Tony Annigoni suicide

kannigoni

I’m Tony’s daughter in law I would like to say thank you to everyone for their kind words and offers of condolences. Tony was a larger than life character and will be missed by us who knew and loved him. As for any negativity we aren’t interested in any of that and it only speaks to the character of the person speaking negatively than it does of Tonys character. Again, we appreciate the kind words and fond memories shared.

Attachments

• 8812954C-6479-4447-A9E1-873D1139A14D.jpeg
    8812954C-6479-4447-A9E1-873D1139A14D.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 287

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I’m Tony’s daughter in law I would like to say thank you to everyone for their kind words and offers of condolences. Tony was a larger than life character and will be missed by us who knew and loved him. As for any negativity we aren’t interested in any of that and it only speaks to the character of the person speaking negatively than it does of Tonys character. Again, we appreciate the kind words and fond memories shared.
Tony definitely left an indelible imprint on the pool world and will be remembered here for many years.

Did Tony battle with depression? A lot of anxiety and depression going around these days, wondering if it had anything to do with Covid. Many of those who have suffered with Covid have also experienced sharp upturns in depression.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Tony definitely left an indelible imprint on the pool world and will be remembered here for many years.

Did Tony battle with depression? A lot of anxiety and depression going around these days, wondering if it had anything to do with Covid. Many of those who have suffered with Covid have also experienced sharp upturns in depression.

The tremendous increase in depression, alcoholism, domestic violence, and suicide is more of a result of the lockdowns, masks, isolation, business losses, and personal bankruptcies than actually contracting the virus. Just sayin'.

RIP Tony.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The tremendous increase in depression, alcoholism, and suicide is more of a result of the lockdowns, masks, isolation, business losses, and personal bankruptcies than actually contracting the virus. Just sayin'.

RIP Tony.
Yep...even this small town (13,000 population) has had suicides. One I knew personally...a biz owner financially ruined...a nice guy who found his life turned upside down.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The tremendous increase in depression, alcoholism, domestic violence, and suicide is more of a result of the lockdowns, masks, isolation, business losses, and personal bankruptcies than actually contracting the virus. Just sayin'.

RIP Tony.
Masks?

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very sad news. My thoughts to his family and friends. He was great to listen to, and his book was a really good read. RIP, Tony.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played him in the Summer of 1976 in San Mateo. I think he was part owner of the room at that time.

I often think to myself: I cannot imagine how painful living must be for those of us who are burdened with mental illness.
I want to add to this. My lone experience with Tony was when we were both 23 years old and it was ugly. I would never forget him and my experience. Periodically, over the years I would catch snippets in publications, online, and in conversations about Tony Annigoni and what he was up to. We all get older. Some of us grow and mature in a way that is valuable to others. Many stay focused on themselves. Let's just acknowledge the pursuit to be a great player is a self-centered enterprise.

Tony transitioned over the years in a way that very, very few players with his ability and potential have done. His interest in our sport, the business of our sport, and the people of our sport was sincere and dedicated and became more important than his own game. Tony gave of himself in many ways. Tony was intelligent and knowledgeable. This tragedy is our loss.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to add to this. My lone experience with Tony was when we were both 23 years old and it was ugly. I would never forget him and my experience. Periodically, over the years I would catch snippets in publications, online, and in conversations about Tony Annigoni and what he was up to. We all get older. Some of us grow and mature in a way that is valuable to others. Many stay focused on themselves. Let's just acknowledge the pursuit to be a great player is self-centered enterprise.

Tony transitioned over the years in a way that very, very few players with his ability and potential have done. His interest in our sport, the business of our sport, and the people of our sport was sincere and dedicated and became more important than his own game. Tony gave of himself in many ways. Tony was intelligent and knowledgeable. This tragedy is our loss.
What I'm reading into your post is, "Hey I don't like the guy and I have a really bad memory of him but, whatever, he's dead now so let's give him some credit for some things. Sounds to me like you pretty much got it right --- all you know about him are snippets of stuff you read about him online over the years.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I'm reading into your post is, "Hey I don't like the guy and I have a really bad memory of him but, whatever, he's dead now so let's give him some credit for some things. Sounds to me like you pretty much got it right --- all you know about him are snippets of stuff you read about him online over the years.
Almost right. I never knew him well enough to like or dislike him. I don’t hold grudges over what happens in a pool game. I have always admired his transition from player to ambassador and promoter. I will say it again. I say it sincerely. This is a tragic loss for our sport.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost right. I never knew him well enough to like or dislike him. I don’t hold grudges over what happens in a pool game. I have always admired his transition from player to ambassador and promoter. I will say it again. I say it sincerely. This is a tragic loss for our sport.
Yeah, well I disagree. You clearly had issues with Tony and felt it necessary to state that here after his death. Nice work there.