Unknown "monster" players

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mcrisp said:
Billy Costello was a full time Hustler his son Billy Jr was WBC superlight weight champ in the 80's. Billy and johnny did a road trip to Miami in 68. Johnny letf the pool room to see a lady friend and told billy to stay away from Danny Dilerberto...when johnny retirned...who was billy playing...Danny D...lol

I remember watching Billy Jr. fight. Light skinned black guy,
or at least I thought he was.
Very good boxer/puncher.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Monster Players

Just noticed this thread and haven't read all 25 pages! Greg (Big Train) Stevens was one hell of a player in the 70's. He would play any body, any where, at any time. I heard him say "I'll play any body as long as i get too shoot" and "If they can beat me they can bust me".This man had so much confidence in his game all he needed was a shot. Unbelievable shot making ability.

Another good player that robed a lot of pros was Joe Salazar (AKA Joesph Anthony, Anthony Joesph, Anthony Salazar, and Joesph Salazar) just to name a few! He had the ability to hide his real speed and by the time they caught on they had lost most of their bank roll. He could play all the game at top level.

Ryan McCreesh

"Genie Man"
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Okay, these are some of the accomplishments I've BEEN WITNESS to regarding Richard Peck:

150 ball run in 14.1 on triple shim table
7 racks of 9-ball on triple shim table
run of 12 points in 3-cushion

AND his best game is 1-pocket

The guy is an all-around monster. Seriously, he's one of those players that makes you realize the "very best" you see on tv today are called the very best because some choose to stay home. He would be a demon at DCC. I can't think of a single player in the Northeast that would be the favorite against him in a medley.

Ill play him an all-around set for 5 or 10,000 if anyone wants to set this up?

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Papa Red said:
Just noticed this thread and haven't read all 25 pages! Greg (Big Train) Stevens was one hell of a player in the 70's. He would play any body, any where, at any time. I heard him say "I'll play any body as long as i get too shoot" and "If they can beat me they can bust me".This man had so much confidence in his game all he needed was a shot. Unbelievable shot making ability.

Another good player that robed a lot of pros was Joe Salazar (AKA Joesph Anthony, Anthony Joesph, Anthony Salazar, and Joesph Salazar) just to name a few! He had the ability to hide his real speed and by the time they caught on they had lost most of their bank roll. He could play all the game at top level.

Joe Salazar is not an unknown player by any means. There was a time when he was considered to be one of the best bar box players anywhere.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
Joe Salazar is not an unknown player by any means. There was a time when he was considered to be one of the best bar box players anywhere.
My old buddy aka Tracy Joe. But now everybody knows him as "The connoisseur of custom cues" at all the big events. He was truly one of the best.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I told a player I know about this thread. His response was: "I hope you didn't mention me." I haven't...and won't! ;) :grin:

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of memories of past times and friends revived by this thread, keep them coming. Tx

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
thebigdog said:

Yes, Joe is a well known player! All I was saying was when Joe was on the road in his early days he wasn't known, that's why I classified him as an unknown player in his early years. Everyone starts out unknown until they beat a few noticeable players and people start to take notice. In his day he beat a a lot of great players before they starting talking and he got noticed, then everyone was scared to play him.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Dead Money? LOL! Tried to give you a greenie, but couldn't...guess I have to give one to somebody else first.

But seriously, wouldn't "under the radar" players prefer remaining so?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back in the early 70's, There was Barry Greenberg, a lawyer out of New York. He could run 100's at will. Poor fool decided to get a job. Wonder who remembers him.

Greg Stevens and Joe Salazar were not unknown by any means. Weldon Rogers stayed under the radar much better. On the West Coast, everyone knew the name Peter Gunn, but most did not know what he looked like. Tacoma Whitey found out to the tune of 60K in 1970's dollars.

Jack Cooney hid his identity successfully for two decades or more. Bill Mielke was another good sniper back then. He could beat all but the best players. James "Youngblood" Brown snuck up on a lot of good players, on big tables and bar boxes. Just ask King Kong what happened to him the first time he met James.

Mikey Carella was an unknown monster until he finally got "outed". Danny D. kept him under wraps for several years, just bringing him out long enough to get the cash. Wade Crane (aka Billy Johnson) was another 'unknown' monster player back then. He went back and forth across the country beating everybody before he started playing tournaments under his real name.

One of the best ever was Canella the Mexican champion who emerged in the 70's and was beating EVERYBODY. Very few people knew what he looked like. He succumbed to drugs at an early age. When he came back north, he was not the same player.

Did you know the first time Parica came to this country was in the early 80's to play in a Straight Pool tourney in New York. None other than Steve Mizerak tried to give him 50 going to 150. Didn't work out so well for Steve. Then Parica came back in the mid 80's and went to Houston. He played David Howard, James Christopher, Louie, Earl and a couple of other top players. He spotted EVERYONE at Ten Ball, giving some the eight and others the nine. NO ONE know who he was! He won over 100K that first trip. Try that sometime. :D

Just remember one thing, back in the 70's and 80's Buddy was a very well known player. All the unknown 'monster' players ducked him. He was where they drew the line. Only Parica wanted to play him. No one else wanted to play a guy who got perfect position a foot or two away from the object ball all day long. Would you?

And one more thing, Keith went looking for 'monster' players. :)

Last edited:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody remember Eugene Browning from the late eighties or early nineties? He tortured Cliff once in Charlotte. How about Jimmy Wales? Ricky Gracyk? Pete Horne?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Anybody remember Eugene Browning from the late eighties or early nineties? He tortured Cliff once in Charlotte. How about Jimmy Wales? Ricky Gracyk? Pete Horne?

In that same crew was Rick Van Uum. I think I spelled his name right. What about Jr. Brown? Did you know him?

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
In that same crew was Rick Van Uum. I think I spelled his name right. What about Jr. Brown? Did you know him?
Heard of him. How about Buster Merchant (Mercer)? He came through here, once.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Blasts from the past........

Little Ricky and Rick Graczyk. Those are some good players right there. Seen em' both play mighty good in person against some pretty good players.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't forget Toby Sweet. He rarely lost to anyone, and I mean anyone! Toby would bet it up too. One more great player was George Brunt. He was a little more high profile than Toby, but many players didn't really know how well he played. Gabby from Texas was another very strong player who didn't get a lot of recognition.

Last edited:

dafish1970

LQQK OUT
Silver Member
marco marquez....chicago player beat everyone in chicago...took 2nd to buddy in baton rouge legonds of one pocket in late 90s...monster...ever see him flip quarters?lol

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any thoughts on Bill Mulloy-upper midwest-greatplains area?
Any thoughts on Corsicana-Texas in the 70's?

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Jay;

I know you remember Roy Futternick. We hit tournament and the road in the late 70s and 80s. Very deceptive and skilled money maker. Even got better, played close to Kim D for a long time.