Try this on the break, it might open your eyes..

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this on the break, Very Interesting

I'm sure someone, someplace has brought this up before. But maybe not?

I noticed when I break the balls that I didn't really see the cue ball hit the head ball real well. It was like I was gazing at it instead of looking at it.

Finally I noticed that as I stroked with power on the break my head was drifting to the left kind of making my right eye see the shot more than the left.

I'm left eye dominant.

This kind of explained why it kind of felt like a gaze instead of flat out seeing the head ball when I broke.

Bottom line I was trying to figure out why I was having so much difficulty hitting the head ball squarely?

I'm opposite eye dominant so I wanted to find out if this was just a problem with opposite eyed players. I had 10 opposite eye dominant players players try this and the results were all the same pretty much. They all drifted to the left if they were right handed and to the right if they were left handed during the break stroke.

Then I thought maybe all players drift like this so I had Joey A try it at Four Bears when we were there. He is right eye dominant and right handed.

Low and behold his head drifted about 6 to 8" while stroking the break.

After I got back to the business of teaching I kept experimenting with this thought on every student I taught. It turned out pretty much everyone drifted over during the break stroke. Not just the opposite eye dominant players.

Not only did I find that this was a consistent problem with almost everyone but it was also a problem when we want to hit a ball with a real strong stroke. The head drifts to the right if you are left handed during the stroke and the head drifts to the left if you are right handed.

This seems to be a natural kind of motion when the arm comes forward on that side of the body.

I did have a few players that kept their heads dead solid and didn't drift at all but at the sacrifice of power in the stroke. They did hit the head ball more squarely consistently though.

Get a friend to watch you break the balls. Give it a good wallop and have them see if your head drifts like this also. You might be surprised. Even just an inch or 2 can take your eyes out of the picture.

The solution to the problem seems to be going straight forward as you break to keep from drifting to the side. This seems to help the player use power and still hit the head ball straight on.

On the break we are aiming the shot. It makes sense that if you are not seeing the shot through the stroke there is going to be an accuracy problem.

One thing I do when I'm trying to figure something out is I try it myself and with many other players. Fortunately I have the benefit of working with a lot of players in a short period of time.

I'm interested in players input after they try this with a friend watching.

Then their input when they try to keep straight going forward a little instead of to the side.

I think this is going to be kind of interesting.

Some of the best breakers in the business appear to go straight forward with no drift to the side.

It takes a little bit of coordination and effort. So don't give up after the first try.

Good luck Geno........Please post your results.........

Hopefully you'll find that you will actually start seeing the cue ball hit the head ball. This means that the dominant eye was still in the correct position.
 
Last edited:
Gene:

I just checked some video...my head goes straight forward, dead in line with the stick/cue ball's path; no sideways movement at all. I usually have no problems hitting the contact point, either, good acceleration, good results. My only problem is hopping the cue ball a little more than I'd like, I know what causes that and have pretty much fixed that, too.

I've shot pistols and small bore rifle competitively for years, too...I shoot pistol and M4 carbine on combat courses with both eyes open, always have. I'm right handed and right eye dominant, but only just barely. My chin is just barely to the left of the cue; the cue slides along the right side of the bottom of my chin, below my right nostril. Works great.
 
Your pistol shooting might help.

Gene:

I just checked some video...my head goes straight forward, dead in line with the stick/cue ball's path; no sideways movement at all. I usually have no problems hitting the contact point, either, good acceleration, good results. My only problem is hopping the cue ball a little more than I'd like, I know what causes that and have pretty much fixed that, too.

I've shot pistols and small bore rifle competitively for years, too...I shoot pistol and M4 carbine on combat courses with both eyes open, always have. I'm right handed and right eye dominant, but only just barely. My chin is just barely to the left of the cue; the cue slides along the right side of the bottom of my chin, below my right nostril. Works great.

You know the importance of keeping the head and eyes totally still from shooting the guns.

This is why many instructor try to teach us to keep the head still.

Some refer to it as quiet eyes.
 
You know the importance of keeping the head and eyes totally still from shooting the guns.

This is why many instructor try to teach us to keep the head still.

Some refer to it as quiet eyes.

I thought quiet eyes was when you kept the eyes still as in looking at one spot for a few seconds. You can have a still head but the eyes can still be darting all over the place.
 
On the same token if...........

I thought quiet eyes was when you kept the eyes still as in looking at one spot for a few seconds. You can have a still head but the eyes can still be darting all over the place.

If the head moves the eyes can't be very quiet.

Moving up seems to be ok. To the side even an inch seems to make a big difference.

It's really hard to tell if you drift to the side unless you have someone looking from right in front of you when you break.

Please try this everyone before commenting with a friend.

Thanks again geno.........Just trying to get this right with the help of many AZers......
 
This thread contains the kind of info I signed up here to read.
Thanks to all...:)
 
That's exactly what it is. Focused gaze on the two aim points, as opposed to quick glances back and forth, between CB & OB. It makes a HUGE difference in not shooting before you're absolutely sure you're ready...and it works with all players, from beginners to pros!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I thought quiet eyes was when you kept the eyes still as in looking at one spot for a few seconds. You can have a still head but the eyes can still be darting all over the place.
 
Geno!!!! You already have the tool to fix this....

The drill You told me about using a cue and the door jamb works getting down And raising up.....

As long as you are raising up on plane and not moving side to side you won't lose your orientation....... Most people have to raise up on the break to generate power by lengthening the lever of the arm.... Nothing wrong at all with the technique as long as you get rid of the side movement you have noticed happening to lots of players including yourself =) :thumbup:

You already had the answer you just hadn't arrived at it's destination
 
Your right Chris.......

Geno!!!! You already have the tool to fix this....

The drill You told me about using a cue and the door jamb works getting down And raising up.....

As long as you are raising up on plane and not moving side to side you won't lose your orientation....... Most people have to raise up on the break to generate power by lengthening the lever of the arm.... Nothing wrong at all with the technique as long as you get rid of the side movement you have noticed happening to lots of players including yourself =) :thumbup:

You already had the answer you just hadn't arrived at it's destination

I had never incorperated it into my break. I didn't realize why I was having trouble seeing the cue ball hit the head ball.

Now I need to find a common ground and come straight forward if I do.

Neil was right. At least 95% of the players have issues with this.

Thanks guys. geno...........
 
Kinda feel like the line in red was mainly meant for my comment earlier, Gene. However, I was being serious. What you say does have merit for probably 95%+ of the people. But, seriously, I don't move my head when I break. I use a pendulum stroke on the break too. No need to have ones body flying around on the break. It doesn't do anything but throw the stroke off course.

I can get plenty of power for the break just from the elbow down. Played for an hour tonight, and was making 1-3 balls on the break on a Diamond 9' most of my breaks. In my opinion, those trying to see how hard they can smack the rack are only hurting themselves. Less control, and the balls tend to tie up more often. I'm not soft breaking, just not seeing how hard I can hit them. (and for those that are wondering, it was with a wooden rack.;))

Neil,

Post some data breaking 8 ball for the head ball on a slow 9' table with crappy balls. I find that a good solid pop on the headball at about 23-25 mph is very effective (hell on any 9' table it seems to work great). I make balls, spread everything all over the table, and actually do NOT have too many clusters. Also, if I'm stopping the cue ball in the center of the table...what is the down side? I can also break without moving my head at all. I do this breaking 9 ball on a bar box. Or sometimes 8 ball on a bar box. Under perfect conditions, 9 ball on a 9' works ok too. I get excellent cueball control. I am generally hitting the break 18-20 mph. However, I simply can't get the same action out of the rack as when I really stroke the break like I do when I move my body.

Now I may be replying to a point you didn't make. I am NOT trying to see how hard I can hit the rack. However, the speed that works well under the conditions I described above is simply not available to me with a still head.

YMMV

KMRUNOUT
 
Many things in pool are simple......

I tried this today, it works pretty good. A lot better than I expected for such a simple fix.

Once you learn or figure it out.

Sometimes a player can learn something in an hour or 2 from a good instructor that might take a lifetime to figure out by themselves.

Like the blind man once said; I can't see what I'm missing.?????
 
Back
Top