Tor Lowry Interviews Mark Wilson

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Tor Lowry was in St. Louis filming an episode of his 14 Day Experiment series, he stopped by Lindenwood to interview his old friend Mark Wilson. Mark discusses the Mosconi Cup, the current state of pool in America, his passion to change it, and his plan to do so. He also talks about the trials and tribulations involved in writing what Tor (and numerous others) considers to be the best pool book ever written.

This is really a must watch interview. What Mark is doing - and why- is explained in great detail, and it should leave no doubt in your mind that he is on the only possible track at this point if the game is to flourish in this country again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYZ_NVpeXc

I am now a big fan of Mark Wilson as a result of what he revealed in the interview. Good luck to him and his team.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Thanks for the link Pockets. I have always had respect for Tor and now Mark as well.

I like how he relates his feelings. I was only able to watch a bit for now but will pick it up later.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always had respect for Tor and now Mark as well. I like how he relates his feelings. I was only able to watch a bit for now but will pick it up later.

After watching this *video of Mark, I totally respect this gentleman
and wish him success in his endeavor.
What I mean by success is not that Team U.S.A necessarily win the MC,
BUT that he is able to have his team try their best, act professional,
and be humble in loss or defeat. The man is truly a role model for our sport.

*Most notable about this interview is how he handles the question at 5:09. He is quite humble and understanding.
Go Team U.S.A!!!!!

liakos

Banned
I've had an appreciation for Mark before, but after watching this,,,, the man truly is a very great man! He deserves to be the captain! I wish him only great rolls! Thanks for the link:)

sjm

Sweating it at Derby City
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing.

Great interview. Mark is a great credit to our sport and one of its greatest ambassadors.

Perhaps the most interesting moment in the interview was when Mark spoke of how upset Matchroom was when the 2013 event lost a full day of programming because of how lopsided the result was. It cost me money, too, since I had to pay the change fee when I moved my flight home from Las Vegas forward by a day, LOL.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played against Mark Wilson years ago...I mean many years ago.

Mark was always good for the sport.

When playing Mark you never had to worry about getting sharked in any way shape or form.

His form was always so good and now after hearing the interview with Tor I can see his thinking is pretty good also.

There is no blue print for the way this Mosconi thing should be handled but it sounds like Mark has a good plan. He's been there and knows what to expect and it sounds like anyone that doesn't want to go along with it can be replaced real quick.

And a Special thanks to Tor for doing this interview and allowing us to hear Mark Wilsons thoughts on this great event and how he plans to attack the preparation.

Good luck there Mr Mark. They did get the best guy for this job.

Your setup at the University and all your doing there is unbelievable and hopefully will set a precedent for the future.

You were always a Champion Player from what I saw here in Wisconsin but also a Champion Person.

My Special thanks for all your doing for the game we all love and play.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video. Realizing that the problem was Matchroom all along. Not anything they did wrong. Just what they didn't do right. Mark was right....the way they picked players in the past wasn't working. Picking one at a time, team captain literally picked just a couple of weeks ahead of the Cup, etc. And he mentioned some picks were made on "marketability". Just another way of saying picked by politics. At least the captain has some time to make a cohesive unit out of them....unlike in the past. Looking forward to December more then ever!

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting that, as it was a very interesting interview.

I think our Mosconi Cup team is in good hands.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part I like what Mark is doing. I relate to his style as a Jiu-jitsu lifestyle. The art is studied but philosophies and concepts and ways of living are also taught. Family, loyalty, & balance are principles that have been handed down from the Gracies and are still taught in Jiu-jitsu academies all across the world. Good clean living and hard work is stressed as much or more than winning. You are taught to build your training partner so they can build you.

Pool up to this point is more like boxing. If your not tough you won't make it in most boxing gyms. It's up to you to put in the work and learn the lessons and when a trainer sees that you have that drive then he'll work with you if you are lucky. When sparring you are thrown in with the wolves and there is no lessons taught when you get your ass kicked. It's as if the trainers want to see how tough you are as opposed to building your confidence. Where this is like pool is in boxing there is kind of a every man for himself attitude. Look out for number 1 and your friends are also the same guys you are competing with so there is always a vibe going on. Basically the boxers are not bad people at all they just react a certain way in a certain environment.

What happens to boxers when they study Jiu-jitsu for mma? You put these same guys in another environment and most times they adapt. The Floyd Maywether arrogance converts to a Murillo Bustamante humbleness. The ego is taught to be let go and they experience guys telling them what they did wrong, working with them, and there whole attitude changes.

My point is this. I like what Mark is doing as far as building a team and teamwork and stressing the importance of good personal qualities. What I don't like is that he never even gave some of our best the chance to show him how they perform in the environment he is requiring. Johnny Archer, Mike Dechaine they would have been great in his environment imo. And if not then don't let them make the cut but I think they and others should have been given the chance.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part I like what Mark is doing. I relate to his style as a Jiu-jitsu lifestyle. The art is studied but philosophies and concepts and ways of living are also taught. Family, loyalty, & balance are principles that have been handed down from the Gracies and are still taught in Jiu-jitsu academies all across the world. Good clean living and hard work is stressed as much or more than winning.

Pool up to this point is more like boxing. If your not tough you won't make it in most boxing gyms. It's up to you to put in the work and learn the lessons and when a trainer sees that you have that drive then he'll work with you if you are lucky. When sparring you are thrown in with the wolves and there is no lessons taught when you get your assistance kicked. It's as if the trainers want to see how tough you are as opposed to building your confidence. Where this is like pool is in boxing there is kind of a every man for himself attitude. Look out for number 1 and your friends are also the same guys you are competing with so there is always a vibe going on. Basically the boxers are not bad people at all they just react a certain way in a certain environment.

What happens to boxers when they study Jiu-jitsu for mma? You put these same guys in another environment and most times they adapt. The Floyd Maywether arrogance converts to a Marillo Bustamante humbleness. The ego is taught to be let go and they experience guys telling them what they did wrong, working with them.

My point is this. I like what Mark is doing as far as building a team and teamwork and stressing the importance of good personal qualities. What I don't like is that he never even gave some of our best the chance to show him how they perform in the environment he is requiring. Johnny Archer, Mike Dechaine they would have been great in his environment imo. And if not then don't let them make the cut but I think they and others should have been given the chance.

The only benefit to this is we'd only have to hear 2 months of complaining from the folks here.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Excellent interview. I feel as if Matchroom definitely made the right choice in having Mark captain the team. I feel that we (USA) are moving in the right direction. Whether we win or lose this year, I think it will be a success either way now that we are headed in the right direction. His criteria for players for team USA is what we need. Integrity and Respect being key characteristics for being considered.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally had the time and sat down to watch the interview - and I am in awe at how mark Wilson is taking on his role as Captain...

THIS is a huge time for pocket billiards in the United States, this mosconi cup with the year of build up may be the "new movie" that the pool world has waited to super charge the scene.

How exciting to hear this interview and a billiards coach talk about game prep, training, media handling, etc, as if he were in another professional sport. Mark Wilson, did this entire interview from memory, siting training drills, tour schedules, etc, like a Bill bellichick, Coach K, or Pat Riley. Very professional and extremely knowledgeable.

1. his description of his first interview with the players - sports psychology 101. genius

2. his plan to bring the team into a media spotlight- the west, central, and east coast tours.

3. his analysis of the game - and reviewing tape. example of the ralf souquet vs biado 10 ball match at derby city, and how he makes the team watch it to teach a point of discipline. This is how real professional sports teams are treated.

4. "how can we ask someone to pay to watch a game, if the players dont respect the game themselves?" finally going at the American professional pool scene head on.

Must watch interview - thanks for posting!
This is the stuff movies are made of - huge powerful european team, under dog "cinderella man" USA team, a captain who takes over with a my way or the high way vision. ESPN contacts, for highlights and possible documentary outlets.

I see something big happening.