This is why pool in Iowa sucks

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
You know after a long night of drinking, bi sexual women, and head shots like JFK I feel the need to rant...and then rant some more...but just a little.

So I've been here about two weeks and pool in Iowa sucks for soooo many reasons. First of all it has gotten me totally out of stroke because winning the wrong games made me lay down some. Now I cant get up. Cue the old school commercial...

Pool in Iowa also sucks because people have zero gamble. "Let's play $5 a game" Umm ok save the 5 for toilet paper and dont forget to pull up at $20 loser cuz you cant win. No gamble and being a pool player don't mix...read a memo.

Pool in Iowa also sucks because everyone is a "champion" and every road player is sooo sick and plays soooo good, gimme a break and just bet it when the game is right or close your pie hole. Not sayin go out and get robbed but show a little home town pride. Who brags when non hometown guys come through and clean a joint out? No one...except in Iowa. Think it's cool to not defend your home turf and be easy pickings, it's not. Keep waiting for the Scott Frost return.

Pool in Iowa sucks also because there are no girls...yeah none...nope still none here.

Pool in Iowa sucks also because you can get kicked out of tournaments for running out on players who play your speed..."Either die or go to jail that's a hell of a decision"

Pool in Iowa also sucks because I'm the only one who knows the guy that said "Either quit winner or quit pool"...he's an awesome young man who won't take a free entry to the strip club and 4 lap dances on a free roll....so sick.

Pool in Iowa also sucks because the only dudes I actually like come to the poolhall once a week so I chill with lame dudes who think a J&J is the stone cold dead nuts.

Lastly pool in Iowa sucks because not many people respect the game. The 5 or 6 do don't come around enough to account for the super bangers who dont practice to play better and shoot like Bam Bam on the flinstones waiting for Pebbles to blow rocks out of her corn hole.

Man I said corn hole and Iowa...lordy lordy lordy...dear jesus....Amen...etc, Im out.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if I'm understanding this post correctly, you're saying that pool in Iowa sucks!! Right? I may have mixed your words up a little, but I got a strong feeling of dislike!!

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Fail

Pool in Iowa sucks because some fool from North Carolina had a brain storm that Iowa might be the pool capitol of America. Wrong.

Next time try Florida, New York or better yet the Derby City Classic, your sure to get played there.

Better luck next time.

Kevin

StudntofHmanMvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sir. You say you've been in Iowa for two weeks. I don't think that's enough time to judge an entire state's pool scene. There's several folks on here from Iowa, hopefully they'll chime in and maybe give ya some leads or something. I lived in IA for 12 years, in Marshalltown. But I've been all over, from Keokuk to Sioux City to Decorah to Clarinda and most points in between. So doggin' out my home state after having been there two weeks, with no mention of the city or cities you've been to is a little...unsubstantiated, imo.

You could try posting in the action room section of this here forum, I bet you'd get some offers to match up.

I hope you find some good action up there in The Hawkeye State. And remember, "...the prettiest girls in the world live in Des Moines Iowa." --Jack Kerouac.

Dennis

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sir. You say you've been in Iowa for two weeks. I don't think that's enough time to judge an entire state's pool scene. There's several folks on here from Iowa, hopefully they'll chime in and maybe give ya some leads or something. I lived in IA for 12 years, in Marshalltown. But I've been all over, from Keokuk to Sioux City to Decorah to Clarinda and most points in between. So doggin' out my home state after having been there two weeks, with no mention of the city or cities you've been to is a little...unsubstantiated, imo.

You could try posting in the action room section of this here forum, I bet you'd get some offers to match up.

I hope you find some good action up there in The Hawkeye State. And remember, "...the prettiest girls in the world live in Des Moines Iowa." --Jack Kerouac.

Dennis
the prettiest girls in the world live in cali man

Mike B.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool in Iowa also sucks because we had 60 players in our Sunday night weekly tournament. On average there are 30-40 every week.

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frost, you have only been here a couple of weeks, maybe it will change for you with a little more time....don't be a defeatist. So you get barred from a handicapped tourney for B or lower players, so what?...there are plenty of other weekly tourneys at Big Dogs that are open to ALL players. Speaking for myself, I do respect the game, and I do practice to try to improve. However, I don't get out to play tournies/gamble much because I have 2 kids involved in sports/school activities and right now they take priority over me feeding my pool habit. I hope things improve here for you. I'm sure they will, just give it time. Look forward to seeing you again the next time I'm able to break away and play a tourney.

Last edited:

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides, why is pool in Des Moines being "good" predicated upon how much everyone is willing to gamble? I like to gamble as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to get into a bad match just to be able to gamble. Big Dogs has some great weekly tournies that I would think could somewhat satisfy your pool bug? (you're lucky you weren't moved here 5 years ago before we had Big Dogs!)

Last edited:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey. Don't make me roadtrip and hang out with you. You know we can "create" something. I mean it. Don't make me. Don't ask just because I have some vacation coming up. I'm not gonna do it. Well, if you throw in the free entry and the four lapdances, I might.

cbaumann212

Jackass Extraordinaire
Silver Member
huh?

Go to the Quads city area. I'm sure Josh, Jesse, or Jon will let you bet as much as you like. But that would just be another reason why pool in Iowa suck, cuz you can't win.

StudntofHmanMvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious

Besides, why is pool in Des Moines being "good" predicated upon how much everyone is willing to gamble?... (you're lucky you weren't moved here 5 years ago before we had Big Dogs!)

Did I miss something? How do we know he's in Des Moines? :confused::scratchhead:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Pool in Iowa also sucks because people have zero gamble. "Let's play $5 a game" Umm ok save the 5 for toilet paper and dont forget to pull up at $20 loser cuz you cant win. No gamble and being a pool player don't mix...read a memo.

The reason the general public has a low opinion of pool is because of this type of mindset. You must be a world-beater Mikey. Surely I've seen articles in Billiard Digest or Inside Pool magazines featuring your pool shooting capabilities. What is so wrong about shooting a few games of pool for fun? I don't have any proof, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the people in this country that shoot pool do so for fun without gambling.

I'm a pretty good shot with hi-power benchrest rifles. I won an award one year from our local club for "Rifle Shooter of the Year" (no big deal, just a local sportsmens club). But, I don't go around trying to make a buck from all the other shooters because basically, we all shoot just for fun. I could just see myself (add sarcasm here) running around the firing line trying to hustle some 'ol redneck with a 6mmPPC to a shootin' contest for $20 per target, 5 shots per target. I'd get laughed right off the range property.

What I'm trying to say here is that just because someone is good at something doesn't mean money has to be made from it. People abstain from gambling for an assortment of reasons. Relegious beliefs, not wanting to lose what they worked so hard for, not wanting to take something from somebody that really can't afford to lose it, etc.

You wouldn't like me Mikey. I don't gamble at all. I've never even bought a lottery ticket. I shoot a lot of pool, all for fun. You would probably say that I suck. I don't. I'm a very likable guy that makes friends very easily and has lots of them. I have fun in life. Very much fun. And I do it without taking other peoples money or giving them any of mine.

If you ask me, I'd say that that the people in Iowa are very smart people. Nothing "sucks" about that!!!

Maniac

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know after a long night of drinking, bi sexual women, and head shots like JFK I feel the need to rant...and then rant some more...but just a little.

So I've been here about two weeks and pool in Iowa sucks for soooo many reasons. First of all it has gotten me totally out of stroke because winning the wrong games made me lay down some. Now I cant get up. Cue the old school commercial...

Pool in Iowa also sucks because everyone is a "champion" and every road player is sooo sick and plays soooo good, gimme a break and just bet it when the game is right or close your pie hole. Not sayin go out and get robbed but show a little home town pride. Who brags when non hometown guys come through and clean a joint out? No one...except in Iowa. Think it's cool to not defend your home turf and be easy pickings, it's not. Keep waiting for the Scott Frost return.

Pool in Iowa sucks also because there are no girls...yeah none...nope still none here.

Pool in Iowa sucks also because you can get kicked out of tournaments for running out on players who play your speed..."Either die or go to jail that's a hell of a decision"

Pool in Iowa also sucks because I'm the only one who knows the guy that said "Either quit winner or quit pool"...he's an awesome young man who won't take a free entry to the strip club and 4 lap dances on a free roll....so sick.

Pool in Iowa also sucks because the only dudes I actually like come to the poolhall once a week so I chill with lame dudes who think a J&J is the stone cold dead nuts.

Lastly pool in Iowa sucks because not many people respect the game. The 5 or 6 do don't come around enough to account for the super bangers who dont practice to play better and shoot like Bam Bam on the flinstones waiting for Pebbles to blow rocks out of her corn hole.

Man I said corn hole and Iowa...lordy lordy lordy...dear jesus....Amen...etc, Im out.

I didn't know they had pool in Iowa! ;)