This Just In: Porsche Design Pool Table

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think they are targeting the poolplayer market, I believe they will sell a lot of these tables. There are a lot of people that can afford these. Their name alone will sell.

Possibly true, but I don't think it does anything positive for pool. That's all I was saying.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Porsche Design was founded by the man who designed the 911 Porsche...it designs a wide variety of upscale products. It is NOT part of the Porsche car company.

The founder of Porsche design died recently...:(

I think they may be the same family: Before 1972, Ferdinand Alexander Porsche designed cars, including most famously the 911, which had its premiere in 1963. After 1972, when he left the car company, he designed almost everything else. The company he established, Porsche Design, based in Austria, has brought the sensibility of Porsche to luggage, watches, coffee makers and other items over the years.

Juergen Gessler, the chief executive of Porsche Design, said in a recent interview that the company had resumed the production of early items in honor of the 75th birthday of F.A. Porsche, the son of Ferry and grandson of Ferdinand Porsche. One is a black wristwatch, inspired by car instruments and done in 1972. Another is a pair of sunglasses made famous by Yoko Ono.

Even in these hard times, Porsche Design has been prospering, Mr. Gessler said. It has added stores — it has 105 around the world — and its United States sales, mostly of luggage and leather goods, have gone up by almost a third in the last year, he said.

Source: Porsche Design [Retrieved 29 September 2013]

Porsche Design products taking direct inspiration from cars, said Mr. Gessler, are the Bounce S2 shoes, which have metal springs in their soles. Developed in cooperation with Porsche consulting engineers and Adidas designers, they turned impact into forward energy with a sort of suspension. The Porsche pipe, in the design collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, is based on the cooling vents surrounding engine cylinders.

I wonder how much these babies cost! :grin-square:

Attachments

• purchazeporsche11.jpg
    purchazeporsche11.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 270

Halter

Registered
Negativity Blinds Opportunity!

You only need "one" of these tables in a major tournament finals... surrounded by ESPN cameras with Porsche as the sponsor. If this Designer put in the effort to bring a finished product to market, there is serious interest and love of the game at Porsche. For Porsche, it is not about how many pool tables they will sell. It is about how many cars they sell. Design image pieces, such as this, are meant to create a correlation in the minds of their customers between the sporty table and their sports car.

Pool players should embrace the "bigger" opportunity here instead of complaining about the table details. Automotive companies have a long history as sporting event sponsors.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned something here. Obviously this designer did not discuss the function of a pool table with pool players as evidenced by the lack of diamonds on the table.

Apparently some designers are primarily concerned with their own creativity. I would be more impressed with a design that integrated form and function. Diamond has accomplished this integration.

This leads me to question designs by any famous designer. I would now be concerned with their knowledge and awareness of the stress a table is subjected to. Do they understand the principles needed to arrive at "good" rails, and do they understand the inherent problems with having a level surface for playability.

I think I would be very leery of buying this type of product.

I would think that I design team like "Porsche" would have had a pool playing engineer as one of their consultants. Obviously they did not.

Last edited:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
I learned something here. Obviously this designer did not discuss the function of a pool table with pool players as evidenced by the lack of diamonds on the table.

Apparently some designers are primarily concerned with their own creativity. I would be more impressed with a design that integrated form and function. Diamond has accomplished this integration.

This leads me to question designs by any famous designer. I would now be concerned with their knowledge and awareness of the stress a table is subjected to. Do they understand the principles needed to arrive at "good" rails, and do they understand the inherent problems with having a level surface for playability.

I think I would be very leery of buying this type of product.

100% correct. it just has to LOOK good. regardless of function. or quality.
same is true w/ all the celebrities, who put their NAME on products - that are crap. but it sells, cause it's BRANDING, & Joe Q Public doesn't know the difference.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I think they may be the same family: Before 1972, Ferdinand Alexander Porsche designed cars, including most famously the 911, which had its premiere in 1963. After 1972, when he left the car company, he designed almost everything else. The company he established, Porsche Design, based in Austria, has brought the sensibility of Porsche to luggage, watches, coffee makers and other items over the years.

Juergen Gessler, the chief executive of Porsche Design, said in a recent interview that the company had resumed the production of early items in honor of the 75th birthday of F.A. Porsche, the son of Ferry and grandson of Ferdinand Porsche. One is a black wristwatch, inspired by car instruments and done in 1972. Another is a pair of sunglasses made famous by Yoko Ono.

Even in these hard times, Porsche Design has been prospering, Mr. Gessler said. It has added stores — it has 105 around the world — and its United States sales, mostly of luggage and leather goods, have gone up by almost a third in the last year, he said.

Source: Porsche Design [Retrieved 29 September 2013]

Porsche Design products taking direct inspiration from cars, said Mr. Gessler, are the Bounce S2 shoes, which have metal springs in their soles. Developed in cooperation with Porsche consulting engineers and Adidas designers, they turned impact into forward energy with a sort of suspension. The Porsche pipe, in the design collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, is based on the cooling vents surrounding engine cylinders.

I wonder how much these babies cost! :grin-square:[/QUOTE

Definitely the same family JAM. Ferdinand Alexander, "Butzi" (his childhood nickname) is the grandson and namesake of the man who started the Porsche firm. I was pretty heavily into P-cars for quite some time...joined PCA (Porsche Club of America) in 1967, didn't renew in 2007. The more my 1972 911S became sought after by others, the less I enjoyed it...it's now in the care of a dear friend in Istanbul who has vowed it will never leave Turkish soil...I gave him a half price sale in exchange for that promise. Let's just say I got bored with people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I have one of the old pipes in a drawer somewhere around here...it didn't smoke all that well. I much preferred a hand carved Danish pipe during my smoking years... Cindy won a pair of the Yoko Ono designed sunglasses at an annual Porsche gathering known as a "Porsche Parade", She gave them to a friend after finding them uncomfortable.

Like many other designer label products, Porsche design products may or may not perform as well as similar products in the marketplace. But they do sell to those with money who are into "image".

Let's just say that if Porsche Design came out with a pool cue, I'd be hanging on to my Josey. ;)

Attachments

• scottride04.jpg
    scottride04.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 242

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks nice but those legs would get in the way.

I was thinking the same thing. Bad design. Probably not something Porsche would have designed for anything more than showing that they've got too much staff with time on their hands and very little oversight. LOL

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking the same thing. Bad design. Probably not something Porsche would have designed for anything more than showing that they've got too much staff with time on their hands and very little oversight. LOL

LOL. It may help to read the articles. :grin-square:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Porsche designed and made cars for true enthusiasts before the family lost control of the company. These days, it's not necessarily so...I'm an old curmudgeon who thinks the last truely good enthusiast 911 was made in 1973.

But back to the original topic...the pool table. I'm with those who would prefer playing on a diamond...If my home
had the space for a table, I'd be looking for a beautifully restored old Brunswick Centenial...a bit "diamondized". ;)

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Porsche designed and made cars for true enthusiasts before the family lost control of the company. These days, it's not necessarily so...I'm an old curmudgeon who thinks the last truely good enthusiast 911 was made in 1973.

I feel that way about Volvos. I have owned five Volvos. In the '90s era, they sold Volvo.

My next Volvo after they were sold, you could see the leather used in the seats was of inferior quality compared to the older Volvos. Older Volvos used to come with Pirelli tires and Bose speakers. Not anymore.

Speaking of Pirelli tires, every year, they come out with a calendar feature naked women that cannot be bought. They give it to their best customers as an appreciation gift, but it's a collector's item.

Steve McCurry was the photographer for the 2013 Pirelli calender, but he chose not to use naked women. :grin-square: Here's the Pirelli 2013 calendar ---> HERE

Instead, he went to Rio and took some exquisite photos. For those who are not familiar with Steve McCurry's work, he's the award-winning photojournalist whose famous photo -- "Afghan Girl" -- made headlines around the world.

Attachments

• Sharbat_Gula.jpg
    Sharbat_Gula.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 245

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF Porsche are making pool table, i'd thought it be a time of celebration not critic...
World leading brand = world leading sponsorship -
Calling BCA, SBE and other leading promoters!

Or is it me being dumb :thumbup:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I'm glad you brought it up because I couldn't understand how the legs would interfere, either. :p

I'm right handed. If I was shooting a shot that brought my left hip in contact with the table my left leg, (Or anyones for that matter) will be under the table on top of the leg. If you are big Bob it would be inside of the leg. At the corners the legs would actually trip you as you move around the table. If you google pool table and hit images you won't find one table built with the legs vertically even with the top rails. There is an area under and around the table that is and needs to be completely unobstructed for comfortable play.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I'm right handed. If I was shooting a shot that brought my left hip in contact with the table my left leg, (Or anyones for that matter) will be under the table on top of the leg. If you are big Bob it would be inside of the leg. At the corners the legs would actually trip you as you move around the table. If you google pool table and hit images you won't find one table built with the legs vertically even with the top rails. There is an area under and around the table that is and needs to be completely unobstructed for comfortable play.

exactly.....the legs would be ok if they angled in more on their sides.....this constantly happens when "engineers" design something but have never used the item or have done work around it. They are great at making things work, but when it comes to all around functionality they have issues. I deal with this everyday building things for the oil and gas industry, trying to explain to the engineers that their design is not going to work.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
exactly.....the legs would be ok if they angled in more on their sides.....this constantly happens when "engineers" design something but have never used the item or have done work around it. They are great at making things work, but when it comes to all around functionality they have issues. I deal with this everyday building things for the oil and gas industry, trying to explain to the engineers that their design is not going to work.
The truth is, it is a novelty table. Not a serious attempt to build a quality practical table that is representative of the needs of the sport. It may be more like these tables marketed to a certain type of customer.

http://money.cnn.com/video/pf/2013/05/03/l-car-pool-tables.cnnmoney/index.html

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
You only need "one" of these tables in a major tournament finals... surrounded by ESPN cameras with Porsche as the sponsor. If this Designer put in the effort to bring a finished product to market, there is serious interest and love of the game at Porsche. For Porsche, it is not about how many pool tables they will sell. It is about how many cars they sell. Design image pieces, such as this, are meant to create a correlation in the minds of their customers between the sporty table and their sports car.

Pool players should embrace the "bigger" opportunity here instead of complaining about the table details. Automotive companies have a long history as sporting event sponsors.

Totally agree. I can see it in next year's US Open!

TheMarsMan

Nice Gun!
Silver Member
About six years ago I was talking to builders and they were taking me to some of their finished houses. One house we went into had an 8' table that they had custom made from scratch. It had an enormous amount of wood work and was beautiful to look at, they had a famous woodworking guy make the table. I almost laughed when I rolled some balls on the table, the rails were way to high and caused the balls to be trapped under them and I swear the pockets were at least 6", you could put over 2 1/2 balls in the pocket. I imagine even a banger could feel like a good player on this table as long as he didn't try any banks.

I found out the owner spent 100K on the table and it was his pride and joy, I am very happy with my Diamond table!