Tight Pockets

XPLSV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm all for standardization of pocket size, but it is a good point that the better players will rise to the top without regard to the size of the pocket or size of the table. These things will change aspects of the game and there is probably something to be said for playing/practicing under varying conditions and adapting to the specifics of the time and place. Fenway Park will never be Coors Field...and just as baseball stadiums will never be the same, there will always be varying conditions as to the table make, the pocket setup, the installed cloth, etc.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I guess I need to say this again since apparently I wasn't clear enough. I am talking about big tournaments, professional tournaments, not those that you are talking about. I hope I don't have to say it a 3rd time.

r/DCP

You're going to have to say it a 3rd time because I find it hysterical that you would rather go donate in the big events then play in something smaller with people closer to your own level. Now I understand completely doing it for the experience, but you need to get experience with playing someone you might be able to beat as well.

There is no point in making your pockets smaller if you are not going to compete regularly. No point at all. Sure you will get better, but no one will ever know. You will be getting better for the sake of beating yourself better. Not beating anyone else, not winning anything, not contributing too a team or anything like that. Sure you might have people over on occasion, but that's just a social call and doesnt mean shit. You could be running 8 packs and these posts are just you *****ing about the 9th break and run but no one will ever know. It doesnt matter how good you are if you dont go compete.

What about traveling to the Expo next month? (I have no idea when HS Basketball season is). Expo has a massive Amateur Tourney and a Pro Event not to mention you can meet up and shoot with multiple forum members who would be able to give you some good competition. Ive been going for the last 10 years. It's a great time. A Ton of action over there from cheap to expensive. Almost every cue maker in the country will be there. A lot of cue dealers and vendors, etc. Lots to do there.

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
You're going to have to say it a 3rd time because I find it hysterical that you would rather go donate in the big events then play in something smaller with people closer to your own level.

There is a decent amount of strong players in indiana, many of them around Indy. Guys like Brian Gregg, Brian Groce, Jeff Beckly, and a bunch of others. Brickyard has some pretty good tournaments. Evidently he just wants a chance to be on tv, but I'm willing to bet he is going 2 and out in most any professional tournament.

Nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with getting the experience of playing them either. I only mentioned the fact he plays by him self to answer the pocket question. I'm sure he plays better than me actually, just find it funny that in one breath he says there is no where to play, and in the next goes with he only wants to play national open tournaments.

Good luck DCP in your journey.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The tight pocket debate has been waged a million times already. I still believe that unless a table is going to be exclusively a one pocket table or an action table, anything smaller than 4 1/4" actually detracts from the game, moreover if your table is solely for recreational purposes. I can shoot on small pocket tables, but it's not nearly as fun for rotation games/14.1 where you need to stroke a ball every once in a while. It's such a frustrating thing to know that your stroke could get you where you need to be for the next shot but since the table plays so stupid, you're better off playing safe. That's really just no fun.

I just push the ball in and continue. My pockets vary from 4 1/8 to 4 1/4. I still hit the shots hard, if they go they go, if not, continue on. 10' table btw.
I wouldnt trade a 10' with tight pockets for any other table
Jason

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that the pockets have been tightened from 5" to 4.25" my table is extremely stingy with regards to giving up balls. So, I am wondering......would it help matters any if I started to rack the 9-Ball on the spot?

I just watched an Accu-Stats U.S. Open video where Earl and Buddy were playing and they racked the 9B on the spot. Of course, they were using the Sardo Rack in this match.

r/DCP

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Now that the pockets have been tightened from 5" to 4.25" my table is extremely stingy with regards to giving up balls. So, I am wondering......would it help matters any if I started to rack the 9-Ball on the spot?

I just watched an Accu-Stats U.S. Open video where Earl and Buddy were playing and they racked the 9B on the spot. Of course, they were using the Sardo Rack in this match.

r/DCP

You are complaining about not making balls on the break... you do know the reason for putting the 9ball on the spot was to make it harder to make balls on the break, right?

Why did you make your pockets smaller if you are never going to compete anywhere?

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Who says i'm not? There's just nothing in the area as far as competition goes.

DCP

You said you're not. You just did in that statement. You mentioned playing in a pro event, but that's not competing. That's just having fun.

...and you are lying to yourself. Other's have mentioned multiple forms of competition near you.

Seriously man, you could be running 8 packs and I and everyone else on AZ (with the exception of a handful of people that have actually seen you play) and the rest of the pool world will never know. Even so... you dont have to be known. You dont have to be good. You dont have to be bad. Just go play.

Youve been *****ing about blown runouts on this forum for probably a decade now. A great lock down safe or an incredible kick safe is just as rewarding a feeling as a break and run and sometimes more so, but you would never know.

Out of curiosity... why do you shoot? Sure it's fun, I get that, it's also fun to the drunk banger putting quarters in a pool table at the local bar... but what do you play for? Why do you practice and beat yourself up over misses to the point of posting a thread about it on AZ?

See I get mad when I play bad. I get mad at myself. When in competition at a tourney or gambling and even when im at a poolhall practicing by myself and at home practicing. I get really pissed. Pissed to the point of thinking it's absurd how mad I got, but rarely have I went and *****ed about it to someone else looking for the fix. I know I'm the problem. I have a reason to be mad though, because if I continue to play bad its going to cost me more money, frustration, embarrassment and heartache.... because I love this game and I love to compete in it.

You need to get out there man and find a reason to get pissed about bad play, because only playing at home isn't one.

With that being said I'm going downstairs to berate myself after I lose these next three sets to the ghost :)

BelleBelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No competition in your area? What is your idea of area, within 15 minutes of where you live? I live in southern Indiana, I'll play you.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
No competition in your area? What is your idea of area, within 15 minutes of where you live? I live in southern Indiana, I'll play you.

But you're not Shane, Earl, or Efren.

That way he has an excuse. If he loses to an Apa 5 then he still can't act like a champion. Lol. Some people.......

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member

r/DCP
Racking the 9 on the spot will make it harder to make the wing balls. Get a magic rack or one of Renfro's Accuracks. The easiest way to make a ball is having a template that freezes all of the balls.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But you're not Shane, Earl, or Efren.

That way he has an excuse. If he loses to an Apa 5 then he still can't act like a champion. Lol. Some people.......

EXACTLY!

Its better to shoot 87-87 and miss the cut in the U.S. Open than it is to finish 2nd in a mini-tour.

Its better to lose 11-0 and 11-0 in a pro tournament than to finish 2nd in a local tournament.

r/DCP

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
EXACTLY!

Its better to shoot 87-87 and miss the cut in the U.S. Open than it is to finish 2nd in a mini-tour.

Its better to lose 11-0 and 11-0 in a pro tournament than to finish 2nd in a local tournament.

r/DCP

No, it's not better. Not better at all. Sure it's ok and fun to do on occasion.

You are afraid to lose to other amateurs.

Losing 11-0 and finishing 2nd in a local tournament will net you a decent payout and respect as a shooter. Losing 11-0 in a pro event means you barely shot and lost a ton of cash including entry and travel fees and were a laughing stock among the other players and the "wtf was he thinking" guy among the spectators.

You realize the guy you quoted wasnt siding with you.

More important then us, who you continually whine too, YOU will never know how good you are or can be. You will continue to judge yourself on accustats ratings and failed break and runs, as opposed to any type of win or loss... and that's sad.

Last edited:

Qaddiction

User name says it all...
Silver Member
EXACTLY!

r/DCP

I see a problem with this logic.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone out there has never played a competitive golf tournament, then won the US Open. Nobody has never played in a local pool tournament, then won a pro pool tournament.

It's called learning how to win. We all make mistakes along the journey. Some people learn from those mistakes. I'm not a gambler, but I am sure the sting from losing while gambling is that much worse. Hence the focus on learning from those mistakes is that much greater.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
I see a problem with this logic.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone out there has never played a competitive golf tournament, then won the US Open. Nobody has never played in a local pool tournament, then won a pro pool tournament.

It's called learning how to win. We all make mistakes along the journey. Some people learn from those mistakes. I'm not a gambler, but I am sure the sting from losing while gambling is that much worse. Hence the focus on learning from those mistakes is that much greater.

This post is perfect. Way more eloquent then mine. Great post!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
With 4.25 inch pockets is it possible this Gold Crown IV can play too tough? One poster told me that would be brutal to play on. I've noticed I'm not getting too many chances off the break the last few days.

r/DCP

Here's some close ups of my GC4 with 4.25 corners and 4.75 sides. Set up and rails were done by Donny Wessel. Plays great for 9-10 Ball and One Hole. It's a little tough for 14.1 TBH, but workable. Just can't cheat 'em as much as I'd like to provide the best playability for straight pool. I play a softer old school game and given the choice prefer to use cut angle for position rather than a rail.

008.jpg

014.jpg

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tight pocket debate has been waged a million times already. I still believe that unless a table is going to be exclusively a one pocket table or an action table, anything smaller than 4 1/4" actually detracts from the game, moreover if your table is solely for recreational purposes. I can shoot on small pocket tables, but it's not nearly as fun for rotation games/14.1 where you need to stroke a ball every once in a while. It's such a frustrating thing to know that your stroke could get you where you need to be for the next shot but since the table plays so stupid, you're better off playing safe. That's really just no fun.

It sure sounds like your stroke *can't* get you where you need to be if shooting the ball in the center of the hole is some sort of obstacle to you. I personally LOVE the feeling of stroking a big shot right into the hole with loads of spin or other cueball action on a very tight table. So rewarding and satisfying. I think that sort of feeling and desire is the thing that motivates some people to try and become high level players. With all due respect, I don't think the table plays stupid. I think maybe your stroke just needs some work. Perhaps that would change your opinion. Not trying to be mean...I've just never heard a very strong player say they don't like playing on tight tables.

KMRUNOUT