Turning Stone Classic XXIX Updates - 2018

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going into Sunday....matches starting at 11 AM...

Winners Side:

B.Thorpe vs B. Spahiu

J Cicero vs Z. Zvi

One loss side:

J. Shaw vs D. Hewitt

M. Immonen vs D. Hatch

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Did cicero just run a 5 pack to close out that match??

Nah, it went like this after Cicero trailed 2-5.

Game 8. Shaw made the 1-ball and another on the break and played safe on the 2-ball. Cicero played a poor safe on the 2-ball but Shaw missed the ensuing shot. Cicero hit some kind of slam shot, slopped in the 2-ball, and ran out. [3-5]

Game 9. B&R [4-5]

Game 10. B&R [5-5]

Game 11. Made a ball and played a beauty of a safe on the 1-ball. Shaw fouled intentionally, trying to tie-up a couple balls but failed. Cicero ran out. [6-5]

Game 12. B&R [7-5]

Game 13. Made a ball and played safe on the 1-ball. Jayson kicked and hit it. Cicero ran out. [8-5]

Game 14. B&R [9-5]

So Cicero had 4 B&R's in the last 6 games (and one earlier in the match), but only 2 in a row. Shaw had none.

Then an hour later Shaw had 6 B&R's on 9 breaks, including a 4-pack, to clobber Wilkie.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going into Sunday....matches starting at 11 AM...

Winners Side:

B.Thorpe vs B. Spahiu

J Cicero vs Z. Zvi

One loss side:

J. Shaw vs D. Hewitt

M. Immonen vs D. Hatch

I don't recall ever seeing Besar Spahiu of Albania play, so I hope he is on tomorrow.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall ever seeing Besar Spahiu of Albania play, so I hope he is on tomorrow.

First Time I've ever heard his name.
To waltz into Sunday on your first turning stone is impressive...is he a Kaci type player or just a product of a very good draw?

I guess we will see at 11.

Thanks for the clarification on the B & R's during the Shaw/Cicero match.
I like that stat better (4 B&Rs out of 6 racks) than just trying to figure out what # pack was dropped.

Either way, it looked like Jayson had the fire lit from that loss with what he did to Wilkie

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not one to disagree w atlarge but I watched the match n Cicero’s brn included at least one 3-9 combo a 2-9 combo that he hooked himself on causing him to kick at it and it went so it wasn’t like the guy played flawless pool I mean he got the job done and it was awesome but he 100% got multiple rolls in the first few racks of his comeback and had all the momentum. Either way it was impressive to see him do this against Shaw especially considering he used Shaw’s one n only mistake. Shaw must be kicking himself I assume he took Cicero lightly n after that mistake didn’t think he would lose because of it but it goes to show you with this format most of the top guys can win against anyone at any given time

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know they faced each other before twice at ts. I spoke with joey after the first one asked him how it was (he lost by a lot), he told me Shaw broke and ran seven. Their last match finished 9-8 for Shaw. Good rivalry brewing, might see them again in the final

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Nah, it went like this after Cicero trailed 2-5.

Game 8. Shaw made the 1-ball and another on the break and played safe on the 2-ball. Cicero played a poor safe on the 2-ball but Shaw missed the ensuing shot. Cicero hit some kind of slam shot, slopped in the 2-ball, and ran out. [3-5]

Game 9. B&R [4-5]

Game 10. B&R [5-5]

Game 11. Made a ball and played a beauty of a safe on the 1-ball. Shaw fouled intentionally, trying to tie-up a couple balls but failed. Cicero ran out. [6-5]

Game 12. B&R [7-5]

Game 13. Made a ball and played safe on the 1-ball. Jayson kicked and hit it. Cicero ran out. [8-5]

Game 14. B&R [9-5]

So Cicero had 4 B&R's in the last 6 games (and one earlier in the match), but only 2 in a row. Shaw had none.

Then an hour later Shaw had 6 B&R's on 9 breaks, including a 4-pack, to clobber Wilkie.

Cicero made a great combo 9 in the side, in one of those games !

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m not one to disagree w atlarge but I watched the match n Cicero’s brn included at least one 3-9 combo a 2-9 combo that he hooked himself on causing him to kick at it and it went so it wasn’t like the guy played flawless pool I mean he got the job done and it was awesome but he 100% got multiple rolls in the first few racks of his comeback and had all the momentum. Either way it was impressive to see him do this against Shaw especially considering he used Shaw’s one n only mistake. Shaw must be kicking himself I assume he took Cicero lightly n after that mistake didn’t think he would lose because of it but it goes to show you with this format most of the top guys can win against anyone at any given time

You are correct that two of Cicero's B&R's were short racks.

Game 9. He made the 3-ball on the break, then made the 1-ball. He then kicked off the foot rail to hit the 2-ball, but it was clear that it would combo the 9-ball. And the 9 went straight in the side pocket. The commentators had mentioned that possibility.

Game 10. He made a ball on the break followed by the 1, the 2, and the 3/9 combo.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was good to hear Danny DiLiberto on commentary. I knew he was a boxer but didn't know Angelo Dundee was his trainer until yesterday.

Thanks to Upstate Al for the stream.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It was good to hear Danny DiLiberto on commentary. I knew he was a boxer but didn't know Angelo Dundee was his trainer until yesterday.

Danny had an admirable boxing record...he’s in the Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame.
Angelo said he was very unfortunate...he hit like a heavy weight...
...and started breaking his little finger on his right hand...so he had to quit.
...Sugar Ray Robinson admired Danny’s right hand

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
You are correct that two of Cicero's B&R's were short racks.

Game 9. He made the 3-ball on the break, then made the 1-ball. He then kicked off the foot rail to hit the 2-ball, but it was clear that it would combo the 9-ball. And the 9 went straight in the side pocket. The commentators had mentioned that possibility.

Game 10. He made a ball on the break followed by the 1, the 2, and the 3/9 combo.

The 9 was wired for the upper corner pocket. He missed the kick on the 2, instead, he made the 9 in the side. Ciscero did not fold, but most all his outs and shots and safes after being down 5-2 completed swung his way, after Shaw missed and hung I think it was the two ball, ''it was like a nightmare'' that I've seen many times.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw ran over Hewitt in 40 minutes 9 to 2.

I just don't see Shaw losing again.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

He had the quote of the tournament at Kid D's expense.
And I love the Kid!
Anybody catch it?
If there truly is a no soft break policy. Zuglan needs to talk to Cisero!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 9 was wired for the upper corner pocket. He missed the kick on the 2, instead, he made the 9 in the side. Ciscero did not fold, but most all his outs and shots and safes after being down 5-2 completed swung his way, after Shaw missed and hung I think it was the two ball, ''it was like a nightmare'' that I've seen many times.

As I said, it was clear that he was going to combo the 9 with the 2 off the kick. The possibilities were that the 9 could go in the far corner, in the side, or neither. It went straight in the side.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I love Danny D and I was glad to hear his commentary, but he came out with a world class howler when he said that Jackie Gleason's "movie name" was James Gleason.

James Gleason was an iconic character actor who was about 35 years older than The Fat Man, as skinny as a beanpole, and who appeared in well over 100 movies in Hollywood's Golden Age. Danny D might as well have said that Meg Ryan's "movie name" was Robert Ryan.