Ultimate Argument: Pendulum vs Piston Stroke

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue goes from backwards to forward. Must be SPF.

I chalk left and pivot my cue right. Must be CTE.

The balls on the table roll straight. Must be Flat Earth.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, I've got a device. Do you want to be the first lucky player to have it?

I'll let you in cheap but you have to act fast. Whatcha gonna do?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried both and I might be better pool player with the piston stroke. I realize this drops the elbow and moves the shoulder but we've got to choose which one. I know a lot of schools and instructors only want the pure pendulum stroke. Please tell us what you use and why.
Elbow drop does not mean its piston stroke the piston stoke is locking the arm in one position with no other moving parts

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Elbow drop does not mean its piston stroke the piston stoke is locking the arm in one position with no other moving parts
That’s the pendulum stroke (locking the upper arm; moving only the forearm). “Piston” means the elbow moves - two versions of that are the classic snooker stroke (elbow raises and lowers to keep the cue level) and the “Pinoy pumphandle” (don’t ask me).

pj
chgo

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stroke mechanics are to produce hit on cueball. With right amount of speed, direction and spin.
It does not matter how it is accomplished. There are many ways that can work. What does it most of the time is best. That can be different to other peoples IMO.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried both and I might be better pool player with the piston stroke. I realize this drops the elbow and moves the shoulder but we've got to choose which one. I know a lot of schools and instructors only want the pure pendulum stroke. Please tell us what you use and why.

To answer your question:

I use a DIFFERENT type stroke as needed. It just depends on what action is needed.

Going from what I saw in your "one game vid" (not much to go on.... but it's all you gave us), I would say you should learn to be efficient with the pendulum stroke before venturing out into waters over your head.

Again, all I have to judge your skill level on is the "1" game which is almost less than nothing in pool.

If you want a SERIOUS answer, well.... there it is.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And to think, I caught chit from people (specifically chris) when I mentioned my ghost race scores "with videos to prove"...... and then somebody comew along and more or less says everyone is SPINELESS and scared and he dont say BOO.....lol.... not to mention, lol..... have you read all his crazy-ass threads asking stupid as chit questions that make him sound like someone that just started to play instead of someone that has played for years.... much less own a room!

Just never know about folks here.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And to think, I caught chit from people (specifically chris) when I mentioned my ghost race scores "with videos to prove"...... and then somebody comew along and more or less says everyone is SPINELESS and scared and he dont say BOO.....lol.... not to mention, lol..... have you read all his crazy-ass threads asking stupid as chit questions that make him sound like someone that just started to play instead of someone that has played for years.... much less own a room!

Just never know about folks here.

Without commenting on the posting habits of any particular person, I have come to learn that all the basic high school types are represented here.

The scholars, the jocks, the science guys, the plastics, the cheerleaders, the debating team, the cool kids, the bullies, the drama class, the outcasts, the short buss kids, the not cool kids that want to be cool kids but can’t quite pull it off, and so on.

It is what it is.

Lou Figueroa
held back a year

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Without commenting on the posting habits of any particular person, I have come to learn that all the basic high school types are represented here.

The scholars, the jocks, the science guys, the plastics, the cheerleaders, the debating team, the cool kids, the bullies, the drama class, the outcasts, the short buss kids, the not cool kids that want to be cool kids but can’t quite pull it off, and so on.

It is what it is.

Lou Figueroa
held back a year

Excellent observation Lou.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[ Deleted, ………………...

I saw it.

Threads meander. Just like an actual conversation between lots of people, comments are made, questions asked, more comments are made and you end up far from the original topic. After a few posts here very, very few threads remain strictly on topic. You don’t need to get all Miss Manners over it.

Lou Figueroa

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw it.

Threads meander. Just like an actual conversation between lots of people, comments are made, questions asked, more comments are made and you end up far from the original topic. After a few posts here very, very few threads remain strictly on topic. You don’t need to get all Miss Manners over it.

Lou Figueroa

I deleted it. Thought it was mean. But, I do not understand the nasty personal comments others make that have nothing to do with the thread. I only read threads I'm interested in and if I post, it is something to do with the thread.
Here you are in this thread and we have no idea of what stroke you use, what you've worked on, etc.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It is what it is.

Lou Figueroa
held back a year

Look around the world, it’s the same thing. You’ve named every type of person. The interesting part is figuring out what group everyone thinks they belong to. I may identify as a cool kid, but you may see me as a bully. You may identify as a scholar, while I may see you as a debater.

It is what it is, but it’s different to everyone.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly sure of what mechanics actually constitute a ‘piston’ stroke, but I had always considered my own stroke to be a classic ‘pendulum’. But, recently have been having a lot of trouble pocketing long straight-in or table-length shots. Until, through trial & error I discovered that dipping the tip (raising elbow?) at the end of the stroke has (surprisingly) totally solved the problem (go figure).

BTW: Forgot to mention: When I hit those long shots normally, the CB path looks exactly on target, yet the hit is off & the OB inevitably bobbles/hangs up. But, when I DO remember to dip/jack the elbow, the CB path looks off, yet at the last second it hits perfectly & the OB goes right down the hole. Puzzling.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I deleted it. Thought it was mean. But, I do not understand the nasty personal comments others make that have nothing to do with the thread. I only read threads I'm interested in and if I post, it is something to do with the thread.
Here you are in this thread and we have no idea of what stroke you use, what you've worked on, etc.

I don’t know what stroke I use.

Don’t care either. Over the years I’ve found that what’s more important (to me) than achieving some idealized motion is achieving a setup that produces accurate CB movement that matches what I want to do. That’s it.

Why would I care about having a perfect piston or pendulum stroke if when using it the balls don’t go into the pocket and/or the CB goes thataway when I want it to go thisaway? Assuming a perfect motion will automatically lead to pool nerdvana is a mistaken premise, IMO.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look around the world, it’s the same thing. You’ve named every type of person. The interesting part is figuring out what group everyone thinks they belong to. I may identify as a cool kid, but you may see me as a bully. You may identify as a scholar, while I may see you as a debater.

It is what it is, but it’s different to everyone.

A bully?

Naw, more like a big pussycat that farts in your face when you scratch behind it’s ear :)

Lou Figueroa

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A bully?

Naw, more like a big pussycat that farts in your face when you scratch behind it’s ear :)

Lou Figueroa

It was an example of how one could have the wrong impression, not saying that’s how you felt. Glad to know your thoughts though.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this works best

I get down on the ball and hold the tip of my cue 1/4" from the cue
ball while sliding my bridge hand back and forth, then when I'm ready
I shove the cue forward. This is extremely accurate plus very unnerving
to your opponent . A word of warning. this stroke will not work when
when shooting jacked up over a ball unless you make sure to lift your
bridge hand over the ball on your back slide. This combined with the
forward slip stroke is a deadly combination.
jack

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pure pendulum is not for me. My stance is very low to the cue, with my chin firmly planted and light chest contact as well. A pendulum stroke isn't possible without moving my head and chest up and down with the cue, or limiting myself to a very short backswing/follow-through to limit the vertical movement of the cue butt.

Pendulum can be a useful "stroke thought" to try to quiet the role of any movement that isn't from the elbow joint (some of which can be harmful), but strictly sticking to it I think only really works for a small percentage of players.

I apologize for the unsolicited advice, but based the above, it sounds like you have incorrect footing placement. With the proper footing, your cue will swing out to the side of your body and not be under your chest at all or even close to your rib cage. You'll be standing much more sideways than square to the shot.

I know because I also had poor footing placement up until a few weeks ago when I made a change that helped my stroke ten fold. I suggest you look into it and evaluate.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... With the proper footing, your cue will swing out to the side of your body and not be under your chest at all or even close to your rib cage. ...
Joe Davis advocated touching the cue at three points: his chest, his tie and his chin. A lot of snooker pros seem to have taken his advice. Contact with the chest can have some major advantages.