Thinking of calling it a day......

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Man, what I could do with a real 3hrs of practice a day.

Now that think of it. If I legitimately practiced that much a week. I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't always on top of my game.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, what I could do with a real 3hrs of practice a day.

Now that think of it. If I legitimately practiced that much a week. I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't always on top of my game.
You've got to practice, but you also have to compete every day under pressure. I believe that if you want to get to your best game serious competition under pressure is definitely a requirement. I know when I played my personal best I was in a match just about every day and my skill level definitely increased.

JayRack

You've got to practice, but you also have to compete every day under pressure. I believe, if you want to get to your best game, that is definitely a requirement. I know when I played my personal best I was in a match just about every day and my skill level definitely increased.
True Matt but I can't get a game every day at my location but I believe in what your saying. That is how it was when I was living in a bigger city back in the day.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True Matt but I can't get a game every day at my location but I believe in what your saying. That is how it was when I was living in a bigger city back in the day.
I understand. But read my other post where I shared my thoughts on how to enjoy this game we love. There are a lot of wonderful aspects to enjoy.

dd1228

Registered
I can relate, but I'm 75 years old! Things used to come so natural and easy, but not any longer. Just had catarac surgery, maybe that will help!!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very philosophical but theoretically your a world class snooker player so you should not have the same insecurities I'm having.
I don't think that is true. Everybody is somebody and we are all more alike that different.

People who have high paying jobs stress about money too.

Or a cycling saying: it never gets easier, it just gets faster.

John R

45 , of and on since 1990.
IMHO you need to play with some strong players but you don’t have to gamble. Ask one of the better players if knows who would be his first choice as an instructor. At age 45 you have many good years ahead of you that can be very rewarding. You’ve played to hard to quit now. You’ll always regret not working through this hard time . Stay strong

JayRack

IMHO you need to play with some strong players but you don’t have to gamble. Ask one of the better players if knows who would be his first choice as an instructor. At age 45 you have many good years ahead of you that can be very rewarding. You’ve played to hard to quit now. You’ll always regret not working through this hard time . Stay strong
Thank you John. Most people down here do not like playing for fun. I think my poor play was because I was only playing once a week. I've been playing two hours a day and have been playing better so I'm encouraged.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I can relate, but I'm 75 years old! Things used to come so natural and easy, but not any longer. Just had catarac surgery, maybe that will help!!!
Good for you. What you have to do is go looking for the 90 year olds - they're an easy hustle.😉

Hey I have a friend that just started the game 2 years ago at 74 - he's an APA 5 already!

JayRack

Good for you. What you have to do is go looking for the 90 year olds - they're an easy hustle.😉

Hey I have a friend that just started the game 2 years ago at 74 - he's an APA 5 already!
That is cool. The neat thing about pool is you can generally play in your 70's unlike the major sports.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Pretty perplexed with my game. I'm not playing up to my abilities. I was playing even and sometimes beating a local road player 3 months ago and now he can give me the wild 8. My game is going backwards. I was thinking of getting an instructor as a last ditch effort or maybe I should just sell all my cues and move on from the game I've become so frustrated with. Any advice?
Sad to hear "getting an instructor" is a last-ditch effort, so I offer you a free lesson. I've not met the player who I'm unable to improve. Send me a PM.

Tennis? You take lessons? Golf? Same thing. Let's go! I'll patch you up.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I appreciate Tate's comment.Gives me hope since I am basically beginning again at age 62.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I appreciate Tate's comment.Gives me hope since I am basically beginning again at age 62.
As long as you can see the balls, you can make progress. Don't put limits on yourself, play, enjoy, learn and you'll be surprised what you can do. A couple of years ago I helped a guy that was in his 70's fix a problem he had with his stroke. He jumped a level almost instantly and kept improving until he died. I've rarely seen anyone as enthusiastic about pool as that guy.

I posted a thread earlier about beginning to play the piano at 40+. When I talked to some people they were a bit negative "don't expect to be a concert pianist", which I obviously don't, but the tone implied I was going to suck. I got some encouragement on here and I'll never regret going through with it. I'm starting play pretty ok now and am steadily improving.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I have not read this thread, but I am eminently qualified to advise on this subject. Please excuse me if I add nothing new.

It is natural to have ups and down, ebbs and flows, in all things. Achievement in any area rarely travels in a straight line. A pitboss, and good friend, once told me that it was impossible to "play yourself out of a losing streak". In other words, as much as I wanted or tried, I could not force my card game to turn around. Even worse, in trying to force change, I was very likely to compound my errors. My friend knew what he was talking about, so I took his advice and saved thousands in the process. I learned to stay away from cards when my game went south and enjoyed the winning streaks as I found them.

So what to do about pool? I have always shot a lot by myself. 14:1, which I pursued many years ago, is by its nature very compatible with solo play. Also, I have always liked to experiment, and "trying stuff" is a thing best done alone. Whenever I find my basic game going sideways, I turn away from the essence of the game, pocketing balls, and instead work on alternate elements such as banking, billiards (shots), cue ball control, ball speed, spin, lagging, bridging, etc. There are many small pool talents which can be improved simply by focusing on them. Mastering a smaller element (such as a muti-rail kick or bank) assists in developing a positive attitude or image which in turn will improve your overall game.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as you can see the balls, you can make progress. Don't put limits on yourself, play, enjoy, learn and you'll be surprised what you can do. A couple of years ago I helped a guy that was in his 70's fix a problem he had with his stroke. He jumped a level almost instantly and kept improving until he died. I've rarely seen anyone as enthusiastic about pool as that guy.

I posted a thread earlier about beginning to play the piano at 40+. When I talked to some people they were a bit negative "don't expect to be a concert pianist", which I obviously don't, but the tone implied I was going to suck. I got some encouragement on here and I'll never regret going through with it. I'm starting play pretty ok now and am steadily improving.
Thanks Much!!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
To me, the impossibility of mastering this game is one of its best attributes. Frustration means something new this way comes.

You'll never get bored. That's worth something to me.

Jeff Livingston

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey whiteoak you've been around here a long time. What happened?

62 is spry these days.
Good Afternoon and Thanks for asking. I began playing around 2002-2003 with my then teenage Son. Life,work interveined and just got started back. Not particularly good but enjoy playing and really enjoy AZB. Still feels great here. Be well and Stay safe,Mike

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the biggest mistake us more experienced players make is fearing change. Other than playing non-stop, the only way we can get better is by doing things differently. This gets more challenging the longer we have played but it has to be done. I think the two steps forward and one step back mindset is best.

I'm the same age as you and I've recently made a major stance change that took a couple of months to engrain. I'm now cueing straighter than I ever have. I wouldn't encourage major changes but incremental change may be necessary.