Tips on how to appreciate 8ball

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey,

I'm a decent player, I can't fit in any official rating but let's put it that way, my record is 4 10ball racks and I often reach local tournaments pretty often. (playing for 2 years)

The problem is I don't like 8ball. I find it borring (I know it's not), probably borred by all these stop shots people play.

I love snooker, 10ball/9ball, long distance safety play, travelling around the table, kick shots.

Any tip to help me appreciate 8ball ?

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You either like it or you don't I guess, so I won't worry about it unless you plan on adding it to you rotation.
Now to answer your question I'll put it like this.
1) An individual my have a certain "want" for improving their game to explore other games regardless of their reservations for it, take 1P or 3 cushion as an example
2) If a person truly open to exploring other games then (IMO) the best way to go about that is to truly see the benefits of said game to their repertoire and approach said game in that manner.
So for example try to either see 8 ball as a way to accurately plot your CB path as you try to avoid the other ball (as much as possible) or bumping the other balls creating a cluster (strategy) for your opponent, see it as working on both your short game and long game (like 14.1 but with more long game) and this way it becomes more like a drill "a fun drill if you want to call it that" rather than a set drill. Just like 1P teach you safes, pocket speed and bunting to name a few or 14.1 with CB control, CB path/bumping balls and short game.
That's my take

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey,

I'm a decent player, I can't fit in any official rating but let's put it that way, my record is 4 10ball racks and I often reach local tournaments pretty often. (playing for 2 years)

The problem is I don't like 8ball. I find it borring (I know it's not), probably borred by all these stop shots people play.

I love snooker, 10ball/9ball, long distance safety play, travelling around the table, kick shots.

8-ball can be an enjoyable game, if you are playing a playing against a player of similar skill level, or better. However, generally players who want to play 8-ball are not as high a skill level as for instance a 9-ball, one-pocket or 14.1 player are. Certainly there are exceptions to that assumption.

I find when I'm playing 8-ball against a weaker player, it becomes very frustrating, particularly if the balls are not spread out well on the break - usually the result of your opponent either giving you a bad rack or your opponent not hitting the balls squarely with velocity on their break.

In those instances, when the balls are tied up, it's not possible to run out in one or two innings, and even a weaker player has a chance to pocket a number of their balls and maybe even win some games. The number of times your weaker opponent leaves you absolutely no shot just by sheer luck is something you just have to accept and deal with as best you can.

I find at least for myself, you don't have to like 8-ball, but if you're playing against someone and that's what they want to play, it's good for your discipline and patience to play it and just accept what the table gives you. Unlike 9-ball, particularly if I'm playing against a considerable weaker player, I don't even think about playing defensive shots even though strategically to maximize my chance to win every game, I should, but it's just not the courteous thing to do. That all changes when you're playing a 8-ball against a good player, in which there is a lot of strategy and safeties and it's a totally different game.

If nothing else, playing 8-ball occasionally makes me appreciate how much I prefer playing 14.1 or rotation games!

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch

Watch top tier players like Melling etc. play Chinese 8 ball. I did and all of a sudden found a new appreciation for the game.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me the beauty of 8 ball is the solving of a puzzle
each visit to the table. Most of the time there is only one
perfect pattern for each layout, it is your challenge to find it.
If there is no way to run it this is a perfect time to put the
layout in your favor. Choose your side, open your balls, hide
whitey, out think your opponent.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the most enjoyable game of 8-ball is "last pocket 8-ball".

Makes you think a bit harder and requires some "moves" to be made.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no rule that says you have to like it... Straight pool may be a better option for you.

I think it's a much more enjoyable game on a tight bar table.

I also think "last pocket" and/or "take what you make" greatly enhance the game.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think of 8 ball like a mix of one pocket and straight pool rather than like how you would play 9 ball. There can be more "moving" in 8 ball, especially in games where the other side has an edge with layout, and there is more navigating clusters and table congestion, which can lead to some fun and smarter games being played.

Some of my favorite games came up in 8 ball where there was not a clear run out, or some end game issues to sort out, and me and another player that knew how to play would be trying to out-think and out-execute the other one. Usually when one of us wins there is a congratulations and a high-five from the other to show a well played game.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think "last pocket" and/or "take what you make" greatly enhance the game.

This is the way we play it. Last pocket and take what you make on the break.

My normal opponent dreads it because he says it makes him "think too much". He is a good player and can get out at times, but, IMHO, can't see the "moves".

I keep him so "tied up" that I probably win 3 games to his every 1 and he can't stand it. I tell him that I'm going to make him "play MY game" and shoot "what I want him to shoot", instead of what he would like to shoot. By that, I mean I will give him certain shots that I know he has no chance of getting out on. I will force him to shoot balls that are near the pockets so that it will open up lanes for my balls or force him to shoot balls that are clustered up next to mine. If he gets down to one ball and it is near the 8-ball and an easy pocket, I'll take an intentional foul and shoot the 8-ball down table or into a cluster where it won't go into his last pocket. I make him THINK.

He shoots himself into a predicament and then I can just "toy around" with him until the layout is favorable for me to run out.

One pocket experience comes in handy when playing this game. Knowing which balls to give up and where to move balls for table advantage.

Last edited:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch any top player on youtube playing in darren appleton’s world pool series. The way these people solve problems and clusters is uncanny.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Just back from the local VFW Sat. afternoon 8-Ball tourney.
No one is headed to the Mosconi Cup again this year NBD.

We try to keep it simple as some are older then the dirt in the parking lot.
Sink one on the break and that's your group. minor fouls
are a non-event as most folks hands do some serious shaking. If ya ain't got patience
don't sign-up. Don't get me wrong there are a few really good shooters there
as well When ya get matched up with one it can and generally does get truly
interesting. Some good safety play, some just moving a ball or 2 here-n-there,
leave Mr. White kinda peakin' out from behind one of yours ... it's only a game
Bud, enjoy it, make the most of every game ya play. Ya only go around once
in this life might as well make it a fun one.

We also do 8-Ball on Tues and Slop 9-Ball on Thurs. I mean Slop in the truest
form No Push-out and even if ya hit the lowest ball on the table and the 9 drops
they win the match. Been trying to get them to just call the 9 or even if they think
it might have the slimmest chance of droppin' to at least mention it. Nope, they
don't want to hear it. The better shooters do so at least that's a consulation.

hank

azlarry

Registered
Last pocket 8 ball is good.

If you get bored, try running your group in numerical order or banking all your balls maybe. It's nice to have the option not to do either :cool:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Hey,

You can find a few 8 ball variations here... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey,

Sure . Watch good 8-ball on yourube with good commentary.

In the past couple of years with Darren’s WPS 8-ball events and the CSI US Open 8-ball on 9’ tables, as well as several small table events (streamed by CSI and On the Wire Media), fans now have better 8-ball to watch and listen to the commentary.

Freddie <~~~ shameless back patting

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of rules variations make games interesting. Last pocket certainly lends something to 8 ball. Take what you make I’m not so sure about - it just seems totally at odds with the central concept of 8 ball. I think the way to appreciate 8 ball is to, well, just appreciate it for what it is. It’s a deeper game than 9 or 10 ball at whatever level of play but I guess there are less urban myths about big money races to 100 and less stories about unusual racks than there are about the “rotation” games.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like 8 ball, I enjoy solving the patterns and negotiating my way out of trouble. Rotation games are more of a shooters game where games like 8 ball and 1 pocket involve a little thinking. Okay maybe one pocket requires a lot of thinking. The problem with 8 ball as a pro game is that they pretty much run all the racks. One mistake can cost you the match.

Last edited: