Tip & Ivory Ferrule Cost?

Taiko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a fair price for an ivory ferrule with a Moori med tip? The original ferrule has a crack. It is not ivory.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Taiko said:
What is a fair price for an ivory ferrule with a Moori med tip? The original ferrule has a crack. It is not ivory.

I would image you would be looking at a minimum of $100 and probably a maximum of $150.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zeeder said:
I would image you would be looking at a minimum of $100 and probably a maximum of $150.

That sounds kind of high, what is the break down you are using between materials and labor? I would put a moori tip at $10.00 and you can get ivory ferrules for around $15.00 that would put the labor at $75 to $125.00 using your figures.

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Sounds fair

I just checked around the Internet and that price is right on. Most are getting between $50.00 and $75.00 for the ivory ferrule installation. Moori tips are generally supplied and installed for between $30 and $50.

As I see it, that puts the cost between $80.00 on the low side and $125.00 on the high side.

You will find that repair costs vary depending on the area of the country you live in. Supply in demand steps into play here. Hope that helps.

Gene

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
macguy said:
That sounds kind of high, what is the break down you are using between materials and labor? I would put a moori tip at $10.00 and you can get ivory ferrules for around $15.00 that would put the labor at $75 to $125.00 using your figures.

I'm getting the numbers from what cuemakers charge for ivory ferrules and Moori tips on new cues. Most every cuemaker I've talked to charges $75 for ivory ferrules and at least $25 for Moori tips. For instance, Mike Webb's website quotes $75 for an ivory ferrule including standard tip and $35 for a Moori. I would assume that the total would be right around $100 for the two combined. That being said, I probably overestimated the min and max a bit. Cuedog is probably more accurate with $80 to $125.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zeeder said:
I'm getting the numbers from what cuemakers charge for ivory ferrules and Moori tips on new cues. Most every cuemaker I've talked to charges $75 for ivory ferrules and at least $25 for Moori tips. For instance, Mike Webb's website quotes $75 for an ivory ferrule including standard tip and $35 for a Moori. I would assume that the total would be right around $100 for the two combined. That being said, I probably overestimated the min and max a bit. Cuedog is probably more accurate with $80 to $125.

You are absolutely correct Sir:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zeeder said:

You are charging the labor twice, ferrules come with a tip. You just charge the price of the tip plus a small mark up, so for a moori tip with a ferrule it should add about $15. to $20 to the price and that would be making a 100% on the price of the tip. The right price would be Your cost of the ferrule, $15.00 plus cost of the tip $10.00 total $25.00 plus like a 25% or 30% mark up on the materials. making parts $32.00 to $35.00. If the repair guy gets say $35.00 for a standard ferrule the right price minus gouging would be about $65 to $70.00. $100. or more is really gouging the customer.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
People gouge bigtime for ivory, and they gouge for Moori tips too. Not sure why, but it happens.

hotcues

Biggest Edwin Reyes Fan
Silver Member
macguy said:
You are charging the labor twice, ferrules come with a tip. You just charge the price of the tip plus a small mark up, so for a moori tip with a ferrule it should add about $15. to $20 to the price and that would be making a 100% on the price of the tip. The right price would be Your cost of the ferrule, $15.00 plus cost of the tip $10.00 total $25.00 plus like a 25% or 30% mark up on the materials. making parts $32.00 to $35.00. If the repair guy gets say $35.00 for a standard ferrule the right price minus gouging would be about $65 to $70.00. $100. or more is really gouging the customer.

No ferrule come with a tip less you count slip on. I charge $25 for the moori and $75 for the (ivory) ferrule and that is cheap!

hotcues

Biggest Edwin Reyes Fan
Silver Member
The cost of the ivory is because it can crack putting it on! My markup on a morri is less than a reg. tip.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice comments, Is this where we compare the prices on Auto parts and food again. How about the medical industry.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Michael Webb said:
Nice comments, Is this where we compare the prices on Auto parts and food again. How about the medical industry.
Ivory Ferrule=Hair Coloring at Supercuts
Moori Tip= Perm
Ivory ferrule and Moori tip at the same time=Perm and color deal.:D

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hotcues said:
No ferrule come with a tip less you count slip on. I charge $25 for the moori and $75 for the (ivory) ferrule and that is cheap!
So you charge $60.00 labor for an ivory ferrule and you won't even supply a $.50 Triangle tip with the job?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hotcues said:
The cost of the ivory is because it can crack putting it on! My markup on a morri is less than a reg. tip.
How many have you actually had crack? I have been fooling with cues for like 30 years and can't say I can remember one cracking while I was putting it on. I have to change that, I was just thinking about it is closer to 40 years.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I think some of these people, should send their cues to the Guy who advertises cue repair on eBay, where you send him you cue and he repairs and returns it. Everybody wants something for nothing, and they complain about what they get because many times it is not what they want. WAKE-UP YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, SO IF YOU GO WITH THE CHEAPEST DEAL YOU MAY NOT GET THE BEST WORK OR THE BEST PRICE IN THE LONG RUN, BUT YOU STILL GOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.:D

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
I think some of these people, should send their cues to the Guy who advertises cue repair on eBay, where you send him you cue and he repairs and returns it. Everybody wants something for nothing, and they complain about what they get because many times it is not what they want. WAKE-UP YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, SO IF YOU GO WITH THE CHEAPEST DEAL YOU MAY NOT GET THE BEST WORK OR THE BEST PRICE IN THE LONG RUN, BUT YOU STILL GOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.:D

I was prompted to make my response when one poster said from $100. to $150.00. $150. to install a $15.00 ferrule and a $10.00 tip? I just questioned how he thought the labor and material cost broke down. I think the price I quoted was based on logic and not a number picked out of thin air based on nothing other then what one thinks the biggest sucker may be willing to pay.

I recently had a new water pump put in my car. It was about $200. so I told the mechanic to change the timing belt while he was at it. The total came to $235. If I just had the belt put in it would also have been around $200. but the both jobs done at the same time don't add up the what the jobs would be if done independently because of the overlapping labor, that's how things work. Cost has to have a basis and I just questioned how the cost of the tip and ferrule was arrived at. Has nothing to do with being cheap just. Suckers say, "What do I owe you here my wallet". Over paying does not guarantee you good work just you are dealing with a thief. I would be more prone to stay away from someone charging $150.00 to put on a tip and ferrule then one with a price that makes sense?

I'll tell you another story, I picked up a car with a blown engine and put it on the back of the property till I could find an engine. I found one at a salvage yard from a rear end crash that had low mileage and bought it for $500. When I started called around I was getting quotes of over a thousand to drop in the engine. I was about to do it myself and a guy at the pool room gave me the number of a small shop in town so I gave him a call. He gave me a price of $500 plus add on's like belts filters, fluids and so on.

I took a ride over there and found a small neat as a pin two man shop with a two week plus waiting list for their work. After talking to the owner and making an appointment, I told him, his price was about half what some of the others quoted me for the job, I asked why they worked so cheap? The guy looked at me and said, "Who said we work cheap"? The fact was they didn't work cheap but were very efficient and for the true labor for them to do the job it was pretty much book labor, they just work faster and know what they are doing.

They are so busy they have no reason to rip anyone off or invent jobs, they already have more work then they can do. That was like six or sever years ago and the shop is always like that. Honest work done right. If they say it will be ready on Tuesday it will. People who know their business and are good at what they do, don't have to rip you off.
I always laugh when I think of his comment when I first met him, "Who says we work cheap", he can buy and sell all the thieves in town with his well run business.

Last edited: