Titlist History and the term "Professional Taper"

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This link below has scans from the 1942 Brunswick catalog, with one of the first appearances of the "new" Willie Hoppe Titlist.

I was thumbing through a 1951 Brunswick catalog and I noticed they introduced the "Professional Taper" on the Titlist. What's interesting is they did this to make the closed bridge easier -since there is very little taper they say the bridging is more accurate.

Any additional information is most welcome. Who would have thought the "Pro Taper" terminology was so old?

http://www.palmercollector.com/Brunswick1942and1951.html

Chris
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the scans ! Wish I could pick up a few of those Titlist's at those prices :grin-square:
 
I cant get enough of the history of pool. Although I have seen these pages I appreciate you posting this. I never get tired of looking at them. I found a Titlist cue in Denver a few years back and got that cue for a unreal price. Now I have come to find out it is one of the oldest of the Willie Hoppe cues. It is one of my prize possessions.
 
Hey Chris, did you buy that K? I wanted to bid, looks like someone got a smokin' deal at less than $1200. Great info on the Titlist history.
 
Hey Chris, did you buy that K? I wanted to bid, looks like someone got a smokin' deal at less than $1200. Great info on the Titlist history.

That wasn't me. I was made aware of the auction and decided against it. I'm getting kind of spooked about buying cues sight unseen anymore but if the cue is right, I'll get it.

Chris
 
This link below has scans from the 1942 Brunswick catalog, with one of the first appearances of the "new" Willie Hoppe Titlist.

I was thumbing through a 1951 Brunswick catalog and I noticed they introduced the "Professional Taper" on the Titlist. What's interesting is they did this to make the closed bridge easier -since there is very little taper they say the bridging is more accurate.

Any additional information is most welcome. Who would have thought the "Pro Taper" terminology was so old?

http://www.palmercollector.com/Brunswick1942and1951.html

Chris

Hello Chris, I just checked my catalogs and my 1949 Brunswick catalog also talks about the professional taper, but they call it a New professional taper. Then in my 1937-38 catalog it talks about the two piece Master Stroke cue also having a Professional taper.

Hope this helps

Here are some Pictures:

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
 
Last edited:
Somewhere I heard - maybe from Ray Schuler - that Herman Rambow originated the pro taper. And he was Mr. Brunswick Cue until he retired from Brunswick in 1950 (he continued making cues for Keefe & Hamer, a billiard supply house in Chicago, until his death in 1967).

But I know Schuler maintained that Rambow's pro taper still had a tiny bit of taper. It wasn't perfectly cylindrical.
 
Hello Chris, I just checked my catalogs and my 1949 Brunswick catalog also talks about the professional taper, but they call it a New professional taper. Then in my 1937-38 catalog it talks about the two piece Master Stroke cue also having a Professional taper.

Hope this helps

Here are some Pictures:

View attachment 128331

View attachment 128332

View attachment 128333

View attachment 128334

View attachment 128335

Craig,

Thanks for the info. So the term goes back to the 1930's and they changed it around 1949 I guess.

I was reading the 1939 Catalog and they called the bumper an "improved noise subduer" :rolleyes: LOL - every family man could use one of those...

Chris
 
Last edited:
Somewhere I heard - maybe from Ray Schuler - that Herman Rambow originated the pro taper. And he was Mr. Brunswick Cue until he retired from Brunswick in 1950 (he continued making cues for Keefe & Hamer, a billiard supply house in Chicago, until his death in 1967).

But I know Schuler maintained that Rambow's pro taper still had a tiny bit of taper. It wasn't perfectly cylindrical.

It makes sense Rich - thanks for the info.

Chris
 
Back
Top