To Matchroom Sport Charlie Williams brings the Mosconi Cup down

Is CW the right choice for captain of the USA Mosconi Cup?

• NO, please explain why in the thread

Votes: 92 92.0%
  • yes, please explain why in the thread

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters

Jesters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Matchroom Sport I have heard through the grapevine that CW will be the Mosconi Cup team captain again for the USA. This brings the event down from a fans point of view and it sure changes the atmosphere at the event. Hopefully this poll with show the distain the avid pool fan had for him and please re think.

Anyone who agrees that CW does not deserve the job, has not earned the job or is not qualified for the job please vote.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Matchroom Sport I have heard through the grapevine that CW will be the Mosconi Cup team captain again for the USA. This brings the event down from a fans point of view and it sure changes the atmosphere at the event. Hopefully this poll with show the distain the avid pool fan had for him and please re think.

Anyone who agrees that CW does not deserve the job, has not earned the job or is not qualified for the job please vote.

Did you vote ?

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if earl doesnt play on the mosconi cup, i nominate him to be the captain he has seen and done it all

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
well that's kind of obvious

cause they didn't exactly win last year now did they?

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CW as mosconi captain?

CW is not a good choice.

He is TOO devisive and always has that 'hidden agenda'.

I will throw out a name that I think would really make the team cohesive - because that is what you need.

You need someone who can get the players and the spectators emotionally involved. Someone who will motivate everyone toward a common goal.

MatchRoom needs to make a decision fairly soon.
I want them to have more options than Charlie willams and nick Varner.

My suggestion is TONY ROBLES.

Sure he is a nice guy - is he too nice? I don't think so. I think he brings a good work ethic, a great moral compass, the faith of the team members - and he's not carrying all the baggage that CW would bring.

And remember, all the controversy that would come with CW being captain, would have a negative affect on the whole team. The USA deserves the fair opportunity to win. Hopefully Matchroom will grant this chance.

Mark Griffin

PS - I don't even know if Robles is available or inclined to take on this responsibility.
If offered, my instincts are that Tony would jump at the opportunity and do a superb job!

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I will second Tony Robles. If he ever got mad then it must have been a very private moment with no witnesses. Tony is infectious with his positive attitude and fighting spirit.

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
I'd voted for Tony also. One of the most genuine person you will ever meet in and out of the pool world.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Charlie will not be the US Mosconi Cup captain this year. There never was a two year agreement.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I made an error and voted yes because I thought the title was the question. I think Tony Robles would be a good Captain, I also would like to see Earl as a Captain just to see what would happen.

Goldcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes to TONY ROBLES

CW is not a good choice.

Mark Griffin

P

I agree that TONY ROBLES would make an excellent choice. Great idea.
Earl would certainly generate fan interest, but Tony has all the qualities as a player and person that the position calls for.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not exactly sure what is the coach function is, i assume beside the admin stuff, is he in charge of making sure they sleep on time, eat right, exercise, or just strategy and who plays who.

How was Nick Varner as a coach, can he do it again?

John Archer (can he play and be a coach!)

Need American coach.

nplum24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No to Charlie!!! He was to busy last year trying to prove he was a good coach and not enough time coaching. Need someone who the the fans have faith in.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
CJ has been very engaged in pool recently....why not let him have a chance?

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree with Mark Griffin in both the reasons for not having CW as the captain and for choosing Tony Robles. Tony would be an outstanding choice IMHO.

CW is not a good choice.

He is TOO devisive and always has that 'hidden agenda'.

I will throw out a name that I think would really make the team cohesive - because that is what you need.

You need someone who can get the players and the spectators emotionally involved. Someone who will motivate everyone toward a common goal.

MatchRoom needs to make a decision fairly soon.
I want them to have more options than Charlie willams and nick Varner.

Sure he is a nice guy - is he too nice? I don't think so. I think he brings a good work ethic, a great moral compass, the faith of the team members - and he's not carrying all the baggage that CW would bring.

And remember, all the controversy that would come with CW being captain, would have a negative affect on the whole team. The USA deserves the fair opportunity to win. Hopefully Matchroom will grant this chance.

Mark Griffin

PS - I don't even know if Robles is available or inclined to take on this responsibility.
If offered, my instincts are that Tony would jump at the opportunity and do a superb job!