The "Skinny"

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
If Efren was the best, and Scott just beat him, but Alex beat Scott, does that mean Alex is currently the best one pocket player?

Or Lou Figueroa?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
You can dice it, slice it, and chopp it, but at the end it will still come out as what it is.:wink: Reyes was and should be regarded as the best one pocket player that has ever played the game, period. Not only does his practically unblemished record insinuate that, his record against all the champions that he has played in the gambling arena also implies the same
.plus he spotted all of them, he just didn't beat them playing even he spotted all of them. For us to judge the greatness of Reyes off of this performance is simply plain stupid, short sighted, and frankly DISRESPECTFUL. (Pardon my spelling errors,thank you)

Lets move to the situation and look at it for what it actually is. To compete at the game of onepocket at the highest level requires top skills, strong nerves, and stamina which Reyes falls short in all those areas, remember i'm speaking about competing at the highest level. Imo playing onepocket at the highest level is the toughest test for a player in comparrison to playing any other game played on a pool table. There is more stress on a player playing onepocket at this level because you must come with borderline tough shots to win games, stay in games, and steal games, and i'm speaking on a regular basis. If you watch onepocket closely played at the highest level you will see that the players are routinely shooting shots that carry immense pressure, shots that if they're missed could easily cost you the game, a game that you have possibly invested sometimes 20 to 30 minutes in mentally and physically battling to get the win. Think about it. Playing 9ball or 10ball games last maybe two or three minutes, it's easy to repair an error playing those games, not true playing onepocket.

Reyes is at least 61 years old, probably 62. I say this because his good friend and traveling partner Rolondo Vicente mentioned his age (62) in the elevator yesterday as we were going back to our rooms. My point is that a man 62 years of age is trying to compete against one of the best in the world playing a game that requires top skills, strong nerves, and stamina, and play at a level that very few can, even in their prime. There's a huge difference when playing a race to 3 or 4 or 5, as opposed to 30, especially if you're 62 years of age..think about it.

Lets not judge Reyes off of this performance, instead lets applaud his courage and celebrate that he was the greatest ever and still battling at the age of 62.

Bill Incardona

I agree but also, Scott played great.

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Billy - well put

By saying Efren is the best to play the game, should not take away from Scott Frost and his performance in this match up. Scott played well and the outcome proves that he is indeed on the short list of top players in one-pocket today.

As far as Efren goes, there is not much more proving that needs to be done on his part. He lost this match but I doubt that will taint his legacy as one of the best to play the game. He changed the game with his ball movement, billiard knowledge and overall creativity.

Instead of the negativity, we should all be grateful that we are still able to witness the living legend play the game.

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
travels

Anybody that knows Efren knows this. He probably travels more than any other player. Country to country. When in the states,he's always in tournaments or in action.Constantly.He is in demand everywhere. He feels obligated to be at these places.To do all that at his age is very demanding. I admire him for that. I agree- GOAT.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
By saying Efren is the best to play the game, should not take away from Scott Frost and his performance in this match up. Scott played well and the outcome proves that he is indeed on the short list of top players in one-pocket today.

As far as Efren goes, there is not much more proving that needs to be done on his part. He lost this match but I doubt that will taint his legacy as one of the best to play the game. He changed the game with his ball movement, billiard knowledge and overall creativity.

Instead of the negativity, we should all be grateful that we are still able to witness the living legend play the game.

great post .... :smile:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel privileged to have been able to watch Efren play so many times against so many different styles of players.
His imagination and mastery of difficult shots is truly amazing and unique.
You almost have to throw the word "Flyer" out the window , when it is him shooting , Because he almost always does what he intended, and gets better results, than anyone else could have imagined.
I wish him all the best in his return home, I hope he knows how much we , the American pool players, appreciate him.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And please refrain from all the ellipses. It's goofy to use so many ellipses in normal colloquy. An ellipsis should be used to indicate missing text in a quote or a trailing-off of the spoken word.

Sorry (Jam)...You (are) going (way) to (fast) for (me)..""I don't even know what "elipse" or "colloquy" mean"" ;)

PS..Keith and I speak the same language..Whyancha lemme talk to him? :thumbup:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like any other sport, you get old, skills diminish to some degree. I know at 62 I don't play like I did when I was 50 that is for sure. At Efren's age, shorter races would be better in my view as I would bet he doesn't have the stamina he did in years past.

I remember in Vegas one year he overslept and was late to a match for 9 ball. By the time he arrived, they had given his opponent 4 games on the wire (one game every 5 minutes). When he entered the room, the house came down. Folks were on their feet cheering and screaming. There will never be another Efren. He is one of a kind.

In my view he is the best, and by far the most creative one pocket player to play the game. He is the Ronnie O'Sullivan of the pool world, and that is saying something. When he arrives, people get excited because they know they very well might see something very special and exciting.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fair enough Billy!..But you must admit, I know a thing or two about getting old!....It sucks! :(
..I guess I think of Efren, as still a young pup!

(BTW, you misspelled 'chop'..only one 'p')..:D :D :D

It may suck, but my guess is it beats NOT getting older. :)