Thoughts on pool ,life and 5 inch pockets

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amen, Brother Dean... you tell 'em. Pool Tables with COBBED UP pockets, aren't made to play & have fun on, they are JUNKERs that someone really messed. JMHO

My corner pockets are 4-3/4", but the table plays very good. It banks great too...

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
If you have 5" pockets you have less rail to bank cross corner. Playing one pocket is a different game on a table like that.

True. I scratch much more often practicing at home with 5” pockets, where some nice 4” it would’ve been a good safety or takeout. I feel like I play better on tighter pockets but that could just be a mental thing because the only real 5” experience I have is at home where I’m more relaxed/lazy I guess and when I’m out on a nice solid table I just feel a lot better.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yes real good players like small tight pockets. that is for sure. and another thing that is for sure;;;

recreational players dont like them,
bad gamblers that loose all the time dont like them,
older players dont like them,
the ladies dont like them,

lets see who did i leave out??

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
As for arguing vs discussion, the Socratic method is ‘examination by argument’....
...nothing wrong with it....it IS wrong to lose your temper, though.

‘Course, if you get too good at the Socratic style of debating....
...you may be encouraged to take a double hemlock...:eek:

Heady Stuff!
Thank you

Who knew you could learn so much on a Pool Forum?

Socratic Method
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbV1nzOqgM

Hemlock
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conium_maculatum

Last edited:

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yippee a voice of reason. Most tables I play on are 5" and I never walk away from these tables frazzled, pissed, mad, discouraged or the like because I know tomorrow I'll beat it. I never talk about an opponent because it's the table that beats us. Tight diamond tables are for Pros or people that like to cut themselves. Dream searchers that make 40K a yr., gross. Net well if ya sleep in your car and depend on Churches for meals ok. A single could squeeze out an existence wearing jeans and T shirts. Enjoy life run a rack before ya grey!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

My home table is a Diamond with 4 1/4" corner pockets and it plays tough as nails. The pro players that come through here love to practice on it. You would be amazed to see how good they can play on this table compared to us average bangers. That's where I really see the difference in their ability. Dennis and Shane can run out on my table like water playing Ten Ball.

That said, my experience as a poolroom owner (four and counting :wink:) has been that the bangers will play on any table you have available if they want to be in your business enjoying themselves. Even my tight "player" tables got a lot of play on my busy nights and no one complained. Believe it or not, in my first poolroom in Bakersfield I had two 10' snooker tables and twenty two 9' Gold Crowns. On busy weekend nights when we would get a waiting list of a dozen or more people, they were glad to play with pool balls on the snooker table just to be able to play and not sit around. l:

Gandy made big pocket tables and they played great, they realized that people want to make balls to have fun. Buddy Hall always said that Pool should come down to who plays the best not who shoots the best. Earl, Jason Shaw, Billy Thorpe, Dennis, Shane and 30 others pro's shoot so straight it doesn't matter, but most of thats not the case for 90% of the players on the planet.

Weren't most of the champions from the 70's and 80's playing on big pockets, Kasson tables, Gandy's, Imperial's, Connelley, etc.., and yet everybody says those guys could beat the current day player's, so does the pocket size really matter?

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya got me....

I have a 9' Rebco with drop pockets and Simonis Tournament Blue 860 HR cloth and Aramith Balls and good Diveney cues. My pockets are big and I have no problem missing.

The table is fun to play on and every one likes it. A couple of times a year I try to go to Anchorage for tournaments at the Palace pool hall. They have four nine foot Diamonds and several seven foot Diamonds. They used to have six of the big Diamonds, but went to four as they probably make more money off of league players.

I have a hard time playing on the Diamond tables and rattle lots of balls, a lot more then I ever do on my Rebco table. I keep thinking if I had a nine foot Diamond with the 4.5 inch pro cut pockets and regularly played on it I would be more competitive in the tournaments.

I am probably kidding my self, but maybe not. But, at 6,000 bucks for a Pro Am and 2,200 bucks in shipping plus set up fees it is not practical for my 69 year old butt to buy one. So I gripe and make excuses to myself for missing shots at the tournaments.

But maybe it is not my imagination. Shane is a savvy player and I heard he recently got a nine foot Rasson in his house. Rasson is the official table for many Match Room and Dragon Promotions pool events and other pool production companies,

With the World Cup of Pool, World Pool Masers and Mosconi Cup using Rasson tables I think it is a smart move for Shane to be able to wake up in his home and play on the same table used in these events. Even if they have bigger pockets then the Diamonds it lets him play on the same table used in those big tournaments. He has already mastered the Diamond tables.

I would prefer the Mosconi Cup being played in America on Diamond Pool Tables with 4.5 Pro Cut Pockets.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I would prefer the Mosconi Cup being played in America on Diamond Pool Tables with 4.5 Pro Cut Pockets.

Also make it 10 ball, winner break, RYO w/ magic rack, race to 100. Shane to play each match for USA.

Lol sorry couldn’t help myself.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last time i saw Ronnie Allen ,he said the same thing
these tight pockets are changing the game and i don't like them

I doubt that any of you guys play ronnie's speed,or play one pocket anywhere
near his speed

Wimpy prefered the standard pockets and so did a lot of good players

some don't, I don't see the need to argue,I am just stating my preferences

Trent seems to be looking to argue,what business is it of his if I like to
buy or sell, or why my colors of finish are slightly darker on the legs of my table

Honestly what business is that of his,I almost bought a table or maybe more from Trent,
his looked good on AZ pictures, they cost a lot more than what I could get another one just as good for in my opinion.

do I complain because he charges too much? never even mentioned it till now,and even now in a friendly wa

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I prefer to practice with tight pockets. Going from a 4" to a 5" is easy. Going from 5" to 4" is very difficult.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tate has a point

well stated and accurate

i also have trouble going from 5 to 4,but i had trouble with 4 before i went to 5

i love my new table,i have offered to buy several others as well,but i
will always get 5 inch pockets if i have the choice

i admit i play better when i don't have to worry about tiny pockets

another thing i like about 5 inch pockets and one pocket is that when i hang a ball
in my pocket,the other guy can not get it out.i like that

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True. I scratch much more often practicing at home with 5” pockets, where some nice 4” it would’ve been a good safety or takeout. I feel like I play better on tighter pockets but that could just be a mental thing because the only real 5” experience I have is at home where I’m more relaxed/lazy I guess and when I’m out on a nice solid table I just feel a lot better.

That is another issue taking balls out of 5" pockets is weird. One Pocket is a different game with buckets.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Trent seems to be looking to argue,what business is it of his if I like to
buy or sell, or why my colors of finish are slightly darker on the legs of my table

Honestly what business is that of his,I almost bought a table or maybe more from Trent,
his looked good on AZ pictures, they cost a lot more than what I could get another one just as good for in my opinion.

Not trying to argue. Just asked you some questions about your table. You can take that any way you want. "The table accepts shots the way it should." Not to todays standards. Accept that you are older and want easy pockets. Not this tight pockets are wrong BS. just because they are for you does not mean anything in the world of pool.

Back to the table:
Who restored it?
I am gonna take a stab at the mis-matched stain colors: One of the legs was reveneered an the other was not: fail. Who ever restored it had no idea that the stain used on the legs would not match because the new veneer is different than the original and also that it would be much darker on the rails than the legs. Brazilian Rosewood barely needs stain and surely does not need the same stain as the legs.

I am gonna assume they are not in the restoration business and it was a one-off table. Who knows what else is actually not right about it.... Taking it apart would be the only way to know.

For all of the things I have already said, your price is far away from what it should be.. Being in the business, I know what they are worth. You probably bought it for $8k, pretty sure I saw it in Penn. for sale for that.

I could give a crap less whether you bought anything for me, what I do care about is you selling something for far beyond the market value and the person who buys it gets the SHAFT on a table they are thinking is a gem... You can dress it up how ever you like, people trying to hustle these "unknown" restorations make it harder for people in the actual restoration business to sell these tables.

Trent from Toledo

P.s. I have made some assumptions based on my experience with these tables. If it was an actual restorer I would be surprised.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buckets is an emotive word

I prefer the basic historical standard

I do acknowledge that most current pro players prefer
the 4 inch or so pockets

It reminds me of the US OPEN golf course,the rough is long
the greens are so fast only the very best players in the world can putt

The average golfer on here with a 53 handicap on a good course could
not break 90. The best coutry club house pro can not break 90

It is just more that a test,it is too much different

Any of you golfers on here are invited to try to shoot at 85

It is too tough for the average guy to enjoy

To me,4.25 pockets are the same

Someone said on here,that everyone thinks the old players were better

I for one don't think so, I never recall seeing anyone playing as good as Efren or Alex or SVB

these guys run out every time they get a shot

Perhaps simonis has made the game easier

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its been my experience on here that when a guy starts arguing with everyone
he will continue until he gets the last word in

i

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Call me a liar?? There are somethings you do not call people and in my book that is one of them. I doubt you would ever say that to my face and I am not threatening an old man, there is simply no need and I have more respect for myself than that.

I will post on any thread I feel like. Your table is in the for sale section... Yeah... Seems like I hit the nail on the head about your table. You are just trying to hustle some extra cash out of someone on a table you most likely know nothing about. Stick to your cues.

Oh, wait, you wanna bring Mark Gregory into this?? The guy who you publicly outed about him never delivering your table after all the promises & missed dates? The same guy you told me shorted you thousands of dollars on that deal?? Yeah great business. Trying to recoup some lost money are ya??

I wont go any further with this. I suggest you do the same. Have a nice day.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Are there pictures?

Yes, I said nothing that constitutes being called a Liar. The legs dont match one another and they surely dont match the rails.

Trent from Toledo

Attachments

• eab41f4064f2d785abcbd1490eb32d5b.jpg
    eab41f4064f2d785abcbd1490eb32d5b.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 243

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this table
when i bought it I was thinking of quitting so I put it up for sale

it didn't take long for me to fall in love

I personally can not see what is so wrong according to Trent