Top players lining up for draw then changing

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I have noticed with some pro players and top local guys is that when they are lining up they aim as if they are putting backspin on and then when they shoot they change to topspin.

I have seen Efren and earl do this (and others). Just curious if anyone here does the same and what the thought process is behind it.

I have always lined up and taken my practice strokes aiming at where I want to hit the cue ball.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think they do this to find center ball, where the ball touches the table. Not sure, only a guesstimate though.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its something I've seen a lot of players do, especially pino players.

It is much easier to find the centre of the cue ball with the tip aimed at the very bottom or top of the cue ball. That is my guess. They do it to find centre and then change the cues entry into the white on the final stroke.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I don't know about you be do you find it easier to make balls with draw? Its easier, for me at least to see the line of the shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing I have noticed with some pro players and top local guys is that when they are lining up they aim as if they are putting backspin on and then when they shoot they change to topspin.

I have seen Efren and earl do this (and others). Just curious if anyone here does the same and what the thought process is behind it.

I have always lined up and taken my practice strokes aiming at where I want to hit the cue ball.
The best explanation I've heard is that it allows them to find the center of the cue ball more accurately. If you place the tip at the bottom of the cue ball and look carefully, you can see the reflection of the cue stick in the cue ball. It should be pointing straight back at you.

For lots of info and opinions about stroke best practices, see Dr. Dave's compilation: http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/stroke.html

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know about you be do you find it easier to make balls with draw? Its easier, for me at least to see the line of the shot.
But the players noted aren't playing the shot with draw, necessarily. They address the cue ball at the very bottom or even below that and then hit the cue ball anywhere including with follow.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a player in our league here (one of the top 2 players of that night) who aims his cue at the very top of the cue ball, all his practice strokes look like he is going to miscue off the top of the ball, and then viola, he hits it wherever he plans on striking the cue ball. I assume he does it to find center ball or to use his cue to aim at the object ball.

Also I think I remember reading in the SVB interview he did when he went to Russia late last year, that he likes to aim low because he can see the cue ball better which helps his aiming. Could be misremembering though.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, a lot of players do this... Busty puts his tip right on the table, then moves up for the shot. Efren is not as pronounced, but he does that as well... I've watched him line up very low center, then hit a center ball with left english.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fastone371 is absolutely correct here. It's called 'grounding your cue', and it's the only way we can find the vertical axis...where the bottom of the CB touches the cloth. Almost all pro players do this, and then adjust to where they want to strike the CB. Good catch Bob! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think they do this to find center ball, where the ball touches the table. Not sure, only a guesstimate though.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pidge...It's much more difficult to find the vertical axis on the top of the ball because you're "looking" at air. Grounding your cue gives a better perspective, because, as Bob said, you can see a reflection of the tip, and you also have the surface of the table as a reference point. Cheers! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Its something I've seen a lot of players do, especially pino players.

It is much easier to find the centre of the cue ball with the tip aimed at the very bottom or top of the cue ball. That is my guess. They do it to find centre and then change the cues entry into the white on the final stroke.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane Van Boening's favorite player is Francisco Bustamante and he just copied his style of addressing the cue ball low.

He says so in this video at the 11:30 mark:
https://vimeo.com/35382368

It seems like it's more suited to players who have a pendulum stroke. Players who play with a piston stroke probably benefit more with addressing the cue ball exactly where they want to it strike it.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
What Bob, Scott and other posters say.

May I add that it helps create an objective visual, though some would argue ad-nauseam against it.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
But the players noted aren't playing the shot with draw, necessarily. They address the cue ball at the very bottom or even below that and then hit the cue ball anywhere including with follow.

Sorry I should he been more clear. Its easier for me to make a shot with draw because of the alignment.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pidge...It's much more difficult to find the vertical axis on the top of the ball because you're "looking" at air. Grounding your cue gives a better perspective, because, as Bob said, you can see a reflection of the tip, and you also have the surface of the table as a reference point. Cheers! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Maybe I'm not the norm, but I find it easier using the top of the ball. Finding the highest point on the cue ball and aiming the top of my tip at it just seems easier. Even when I'm aimed through centre ball I always flick my eyes to the top of the cue ball to make sure I'm centred.

I never knew about the reflection through. That's an excellent tip.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

What you do is best practice!
But hey, with names you've mentioned above, then it obviously suits them.
I don't think any creditable instructor would teach to do other than what you are already doing...
:thumbup:

crile1

Registered
They do it to align up with shot line ! You can see more of it, it's like playing connect the dots ! It also helps with back hand english !

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bustamante was asked about it in an interview. His explanation was that is how he did it when he started playing, simple as that.

Probably does help find the center of the cue ball.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Actually, Shane doesn't do it all the time, but he used to...when asked a few years back why he did it, he said he saw the Filipinos do it and he simply thought it "looked cool". :grin-square: I agree with the others, it helps you find absolute center CB. You can also compare the bottoms of both the CB and OB and help you see the angle to the target pocket easier with objective reference points that draw a discernible line. Busty aims low left on his PSR to keep the stick out of the line of sight, seeing the CB better, then swoops up to address the CB on his final stroke. He's not the only one, I've seen a few others do it, too.

As far as stroking at the top of the CB (Pidge notwithstanding, since he told us why he does it), I've seen some guys who prefer ferule aiming do this to align their ferule edge or center to the contact point, then drop the tip down to address the CB.

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm not the norm, but I find it easier using the top of the ball. Finding the highest point on the cue ball and aiming the top of my tip at it just seems easier.

I am with you Pidge. I seem to find the center easier from the top and never even thought of trying it from the bottom.

I am going to have to give this a shot and see how it goes.