Tip Pulverized

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've found out with my big swing, the LD shaft breaks down the leather in my single layer tip quicker than in the past using maple....I don't trust the tip leather after I've gotten 1/2 down in wear....the leather is not the same....not as hard, as when new.
I've gotten 2 unexpected miscues in two different tips. One tip started coming apart in strings of leather.
Done hundreds of lepro tips for yrs in pool rooms.
To me everything has a reason.
Those layered tips have allot more structure thus waay less breakdown, like 1/2 plywood vs 1/2'' of wood.
But I can buy a box of 50 le/pros and find 12-14 good keeper tips.
Think I'll try le pro Hard One time.
I hate to pay for one tip, that's the same as one box, just doesn't feel right, yet. :)
I'll know in two mths if the Hard tip works. Hope it does.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Talking Elkmasters rather than LePros but I found weighing the tips to be an excellent way to sort out tips. Ten years or so ago now but I got about forty out of fifty good tips sorting by weight. The other nine were superlight and I tossed them. Now that companies are doing their own sorting I wonder if the culls now are sold with tips that haven't been sorted through?

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've found out with my big swing, the LD shaft breaks down the leather in my single layer tip quicker than in the past using maple....I don't trust the tip leather after I've gotten 1/2 down in wear....the leather is not the same....not as hard, as when new.
I've gotten 2 unexpected miscues in two different tips. One tip started coming apart in strings of leather.
Done hundreds of lepro tips for yrs in pool rooms.
To me everything has a reason.
Those layered tips have allot more structure thus waay less breakdown, like 1/2 plywood vs 1/2'' of wood.
But I can buy a box of 50 le/pros and find 12-14 good keeper tips.
Think I'll try le pro Hard One time.
I hate to pay for one tip, that's the same as one box, just doesn't feel right, yet. :)
I'll know in two mths if the Hard tip works. Hope it does.
Have you looked at UltraSkin layered tips? Inexpensive and good quality. AzBer TomHay has ‘em.

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd think it more likely the specific tips that failed were defective.

One of us touched em...and it ain't I.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A carbon shaft should impart more energy into the cue tip compared to a wood shaft of the same weight. The wood has quite a lot of energy absorption compared to a carbon shaft. Some ferrules can influence this as well. My carbon shaft with an Aluminium ferrule and tip holder puts more energy into the tip compared to the same shaft that uses a softer plastic ferrule. With offset a plastic tip pad can allow for less deflection with a carbon shaft.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part, unless you're playing a pro, those with a King Kong break have a weak spot....right after the break. They can't run out. I've made victims of many big breakers. They're good to jump the ball off the table a couple times each set, allowing you to run out with BIH. Proof of playing well without a monster break is Efren. He never had a good break, but he busted those that did.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its been about three years since I've played with maple but I haven't noticed any difference in tip wear other than I've had problems with Victory soft. Since then I've been using Searing's Precision Tips. At $10 a tip you cant beat them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its been about three years since I've played with maple but I haven't noticed any difference in tip wear other than I've had problems with Victory soft. Since then I've been using Searing's Precision Tips. At $10 a tip you cant beat them.
The Thoroughbred's are same price and are fantastic tips.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A carbon shaft should impart more energy into the cue tip compared to a wood shaft of the same weight. The wood has quite a lot of energy absorption compared to a carbon shaft. Some ferrules can influence this as well. My carbon shaft with an Aluminium ferrule and tip holder puts more energy into the tip compared to the same shaft that uses a softer plastic ferrule. With offset a plastic tip pad can allow for less deflection with a carbon shaft.
But that should mean that you can shoot softer and get the same energy into the cue ball. The wear and tear on the tip should be the same.

Geosnookery

I’m not even part of this world.

You have gone through hundreds of lepro tips? I play everyday and still have a couple of Elkmasters from a box of 24 I purchased well over a decade ago. I use my Snooker cue for American pool and Snooker so even more concentrated energy on the tip.

This has nothing to do with the cue and likely not much to do with tips. Seems more like some Gremlin inside the case is using the leather to make shoes. Or maybe the glue ou use being corrosive in some way.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Never glazed on me once. SIB's felt like a marshmallow to me. Each his own i guess.
The yellows are marshmallows, the blue are the nuts. I have had horrible glazing with the Thoroughbreds on a few cues, so I just went back to the blues

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Bob that is correct, but peopel who break with their player hit the tip harder than before.