Thoughts on pool ,life and 5 inch pockets

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I said nothing that constitutes being called a Liar. The legs dont match one another and they surely dont match the rails.

Trent from Toledo

An interesting phenomena I noticed with my Diamond table. One end of the table was near a window where the afternoon Sun shined in. After a few years I noticed the leg closest to the window and the end rail had faded. I bought some mahogany wood dye and refinished them to a slightly darker color to match the rest of the table.

Now when I remember or when people are playing on it, we close the blinds on that window. No more fading so far.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
every game except 1p is just as enjoyable on standard pockets. and straight pool more so

but for the pro tournaments, there is no going back. they are too good. i sometimes watch old matches and tourneys from 20-30 years ago. big pockets were fine then, but their breaking was not in the same ball park as todays players', and wild body english was commonplace.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else have a problem understanding this measurement? I could tell better what is being measured if I could see the pocket in relation to the table.
Angle where facing meets side cushion nose. Wider than 140deg, narrow throat.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone else have a problem understanding this measurement? I could tell better what is being measured if I could see the pocket in relation to the table.

attachment.php

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you search in YouTube 1988 Sigel earl finals, you will see espn covering a match where goldcrown table is setup in the middle of a large hotel venue and a lot of spectators around but very far away from the table... this is the setup that pool should have every time, this is legit table and pocket size, all tournaments should have this size pockets, it is the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
BTW....

The BCA rule book states:
The corner pocket opening should be between 4 7/8″ and 5 1/8″.
The side pocket opening should be between 5 3/8″ and 5 5/8″.

Last edited:

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I said nothing that constitutes being called a Liar. The legs dont match one another and they surely dont match the rails.

Trent from Toledo

I know you are in the business and have seen tons of original and restored tables and I'm not taking sides (lol, not that it would matter), but at an amateur level having quite a bit of experience with photography there are quite a few variables in play with that particular picture which could result in the differences, one of them simply being source and angle of the lighting in relation to the angle of the photographer. Just saying I'm not sure that they don't match is a foregone conclusion.

Having said that, if it's such a great table, and it looks amazing to me, I think I'd keep it! My old Anniversary doesn't look even a little bit as nice as that does, but the cushions are great, the slate is level and smooth and between the rails it is awesome (to me) - the rest are just some well earned battle scars from being 60+ years old, haha.

Viva la difference (or something like that).

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
BTW....

The BCA rule book states:
The corner pocket opening should be between 4 7/8″ and 5 1/8″.
The side pocket opening should be between 5 3/8″ and 5 5/8″.

Those rules are older than HulaHoop. Nobody goes by them anymore. WPA specs: http://www.billiardsforum.com/billi...l-table-and-billiard-equipment-specifications

I helped you and everyone out by posting the actual WPC specs for those people who are too lazy (mchnhed) to look them up.

The official WPA pool and billiard table specifications for pockets are as follows:

Corner Pocket Mouth: between 4.5 and 4.625 inches (11.43 cm and 11.75 cm)
Side Pocket Mouth: between 5 and 5.125 inches (12.7 cm and 13.0175 cm)
The mouth of the side pocket is generally 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) wider than the mouth of the corner pocket.

The vertical pocket angle or the "back draft" is to be 12 degrees minimum to 15 degrees maximum.
(I wonder what angle Diamond uses and what Glen and Mark use on a GC?)

Horizontal pocket cut angle is to be the same on both sides of a pocket's entrance. The cut angles of the rubber cushions and their rail liner wood backing for each side of the corner pocket opening must be 142 degrees (+1)(Most are using 141 degrees). The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its rail liner wood backing for both sides of the side pocket opening must be 104 degrees (+1). (Again...I wonder what Diamond uses and what Glen, Mark use on a GC?)

The shelf is measured from the center of the imaginary line that runs from one side of the mouth to the other side, where the nose of the cushion changes direction, to the vertical cut of the slate pocket cut. The shelf includes bevel.

Corner pocket shelf is to be between 1 and 2 1/4 inches (2.54 cm and 5.715 cm)
(Damn, that’s a huge difference!)
(Again....WWDD? WWRKCD?)
Side pocket shelf is to be between 0 and .375 inches (0 and .9525 cm)

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I helped you and everyone out by posting the actual specs.

The official WPA pool and billiard table specifications for pockets are as follows:

Corner Pocket Mouth: between 4.5 and 4.625 inches (11.43 cm and 11.75 cm)
Side Pocket Mouth: between 5 and 5.125 inches (12.7 cm and 13.0175 cm)
The mouth of the side pocket is generally 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) wider than the mouth of the corner pocket.

The vertical pocket angle or the "back draft" is to be 12 degrees minimum to 15 degrees maximum.

The shelf is measured from the center of the imaginary line that runs from one side of the mouth to the other side, where the nose of the cushion changes direction, to the vertical cut of the slate pocket cut. The shelf includes bevel.

Horizontal pocket cut angle is to be the same on both sides of a pocket's entrance. The cut angles of the rubber cushions and their rail liner wood backing for each side of the corner pocket opening must be 142 degrees (+1)(Most are using 141 degrees). The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its rail liner wood backing for both sides of the side pocket opening must be 104 degrees (+1).

Corner pocket shelf is to be between 1 and 2 1/4 inches (2.54 cm and 5.715 cm)
Side pocket shelf is to be between 0 and .375 inches (0 and .9525 cm)
When i need your help you'll be the first to know. Believe me, i don't.

Last edited:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deano you better stop, stop it right now

Yup. I speak my mind :) Don't care whether you like it. Not interested in your approval. Have a nice day :)

You are asking to much for that table. If Trent had not of jumped in here and told
everyone not to buy it someone else would have. What makes you think, just
because it's your table you can ask whatever you want. Yup we speak our mind
on here whether it's any of our business or not. In the old days when there was
action we could go around and tell players when they had a bad game. Oh sure
we were called Knock Artist's and told to stay the ---- out of the game it's none
of your business, but that didn't stop us no sir. Another thing, I noticed when we
were at your place that you were wearing pants with one leg cut off above the
knee. I didn't mention it,as I thought you were trying to make a fashion statement.
Thinking about it now, I believe that one leg got tanned and the other didn't when
you were walking Buddy,which explains why your legs are different colors.
jack

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I know you are in the business and have seen tons of original and restored tables and I'm not taking sides (lol, not that it would matter), but at an amateur level having quite a bit of experience with photography there are quite a few variables in play with that particular picture which could result in the differences, one of them simply being source and angle of the lighting in relation to the angle of the photographer. Just saying I'm not sure that they don't match is a foregone conclusion.

Having said that, if it's such a great table, and it looks amazing to me, I think I'd keep it! My old Anniversary doesn't look even a little bit as nice as that does, but the cushions are great, the slate is level and smooth and between the rails it is awesome (to me) - the rest are just some well earned battle scars from being 60+ years old, haha.

Viva la difference (or something like that).

I appreciate your opinion and non aggressive delivery! I have said what I thought and I am sticking to it. I do understand what you are saying, but, I don't think that is the result of the angle/light. The left leg looks much more light brown and the other looks more reddish brown. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think one was re-veneered and the other not, the left one is the suspect, right one original. I will say without more pics, hard to say anything 100%. There is a way to prove this, I mentioned that as well. I doubt he will prove anything.

Dealing with the picture at hand, there is no doubt the rails are not even close to a match to either of the legs at all. As I also mentioned, the stain used on the rails is not going to be the same for the legs because of the woods being so drastically different. Brazilian Rosewood darkens up REALLY fast when you stain it and people who have worked with it know this.

I asked some basic questions and it turned into a mess... The OP deleted all of derogatory comments because he did not like the responses given. I cussed no one, threatened no one and in no way said anything not true. When I see something that affects my business, I am going to question it and I do not care who the person is. $15k for that table is ridiculous in my opinion for the reasons I have already stated and for the "unknown". I have spent way to much time with this and will not be posting anymore on it.

Trent from Toledo

Last edited by a moderator:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triggered?
Need a Safe Space to go to?
You Millennials are so touchy!
Millennnial???????????? Are you insane? Quit playing judge/moderator. I don't want/need your opinion on my actions. You know how to find stuff on here so don't act like you need you hand held. Really do without your snide little comments.