the mid-80's and it was real solid. Another southern throwback worth a mention too is Hippie Dave...great old school bus!!

Voo~~loves this thread, not hijackin' it...just addin' to the madness

bumbay3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(Here is an old post someone made and my reply to it.)

Cornbread used to call him Horseface. His name is Harry Aporff. Mrs. Red called him peckerhead. He played pretty good. Just good enough to lose to California John McCue when they matched up.

I remember hearing from Red about a big score that they made at the Rack. Harry played someone one pocket. Washington Tony. The guy kept asking Harry to jack the bet and he wouldn't. The sideline accomodated the guy and won 50,000 dollars.

After it was over, Harry had won two or three thousand dollars and went around the room looking for tips. Most everyone told him to go f*ck himself.

Red used to give Harry 10-8. Red never payed any attention to how many balls he had spotted and just kept putting them up when Harry told him that he still owed some. He sometimes gave Harry 12 or 13 to 8 with as many balls as he put up.

He liked to call himself Harry the Horse, but we always called him Horseface.

(This was my reply)
I was in The Rack for that match. Horseface played a skinny black player named Washington Tony. From Washington, DC, naturally. They started out playing even Onepocket for $50 a game. I aint exactly sure if Horseface ever raised it or not but I know his bet never went over $100. (They may have started for $100) Tony had came into the poolroom with a shaving kit full of 100s and gave it to Gil Elias the counterman to hold. Harry won every game in a row and the sideline really bet it up with Tony. In the end Harry had won either 11,12, or 13 in a row and Tony had emptied the shaving kit and was stuck $50,000. I'll never forget the sight of Tony asking Gil for the empty shaving kit and then bopping out the door with it. Nobody gave Harry anything. I didn't bet on the match. I was angry because the day before, Tony played me 2 games, lucked out and won the 1st game, and when I won the 2nd game, he quit me. I thought it should have been my score.

Beard

Hey "The Beard" or anybody else in the know,

You ever heard of Junior Weldon Rodgers or Bakersfield Bobby? I was talking to Judd Fuller today about a stick he is working on for me and this thread came up. Judd mentioned the above 2 as great players.

I called to discuss my cue just happened to mentioned this thread and its subject matter and the stories just started rolling. We were on the phone for 45 minutes laughing and talking.

Judd really got a kick out of it.

PS

Judd makes a great cue.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
Hippie dave

If we're talking about the same "Hippie Dave"(how many can there be right?).... I talk to him almost every day. kinda down on his luck but still plays GOOOOOOOOOD! he still has the bus (he calls it his RV) it's in storage and he's driving (and pretty much living) in his van. doing the flee market thing. selling movies, music, and other "collectables" good guy, great player!

Bill Kelleher {aka} Calhoun...I saw him a few yrs back down here in Fla. Was hanging around with Big Bob Ogburn. I know Calhoun wasnt doing well healthwise then, I wanna say it was 2000-2003. Man, I caught his game in the mid-80's and it was real solid. Another southern throwback worth a mention too is Hippie Dave...great old school bus!!

Voo~~loves this thread, not hijackin' it...just addin' to the madness

Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
If we're talking about the same "Hippie Dave"(how many can there be right?).... I talk to him almost every day. kinda down on his luck but still plays GOOOOOOOOOD! he still has the bus (he calls it his RV) it's in storage and he's driving (and pretty much living) in his van. doing the flee market thing. selling movies, music, and other "collectables" good guy, great player!

Thats him...glad to see he is still vertical and breathin'!!

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
I spoke with Dave this morning and told him that someone mentioned him in this thread and was glad he was still "kickin" I told him that it was a guy from FL and of course he wanted to know if you were willing to stake him... LOL I think he's going to head back out that way pretty soon (he's in TX now) so maybe I can give him your address and you guys can "hang out" :D He still plays great and is pretty much"instant action" as soon as he walks in a pool room.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
The Left Hand Duke was Cecil the Serpent Tugwell. He was a pretty good player. He originally played pool right handed, got injured and switched to the other side and played just as good. He was not a pleasant loser.

Beard
True on all counts. My old road partner, Gary Spaeth, played Cecil at the Legends of One Pocket tourney back in '92. Cecil was by most folks opinion the favorite. Cecil showed up late for his match, which he was about to forfeit when he walked in. Gary felt like it was sort of a "move" that Cecil had used on him and was a little pissed. Gary got a gear using all of his banking prowess and gave Cecil a real Spanking. Cecil thought it was a fluke, got a stake horse, and came right to Cincinnati to play Gary after the tournament. Well he jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Gary was VERY hard to beat on his home court. I don't remember if Cecil won any games or not, if so, it wasn't many. His stake horse felt like $1800 was enough of a clue, who had the best of the match up!

Bugs didn't like it when he tried to play Gary at home either. He tried twice, once banks, once one-pocket and didn't like it either time! But Bugs was a pretty good loser for someone who had such little practice at it!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bugs didn't like it when he tried to play Gary at home either. He tried twice, once banks, once one-pocket and didn't like it either time! But Bugs was a pretty good loser for someone who had such little practice at it!

Nobody from Chicago ever loses. Just ask anyone from Chicago...:rolleyes:...

If they did lose, they did it on purpose...Just ask anyone from Chicago...:rolleyes:

Ken

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Real people, real players

Hey "The Beard" or anybody else in the know,

You ever heard of Junior Weldon Rodgers or Bakersfield Bobby? I was talking to Judd Fuller today about a stick he is working on for me and this thread came up. Judd mentioned the above 2 as great players.

I called to discuss my cue just happened to mentioned this thread and its subject matter and the stories just started rolling. We were on the phone for 45 minutes laughing and talking.

Judd really got a kick out of it.

PS

Judd makes a great cue.

Grady Mathews started whole thread on here somewhere about Junior Weldon. Bob I knew of. but we never did anything with each other.

Beard

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
One Pocket?

True on all counts. My old road partner, Gary Spaeth, played Cecil at the Legends of One Pocket tourney back in '92. Cecil was by most folks opinion the favorite. Cecil showed up late for his match, which he was about to forfeit when he walked in. Gary felt like it was sort of a "move" that Cecil had used on him and was a little pissed. Gary got a gear using all of his banking prowess and gave Cecil a real Spanking. Cecil thought it was a fluke, got a stake horse, and came right to Cincinnati to play Gary after the tournament. Well he jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Gary was VERY hard to beat on his home court. I don't remember if Cecil won any games or not, if so, it wasn't many. His stake horse felt like $1800 was enough of a clue, who had the best of the match up!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm, did they play even OnePocket? I cant imagine Gary playing Bugs even in the OnePocket. Banks even at home, yes. You know I loved Gary too, but did they play even?

Beard

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a little story

many have probably heard this one; years ago , cornbread red was in good action and got $55,000 out of a player by early evening. all gone by the time the place closed that night. another time, red had won twenty or thirty grand and a fine young lady said to him " i am going home with you tonight!" i do not know the end of that story. and if i did i wouldn't tell it to the world at any rate.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I'd bump this thread because it's one of the best. Hearing stories about The Rack is like listening to your parents talk about Woodstock - except stories about The Rack are much better!

I hope Jay H, The Beard and some others will give us more Rack stories. I remember when this thread was going strong I would lay in bed hitting refresh in my browser waiting to read what the next guy would say.

C'mon guys--- those who lived it... let's hear more stories about this spot-

Dave

Yes I concur. This is like reading about some crazy cool pool hall in the wild wild west with indians still around!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
First time I was ever in the rack was in '77. I had sold my pool room in Bakersfield and was on the road in my new Caddy. I got directions to the Rack and pulled up and parked. Went to the door with my girlfriend and have to knock to get in. It's a private club! A guy opens a peephole and looks at me, "Who are you?" he says. I'm Jay Helfert I tell him, a pool player from California. "Who knows you?" he asks me. Hell, I don't know. "Who's in there?" I ask him.

He turns around and shouts out, "Anyone know some guy named Jay Helfert?" He asks again and then I hear Cornbreads voice, "He's okay, let him in!" The guy finally lets me in. Not just anybody could get into the Rack. They had to be very careful with so much money floating around. When I get inside I am surprised to see so few pool tables. It's small, only a handful of tables. I say hi to Red who is playing someone and I see Jimmy Reid and Mataya chatting in the back.

I sit down and just try to take it all in. I'm in the legendary Rack and I have a pocket full of money (I think). I'm wondering if there is anyone I can play in here. My buddy Dave Piona had just come home with a new Caddy and a $40,000 score. Even Cecil made some serious money here. He got in a beef though (I heard he withheld some of the money from his backers) and they broke his wrist, never to play right handed again.

Jimmy makes a game, giving up the seven ball to someone I didn't know. Jimmy is in dead punch back then and I know the seven ball means next to nothing. People are making side bets on the game, so I pipe up, "I'll take Jimmy for a hundred a game." A guy looks at me and says, "You can't bet a hundred a game in here. The minimum bet is 500 a game." Oops, that $5,000 in my pocket didn't seem like so much money now.

Jimmy was nice enough to give me a $200 piece of his action. He was playing 9-Ball for a thousand a game! He won ten thousand in short order and the guy quit. Afterward he told me he had won over 100K that week! Shortly after, I got back in my car and headed out. I knew the Rack was a little too rich for my blood.

Last edited:

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
Absolutly amazing!

Just spent the last hour at work reading this thread from start to finish, only to wish I could have seen something like this. From the stories I have read here I don't think there will ever be another Rack.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
uh, *bump*

Did the rack have a snooker table? I recall Hopkins talking about playing a guy 1p on the snooker table in Detroit (maybe the rack?). My memory is crap but I think Hop ran 10-and-out twice on the snooker table for some big money. I need to call and get the story straight-- but I wanna say it was jew paul but I don't know really. If someone knows - let me know.

Beard - I hope I can ask this question the right way.... I know you used to play everyone you could banks... how did you rank at the rack? How many people above/below you?

Dave

Last edited: