Tyler Styer on Team USA

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This just in from Matchroom:

Tyler Styer will return to Team USA for the 2021 Mosconi Cup, at Alexandra Palace, London, December 7-10.

Styer makes the USA Mosconi Cup team for a third year having been on the winning side in both 2018 during his rookie campaign and 2019 in Las Vegas. The Wisconsin native becomes Jeremy Jones' fourth American pick joining Earl Strickland, Skyler Woodward, and vice-captain Shane Van Boening with one further player set to be announced this Friday. ....

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Slightly surprising choice here. Chris Robinson/Reinhold, the only American that exceeded expectations at the 2020 Mosconi Cup, showed far better form than Tyler at the International 9-ball, including beating Tyler Styer to eliminate him. Chris also played Fedor Gorst super-tough, narrowly missing a Stage 2 berth.

Nonetheless, Tyler is a fine player and congratulations to him on his selection. Wishing him good luck in December.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Thanks for the heads up. I'm ok with it.

Chris to be announced Friday? My guess, anyway.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Slightly surprising choice here. Chris Robinson/Reinhold, the only American that exceeded expectations at the 2020 Mosconi Cup, showed far better form than Tyler at the International 9-ball, including beating Tyler Styer to eliminate him. Chris also played Fedor Gorst super-tough, narrowly missing a Stage 2 berth.

Nonetheless, Tyler is a fine player and congratulations to him on his selection. Wishing him good luck in December.
That's well over a yr ago and being young, his game could of gone up a ball since then.
I was surprised with Earl, but I think I remember em whitewashing a player in the pit at the US Open.
With this MCup Formant Earl is tough for anyone to beat.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

I wonder how much it has to do with Tyler’s activity. I noticed that he has played in every single WPA sanctioned event on their ranking list. And he did have that final berth in the Austria Open. I’m not sure any American pro is as dedicated to being a pro pool player as Tyler is right now. So his activity and recent experience with international competition perhaps may have played a role in the selection.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I wonder how much it has to do with Tyler’s activity. I noticed that he has played in every single WPA sanctioned event on their ranking list. And he did have that final berth in the Austria Open. I’m not sure any American pro is as dedicated to being a pro pool player as Tyler is right now. So his activity and recent experience with international competition perhaps may have played a role in the selection.

I'm sure his positive efforts to promote pool with Fefilova also did not go unnoticed by Matchroom's marketing people.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plus he looks like Opie on Andy Griffith. He'll be the polar-opposite of psycho Earl. ;)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he has played in two cups and been on the winning team both years, if that counts for anything. his results in recent international events have been so-so, but tbh none of the other contenders have impressed much either. so if it's only "what have you done for me lately?" that matters, i don't know if sky or billy is that far ahead of tyler this year. may be wrong.

obviously he acts and performs in a manner that attracts sponsors, which enables him to travel around and compete a lot. he has a massive break and jumps good, very solid fundamentals and an impressive stroke. but then he misses seemingly easy shots from time to time, or scratches. that reminds me of larry nevel who was one of my favorite players to watch, massive break/stroke, but with the occasional miss or scratch. still, in a race to 5 i think tyler is a very dangerous player.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not in love with this pick, but, I get it. I would've like to have seen Chris and Oscar...

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer just finished 2nd in the Austrian Open which featured a bunch of top euro pros including Ouschan, Souquet, Sniegocki, Sanchez-Ruiz, Immonen, etc. He also has a decent record in the Mosconi Cup (2-2 in 2019, 3-2 in 2018). This seems like a no-brainer.

harleydon1950

Registered

I agree, Chris has a beautiful stroke, very similar to SVB, and he played well in 2020. Sadly the American selection pool, is not very deep. Styler did win the Kremlin Cup.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was the right choice. Tyler has been competing full-time, and with his lady by his side, he seems well-rounded, happy, and passionate about pool. I look forward to seeing him at the Mosconi Cup.

I noticed on Facebook that Shane Van Boening fully supports Tyler and said he knows Tyler will be giving 1,000 percent to the team. That speaks volumes, coming from Shane.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Styer just finished 2nd in the Austrian Open which featured a bunch of top euro pros including Ouschan, Souquet, Sniegocki, Sanchez-Ruiz, Immonen, etc. He also has a decent record in the Mosconi Cup (2-2 in 2019, 3-2 in 2018). This seems like a no-brainer.
I didn't know about Tyler's high finish at the Austrian Open. In view of this, the Styer pick makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler plays way more than Oscar. OD is real busy being dad and room owner. Tyler is pretty much full-time grind.
10-4, didn't know that... and good for him.
thought I noticed Oscar having a few good turnouts lately, I believe he can still improve.
Thanks.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Tyler plays way more than Oscar. OD is real busy being dad and room owner. Tyler is pretty much full-time grind.
Full Time Grind.................Nice verbage.
Tyler....I saw/heard em as he walked by at Mandalay after later round win at the US Open............it was the 1st Matchroom Sports US Open when he won a later round, opponent got 8 I think. I saw him chat with another as he was leading our walk out to the control desk to turn in his results.
Someone informed em walking by.... one more round.
Huh was his expression, really?
He was exhausted and had to play once more that day.
Next round he didn't get there.
It was enjoyable/watching and then hearing em almost complaining/not really that he had another match to get to tomorrows play. :)
I understand very well what it's like in this format with these caliber players, having finished 16-24 TWICE with the original formt Barry Behrmans true dbl elim event.
And if Jimmy Reid didn't flat out shark me when I pulled the trigger in my second US Open I would of kept on.
But that was/is how he rolled.

Last edited:

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DC83ECC6-679B-436E-85F6-0EDE171CF392.jpeg
I called Earl and Tyler a month ago!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was the right choice. Tyler has been competing full-time, and with his lady by his side, he seems well-rounded, happy, and passionate about pool. I look forward to seeing him at the Mosconi Cup.

I noticed on Facebook that Shane Van Boening fully supports Tyler and said he knows Tyler will be giving 1,000 percent to the team. That speaks volumes, coming from Shane.
And to be fair Shane is a co-captain and so presumably played a role in actually picking Tyler!