Trans debate arrives into Pro woman’s Billiards

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

and then there is the girl checkers
chess prodigy whose daughter is
a chess player and some of her experience
Thanks for the link and the article it was a good read.
Obviously there are many reasons why women do not perform as well as men in chess.

In Soviet Union, chess was popular among girls, youth teams would typically have a girl. Lots of role models.
Chess was huge in Soviet Union and they spent a lot of time thinking of ways to get the most out of players.

One of the reasons why it was believed girls were not as good as boys was genetics.
In particular, women get distracted easier because they have to tend to babies, so they are more likely to be distracted by noise.
Thus their concentration is more likely to be divided and/or broken. That is just one of theories not mentioned in your article.

tomatoshooter

I read somewhere that men are more likely than women to be outliers in intelligence, both high and low. If that's true, it wouldn't surprise me if more women are closer to the average in other abilities, too. Considering all pro athletes are outliers, it seems reasonable that men comprise a deeper field of talent than women. I think a larger part of the difference is that women do not tend to be as competitive as men. I don't know if that's innate or if it's that they aren't encouraged to be as competitive.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I read somewhere that men are more likely than women to be outliers in intelligence, both high and low. If that's true, it wouldn't surprise me if more women are closer to the average in other abilities, too. Considering all pro athletes are outliers, it seems reasonable that men comprise a deeper field of talent than women. I think a larger part of the difference is that women do not tend to be as competitive as men. I don't know if that's innate or if it's that they aren't encouraged to be as competitive.
Innate. Hardwired into our DNA.

phreaticus

and then there is the girl checkers
chess prodigy whose daughter is
a chess player and some of her experience
Super interesting, thx for sharing those.

The chess article in particular seems to have nearly identical parallels for pool. If all that is accurate, it would seem to primarily come down to basic testosterone related issues driving more aggression/competitive tendencies at early ages which then cascade out to a variety of issues related to less females in the sport, thus less female coaches/mentors, travel/practice related logistical challenges, less incentives etc.

All makes intuitive sense. Coupled with the well known cultural/historical issues that kept women out of billiards for so long, it really doesn’t seem to be much of a mystery after all.

After googling around a bit, I see several articles and discussions on all this, even good old Dr. Dave has opined on it. All generally aligned with the above conclusions.

✌️

xX-Wizard-Xx

The Trans shit is stupid ... you cant change biology .... even if you get a surgery ... you are still either a a male or a female...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Old news, a decade ago we had a trans in the sport.
His name was Rea, probably still a member, but haven't seen a post in a while.
Ole Gene thought he done saddled up with a lady that wanted to learn how to play pool :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
And even that was old news, as a couple decades earlier we had Annie Mayes of Annie O Cues as a former WPBA member.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, I like your avatar. I have an 8 yr blue weim that looks just like yours!

Regarding the author of the article I posted, it was clear that he’s not onboard with the mainstream trans agenda, and I probably could of looked for a more neutral source of the news to avoid this type of reaction. It seems like a uniquely complex issue in pool, as the gender related performance differences in this game have always been a bit of a mysterious issue…

But I also think its a huge error to label someone that has strong opinions on the issue as transphobic. Just like its a massive error to label all folks that may not support BLM type stuff as racist. Likewise its equally not helpful to label everyone who opposes the recent SCOTUS federal law change on abortion as woke-tard baby-killers. Not everyone that simply disagrees falls into the category of transphobic or racists, etc - there are many cultural & value issues involved in these topics and immediate denigration of other’s views does nothing to get us back to sane society. Free speech means we have to all be willing to be offended & tolerate various things we each consider to be BS from others without getting offended or silencing them.

Finally, I’m a bit curious on the pond comment. I’m pretty well traveled in EU & Asia, and as far as I can tell these issues are dividing those cultures also, with plenty of vocal proponents on both sides, same as we have here.

I make it a point to not get sucked into NPR & political type discussions & have tried to not interject any of my own personal views into the trans aspects of this discussion, as I don’t think any of us are going to change anyone’s mind via an Internet forum. But this one seemed interesting as it does directly relate to the game we all love, which is hopefully the common bond we all have here on AZB & the primary reason for being here. So far the thread has been remarkably civil on a quite thorny topic - that seems like some positive progress.

Cheers
I'm a bit curious about a few of your comments...

-What exactly is the "mainstream trans agenda"? Sounds like some kind of an evil plot, but maybe you just misspoke.

-Is it really up for white people to decide "what's racist"? I mean, I could think that I'm not racist, but I'm also a middle class white dude who hasn't had some of the life experiences of black people.

-If someone wants to "label me" as a woke-tard baby killer for supporting abortion, I'm probably not going to value their opinion anyway because they're so entrenched in their opinion that it's not worth discussing (also known as tribalism).

-A lot of people get the "free speech" argument wrong. Free speech means that our govt lets you spout whatever crazy you want to without reprisal (within limits). It doesn't mean that a private citizen has to sit there and take it with a smile on your face.

The pond comment wasn't a statement on geopolitical societal values. The article came from a British magazine. Britain is "across the pond" from the US. We have people making uninformed judgments about transgenders in sports in the US also. They are usually in states with Republican-controlled legislatures.

Here's my problem with opinions...most of them are stupid. However, I do respect everyone's right to their own. I'm just saying that an opinion sounds a little better if there's something factual backing it up. And if you think that this thread has been civil, maybe NPR isn't such a crazy option for you?

xX-Wizard-Xx

-What exactly is the "mainstream trans agenda"? Sounds like some kind of an evil plot, but maybe you just misspoke.

-Is it really up for white people to decide "what's racist"? I mean, I could think that I'm not racist, but I'm also a middle class white dude who hasn't had some of the life experiences of black people.

-If someone wants to "label me" as a woke-tard baby killer for supporting abortion, I'm probably not going to value their opinion anyway because they're so entrenched in their opinion that it's not worth discussing (also known as tribalism).

-A lot of people get the "free speech" argument wrong. Free speech means that our govt lets you spout whatever crazy you want to without reprisal (within limits). It doesn't mean that a private citizen has to sit there and take it with a smile on your face.

The pond comment wasn't a statement on geopolitical societal values. The article came from a British magazine. Britain is "across the pond" from the US. We have people making uninformed judgments about transgenders in sports in the US also. They are usually in states with Republican-controlled legislatures.

Here's my problem with opinions...most of them are stupid. However, I do respect everyone's right to their own. I'm just saying that an opinion sounds a little better if there's something factual backing it up. And if you think that this thread has been civil, maybe NPR isn't such a crazy option for you?

phreaticus

Thx for your thoughts. No desire to get into any of that stuff. Cheers

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old news in Houston. Look up the pool player and cue maker Anne Mayes on this site or the Internet.
Yes, aka Ann the Man. If transgenders want to be treated like everybody else then they should be able to take a little ribbing. Nice person, though.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, aka Ann the Man. If transgenders want to be treated like everybody else then they should be able to take a little ribbing. Nice person, though.
They all seem to take more than their fair share of "ribbing". I don't see humans born men competing vs. humans born women, as fair. I also know less than 💩 about the subject, so there's that.