The story behind the Jackot cues

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You argue like a 14 year old girl.

I have made cues. Still make the odd one here and there. And I can tell you that Schmelke builds one of the worst production cues out there. Very poor QC. Corners cut. Poor finish work. Nothing is built on centre. A $500 plain jane Mezz is built better than any Deano Sckmelke. From tip to bumper.

Feel free to toss whatever names out you want. But please, make sure that they hear you think it’s “simple work”. Any dude with 1 hour of woodworking skill can cut something in half, drill and tap both sides; and add a joint pin. That isn’t how a “good” cue guy would do it.

Are you saying the $500 guy can't do the same quality as the $750 guy?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Are you saying the $500 guy can't do the same quality as the $750 guy?

I offered a job to Bob Dzuricky. I wanted a joint pin changed on a Segen cue. It’s a broader diameter than a standard joint. He refused to take the project on, due to the amount of work it would take him. Would you consider Bob to be a fairly good cue maker and repair guy?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both cues take the exact amount of time to do a proper joint install.

That's my point, thanks.

All of the KNOWN makers were doing the EXACT same conversion.

All of them would have done quality work, yet they all charged different prices for the SAME task.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
That's my point, thanks.

All of the KNOWN makers were doing the EXACT same conversion.

All of them would have done quality work, yet they all charged different prices for the SAME task.

It’s not the same task. It’s the same end result. The way I install a joint may be vastly different than the other guys. We all do things our own way after a few years.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people need to learn to read and comprehend. When I said there were no such things as a $1500 cue, I meant in "parts". You are taking the statement out of context. Read the rest of the post.

Parts usually cost the same for any buyer, with exceptions.

The Name of the Maker is what drives the price of the cue...not the parts used to make it.

That isn't to say I don't have Name cues.

It’s the ability of the named cue maker more than the name as far as I can tell. Kind of like bottle of Cab I had Saturday night. I imagine when you add up all the components that went into that wine it may add up to a few pennies? Maybe a couple of bucks with the bottle and cork? So why does it cost as much as the nicest Shmelke? Because it’s worth it. To me but not everyone. But it’s definitely worth more than the sum of the parts.

On another note, I totally agree my reading comprehension sucks. Probably drink too much.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, thank you. I was not happy with people insulting Jim (Hawaiian Eye) - he doesn't deserve it. Dean does deserves it and brought all this on himself. He inflamed the fire by explaining in full his misdeed.

I'd still be interested in knowing if he coughed up full MSRP for his j-pots.

If not, it would explain why it doesnt offend him to pay $500 for a $165 cue.

Scrunge19

Registered
18 pages deep and this thread has completely gone off the rails.

This isn't an argument of how one cue maker may charge $100 for a scope of work and someone with a higher profile may charge $300. That is a known thing that happens in the world. Same as if I go down to the grocery store and compare prices between "Honey Nut Cheerios" and "Honey Nut O's" They're more or less the same thing but only one of them has General Mills written on it so it will cost more.

The intended point of this thread was that Dean advertised that the Jackpot cues were being made by someone, sold them, and then revealed that he had LIED about the details he originally posted. This bait and switch sales tactic is the same as if I said I'll sell you a box of Cheerios for $5/box but really sold you a $1 box of Honey Nut O's. Regardless of whether that cereal was the best thing you've ever eaten, it doesn't make me less of a scumbag for selling you on one thing but delivering something else.

That's it, that's the argument. Regardless of how you feel about Dean, you should be able to admit that what he did is wrong and worth the condemnation he is receiving. If you can't, well I have a few boxes of Cheerios to sell you...

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I offered a job to Bob Dzuricky. I wanted a joint pin changed on a Segen cue. It’s a broader diameter than a standard joint. He refused to take the project on, due to the amount of work it would take him. Would you consider Bob to be a fairly good cue maker and repair guy?

I've met a guy who can carve a perfect replica of Mount Rusmore on a grain of rice by hand and he makes less than a guy working part-time at McDonalds. Working for less money doesn't mean you aren't skilled.

Bob didn't do it because he couldn't do it, he just figured doing it was out of your price range that you were willing to pay.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a side-bar thing here. I bought a Schmelke sneaky with a few upgrades(collars, ferrule, buttcap) a couple yrs ago. I was fully on the Schmelke train and even recommended them to others. Well, no more. Both shafts have warped. Not a lot but there is a slight hop on each when rolled on a flat surface. They said i've had it too long and basically tough luck. It still plays fine but i'd never buy anything from them again. BTW, both shafts were kept in a good case and stored upright.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I've met a guy who can carve a perfect replica of Mount Rusmore on a grain of rice by hand and he makes less than a guy working part-time at McDonalds. Working for less money doesn't mean you aren't skilled.

Bob didn't do it because he couldn't do it, he just figured doing it was out of your price range that you were willing to pay.

Price was never discussed. Bob just didn’t want to do the job. Didn’t mean he wasn’t capable of it. Meant that he didn’t want to do it. I’m glad you own the crystal ball, but Bob and I actually discussed the cue. And he explained why he didn’t want to do it. Do you always try to make up shit that makes you sound smarter?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
18 pages deep and this thread has completely gone off the rails.

This isn't an argument of how one cue maker may charge $100 for a scope of work and someone with a higher profile may charge $300. That is a known thing that happens in the world. Same as if I go down to the grocery store and compare prices between "Honey Nut Cheerios" and "Honey Nut O's" They're more or less the same thing but only one of them has General Mills written on it so it will cost more.

The intended point of this thread was that Dean advertised that the Jackpot cues were being made by someone, sold them, and then revealed that he had LIED about the details he originally posted. This bait and switch sales tactic is the same as if I said I'll sell you a box of Cheerios for $5/box but really sold you a $1 box of Honey Nut O's. Regardless of whether that cereal was the best thing you've ever eaten, it doesn't make me less of a scumbag for selling you on one thing but delivering something else.

That's it, that's the argument. Regardless of how you feel about Dean, you should be able to admit that what he did is wrong and worth the condemnation he is receiving. If you can't, well I have a few boxes of Cheerios to sell you...

Rep to you, sir.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF?! Out of context---> you!

Your $1500 post was in response to my:
I bet you'd be singing a different song if you found out your jerry r or schon was actually not.

Or would you have been ok with paying 1500 for a 500 $ cue coz sellers a good guy?

Your response was as slick as dean's creamy women. who in thfhuk was talking about parts?

Some people need to learn to read and comprehend. When I said there were no such things as a $1500 cue, I meant in "parts". You are taking the statement out of context. Read the rest of the post.

Parts usually cost the same for any buyer, with exceptions.

The Name of the Maker is what drives the price of the cue...not the parts used to make it.

That isn't to say I don't have Name cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You argue like a 14 year old girl.

I have made cues. Still make the odd one here and there. And I can tell you that Schmelke builds one of the worst production cues out there. Very poor QC. Corners cut. Poor finish work. Nothing is built on centre. A $500 plain jane Mezz is built better than any Deano Sckmelke. From tip to bumper.

Feel free to toss whatever names out you want. But please, make sure that they hear you think it’s “simple work”. Any dude with 1 hour of woodworking skill can cut something in half, drill and tap both sides; and add a joint pin. That isn’t how a “good” cue guy would do it.
Ditto on the $500 Mezz. LIGHT-YEARS nicer than any cue Schmelke has ever made or will make. This is what $560 will get you from Mezz: https://www.mezzusa.com/collections/ec9-series/products/ec9-cmn-billiard-cue

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue prices are artificially suppressed by hobbyists in their backyard. Typical shop rates for people with far less skills or equipment run $100-$150 an hour. There isn't a custom cue made that doesn't have fifteen or twenty hours in it. Hurricanes put the final nail in the coffin of my cue shop but the truth is I wasn't too interested anyway. My shop was next door to my friend's machine shop. I could walk next door any day I pleased and make a lot more money than I could making cues with no wait for my money and no hassle dealing with the public.

No hours wasted on the phone with tire kickers and people "just calling to check how their cue is coming" when in truth they are just bored and in the mood to chat. Fine for them if they have the time but I think average phone time for every cue built is about two hours. When you are talking on the phone to a cue builder bear in mind that while you are talking the machines aren't running and no progress is made on any cue. A moderately busy shop has a couple dozen more customers too. When you wonder why it is taking so long to get your cue made, besides time between steps, time spent dealing with customers is often an unaccounted for hole in production.

There not only are $1500 cues, there should be damned few that aren't fifteen hundred dollars or more. People are building quality cues for less than five hundred dollars, many are building them for less than a thousand. Those are some of the best deals on the planet!

A cue should sell for time, materials, and a consideration for artistry involved. Do the math for time and materials and then add fifty to one hundred percent for artistic abilities. That is a fair price for a cue. A person that has built a name might be able to add three to ten times time and material to the cost of a cue. Look at what other usable art is going for.

A few people selling equipment for building cues led me down the garden path or I never would have gotten involved with cues. My equipment has been gathering dust for years. If and when I drag it out I will repurpose it for something besides cue building other than one I plan for myself. At the rates good builders work for I might just have someone build that one.

Hu

I guess I’m the exception. I met a Randy at his new shop and we discussed the cue for twenty minutes or so and then I stroked him a check for half. And then I got a call from him that it was done so I drove up again, stroked another check and we were done. But then again if I’m bored I go fishing or to play pool, not start calling people.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s the ability of the named cue maker more than the name as far as I can tell. Kind of like bottle of Cab I had Saturday night. I imagine when you add up all the components that went into that wine it may add up to a few pennies? Maybe a couple of bucks with the bottle and cork? So why does it cost as much as the nicest Shmelke? Because it’s worth it. To me but not everyone. But it’s definitely worth more than the sum of the parts.

On another note, I totally agree my reading comprehension sucks. Probably drink too much.

Maybe some people need to get better jobs or maybe get a job.

My buddy and a few of his pals bought a $3500 bottle of scotch. They had about a shot each...roughly $400 a shot.

One shot and it was gone.

I am still shooting with my cue.

If you can't afford your hobby, find something else to do.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Just a side-bar thing here. I bought a Schmelke sneaky with a few upgrades(collars, ferrule, buttcap) a couple yrs ago. I was fully on the Schmelke train and even recommended them to others. Well, no more. Both shafts have warped. Not a lot but there is a slight hop on each when rolled on a flat surface. They said i've had it too long and basically tough luck. It still plays fine but i'd never buy anything from them again. BTW, both shafts were kept in a good case and stored upright.

They can’t even build to a standard joint diameter. I received two custom Uniloc sneakies. One was .830 at the joint, and 1.18” at the butt. The other was .855” at the joint, and 1.28” at the butt.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Price was never discussed. Bob just didn’t want to do the job. Didn’t mean he wasn’t capable of it. Meant that he didn’t want to do it. I’m glad you own the crystal ball, but Bob and I actually discussed the cue. And he explained why he didn’t want to do it. Do you always try to make up shit that makes you sound smarter?

My guess is he Just didn’t want to do it for you. Sometime you can see a train wreck coming, and no amount of money is worth it.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
My guess is he Just didn’t want to do it for you. Sometime you can see a train wreck coming, and no amount of money is worth it.

Guys, I still have the email if anyone wants the real reason why he didn’t want to do the job. Hint: he doesn’t really NEED the work, as he’s busy and can choose what projects he takes on. Which, in itself explains why Jim found 4 guys with similar skills, and 4 different prices. Chances are the lower priced guys need the work, and the higher priced guys don’t.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe some people need to get better jobs or maybe get a job.

My buddy and a few of his pals bought a $3500 bottle of scotch. They had about a shot each...roughly $400 a shot.

One shot and it was gone.

I am still shooting with my cue.

If you can't afford your hobby, find something else to do.

Can’t argue that. Except I hate scotch. Bourbon too. But I still have my cues and plenty of wine. And plenty of rum. For those rum drinkers out there go get a bottle of Zacapa XO. It’s not too expensive and smooth as anything.

Damn, I’ve been trying to wait until 5:00 to pour the first cocktail but thanks to you I’m going in 15minutes early. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.