This spot shot bullshit has got to stop

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It's a stupid ass format. Take 2 players with the same Fargo rating. A player can actually win in this format with less rack wins and their fargo will go down lololol

The AMATEUR (keyword, AMATEUR) open at the expo is a better format then this. That's 2 sets races to 5 each set, with a 3rd FULL SET if tied.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you said it wasn't a rated event, and I'm not conflating a fargo number into some handicap attribute for this event.

Who can possibly rate an event? by what, who's standard ...a 'RERALLY' of no fargo numbers just isn't very informational?

So, you're saying no 600's or maybe even a 500 is in? God forgive if a 400 ever slipped in this open...

and yes, a NOVICE most of the time, Novus has its moments.
You'd be surprised at some of the fargos playing in this event. A mid 600 player beat Garcia in a set. A low 500 player beat Albin in a set. It's pressure packed!

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
💡💡 Personally, I don't mind the spot shots. 1) It's not a "gimmick" 2) It is a skill based shot 3) I am for "ANYTHING" that attempts to "grow" the game of billiards/pool in a positive way and get away from it's "shady" elements etc. 4) I'm more of a "gambler" than a tournament player per se'...It gets no more "HARD CORE" than spot shots. I have seen many "great men" crumble up under the "spot shots", particularly on large tight pocket tables 🎱🎱🎱

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
You'd be surprised at some of the fargos playing in this event. A mid 600 player beat Garcia in a set. A low 500 player beat Albin in a set. It's pressure packed!

I think Mike Page's data shows that the shootout format produces the same results for lower ranked players as other formats (no advantage to the lower ranked players).

If there was an advantage, you would think the American pros would be lining up to play as they would have a better chance against the higher ranked Europeans who dominate at most tournaments.

soyale

imagine working your whole life to be a great 9 ball player and you finally get your 15 minutes in the sun to play some well known player. believe it or not the balls are rolling in your favor and the other dude isn't playing very well. you get an unlucky scratch on the break and dude catches up to tie despite playing poorly all match. it comes down to a spot shot shootout. you lose and go home.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a stupid ass format. Take 2 players with the same Fargo rating. A player can actually win in this format with less rack wins and their fargo will go down lololol

The AMATEUR (keyword, AMATEUR) open at the expo is a better format then this. That's 2 sets races to 5 each set, with a 3rd FULL SET if tied.
I wouldn't mind seeing the pros play a US amateur format. Where they are playing both 8-ball and 9-ball.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Mike Page's data shows that the shootout format produces the same results for lower ranked players as other formats (no advantage to the lower ranked players).

If there was an advantage, you would think the American pros would be lining up to play as they would have a better chance against the higher ranked Europeans who dominate at most tournaments.
Yep.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
imagine working your whole life to be a great 9 ball player and you finally get your 15 minutes in the sun to play some well known player. believe it or not the balls are rolling in your favor and the other dude isn't playing very well. you get an unlucky scratch on the break and dude catches up to tie despite playing poorly all match. it comes down to a spot shot shootout. you lose and go home.
That called playing pool. It is a fickle mistress. Anything can... and does... happen. That's why I love it so much.

Take that element away, and all the mystery goes away with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll see that when sets are so short. If they were racing to 11-13 the lower FR players are rarely going to win. This is what FR/CSI/Predator are hoping for, semi-pro/amat. players getting a chance to play the big dogs and possibly win.

soyale

That called playing pool. It is a fickle mistress. Anything can... and does... happen. That's why I love it so much.

Take that element away, and all the mystery goes away with it.
i'm not disagreeing with you, however, isn't there plenty of mystery in losing at 9 ball instead of losing at spot shots?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, a LOT of us here are not fans of the tie-break deal. All i can say is contact CSI/Pred/Fargo and let your opinions be known. I've msg'd a couple and am waiting to hear a reply. That being said, i'll take well run, free-streamed pro pool over no pro pool any day. Don't like it don't watch it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the prize money is here? I've seen no mention of it anywhere.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
H
i'm not disagreeing with you, however, isn't there plenty of mystery in losing at 9 ball instead of losing at spot shots?
Here is what Anthony Beeler tells his students.... "Sometimes you can do EVERYTHING right, and still lose"!

That's with spot shots, or not.