Tight pockets are NOT good for the game!

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The "aren't good" players that want to play on the tightest tables in the room will never be good players. They have been "C" players for many years and have no desire to become better, they seem to enjoy the tougher pockets.
jtompilot, that pretty much describes me. I play at home on my 5x10 snooker table with difficult pockets. It is not going to make me better for league, but at my age, over 60, past my peak, the game is all about my personal enjoyment. It is fun. I don't have the time, desire or stamina to practice multiple hours every day to get incrementally better. Truthfully for all but a very few this is a hobby that we love but still a hobby. Who cares about somebody else's opinion on anything lot alone pool? LOL

shooter_Hans

Well there comes a point called the laws of diminishing returns in regards how much you can get better as the smaller the pockets become.

If what I mentioned above isn't the case than why not make the pockets 4" or 3.5"?

It comes to a point when the size of pocket will not improve your game. Tight pockets or not we always aim down the center of the pocket. There is a reason why making the ball off center is called "cheating the pocket".

Flakeandrun

The logic that the better a player is the tighter the equipment is terrible for spectating. Can you imagine if the NBA played on 12 ft rims because, "too many players can dunk now." Or the NFL raising the crossbar because the kickers are too good? Or EPL shrinking the goals because too many guys can bend it like Beckham?

Pro sports is about entertainment, not making sure the most dedicated autist wins every event. A looser game, especially for nineball, ya know the fast gambling game, is much better for spectators. How many times does that Melling run out get passed around compared to a Filler break and run where he never gets out of line.

If the game is indeed too easy with 4.5 pockets, great, shorten the shot clock and lengthen the races. More opportunities for something exciting to happen.
An interesting outlook. This makes more sense than some of the other suggestions. I still think I stand with my previous thoughts, but I see your logic

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jtompilot, that pretty much describes me. I play at home on my 5x10 snooker table with difficult pockets. It is not going to make me better for league, but at my age, over 60, past my peak, the game is all about my personal enjoyment. It is fun. I don't have the time, desire or stamina to practice multiple hours every day to get incrementally better. Truthfully for all but a very few this is a hobby that we love but still a hobby. Who cares about somebody else's opinion on anything lot alone pool? LOL
I’m 67, maybe I should come over some time and play snooker🤣

Ghost of OBC

An interesting outlook. This makes more sense than some of the other suggestions. I still think I stand with my previous thoughts, but I see your logic
Pool is a game against an opponent, like table tennis or chess. Why we don't have a standard board or field or whatever you want to call it makes no sense. It makes practicing a nightmare.

Can you imagine a world class table tennis player getting to the Olympics to find out they've decided to go with "high nets" this tournament? If you want to know why pro pool is Mickey Mouse its crap like this. "Oh, rooms on the west coast mostly went 4.25, the local players says it gives them an advantage..."

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a game against an opponent, like table tennis or chess. Why we don't have a standard board or field or whatever you want to call it makes no sense. It makes practicing a nightmare.

Can you imagine a world class table tennis player getting to the Olympics to find out they've decided to go with "high nets" this tournament? If you want to know why pro pool is Mickey Mouse its crap like this. "Oh, rooms on the west coast mostly went 4.25, the local players says it gives them an advantage..."
This is never going to change. Snooker has different size pockets for club tables vs. pro tables and nobody says a thing about it. Never be a 'standard' pocket size in pool.

Flakeandrun

I agree. Standardization is key. But 4.5 as the standard? Nah. By all means halls should cater to various skill sets. Like mentioned. But observable progression for those hooked on the game is necessary.

Ghost of OBC

This is never going to change. Snooker has different size pockets for club tables vs. pro tables and nobody says a thing about it. Never be a 'standard' pocket size in pool.
That is a welcome form of "standardization" that would be great for pool. As it is, a travel APA team could play on anything from 4.25 to 5 plus in a single season. A pro standard and a rec standard would be great. Showing up to a tournament and not knowing what the equipment will be like is the nonsense.

Ghost of OBC

I agree. Standardization is key. But 4.5 as the standard? Nah. By all means halls should cater to various skill sets. Like mentioned. But observable progression for those hooked on the game is necessary.

Someone else mentioned the club and pro standards in snooker, which would be great. If league tables were all 4.75 and pro tables 4.25, or 4 or whatever they decide, that'd be awesome. If someone wanted a table to practice for amateur leagues they could buy a league table, same for pros. Now, if you want to buy a "tournament" table, wtf does that mean? Could be anything from a BB with 5 inch buckets to a 9 ft table at 4 inches. As it is just for Diamond tables there are three lengths and 5 pocket sizes. That's 15 different spec combinations. Certainly if we simplified that to 6 we could all still manage to improve.

pw98

Registered
I put my table through Dr. Dave's TT rating. In fact, many tables here would sit quite high up that list I imagine. I do have some tables I hate playing on when my friends want me to play at other venues. Familiarity with a table also plays a part in our shot selection.
Dr Dave's TDF system generalized difficulty. You can still have a tough table th

We don't because it would cost too much money to fix/replace all the tables.

Plus many players would get mad and quit.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone else mentioned the club and pro standards in snooker, which would be great. If league tables were all 4.75 and pro tables 4.25, or 4 or whatever they decide, that'd be awesome. If someone wanted a table to practice for amateur leagues they could buy a league table, same for pros. Now, if you want to buy a "tournament" table, wtf does that mean? Could be anything from a BB with 5 inch buckets to a 9 ft table at 4 inches. As it is just for Diamond tables there are three lengths and 5 pocket sizes. That's 15 different spec combinations. Certainly if we simplified that to 6 we could all still manage to improve.
I thought it was 4 pocket sizes. 4 3/4 or 4 1/2. Custom sizes 4 1/4 and 4 1/8.
7’ 8’ 9’ and 10’ tables. 16 combinations.

When I get a house it will be 9’ with 4 1/4

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One idea that may gain headway sometime in the future is quickly adjustable or perhaps easier if costly, quick change rails. It would be nice if two guys could swap a table from pro configuration to league configuration in twenty minutes or less. It could be done. Costs and incentive are the issues.

Hu

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One idea that may gain headway sometime in the future is quickly adjustable or perhaps easier if costly, quick change rails. It would be nice if two guys could swap a table from pro configuration to league configuration in twenty minutes or less. It could be done. Costs and incentive are the issues.

Hu
Would actually be about the only way Chinese 8 ball would ever get any interest here in the U.S. If I had a set of those rails I could throw on for practice and the spare rails stored in the table, that would be really cool.

Flakeandrun

Would actually be about the only way Chinese 8 ball would ever get any interest here in the U.S. If I had a set of those rails I could throw on for practice and the spare rails stored in the table, that would be really cool.
but the actual cloth is vastly different also, napped cloth plays like it's from a different galaxy to Simonis, CPBA, Andy etc
(nothing quite like the green baize)

Ghost of OBC

Dr Dave's TDF system generalized difficulty. You can still have a tough table th

We don't because it would cost too much money to fix/replace all the tables.

Plus many players would get mad and quit.
The best time to standardize tables was yesterday. The next best time is today.