Unknown "monster" players

Seneca Steve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a road player running around Birmingham, Al. from S.Carolina so I'm told. He says his name is Donny, he's 5'8 mid 40s to early 50s about 150-165lbs with a grey hair and goatee and a pretty good looking brunette named Lisa running with him. Anyway he plays jam up, he stands up right with a loose slippery closed bridge stroke and strings racks together effortlessly almost as if he's free popping. Don't know if it is even his real name but I threw out a fair description, he plays a champion speed from what I saw, he ran a few 9's over giving them the 7.

I know or have known most of the strong players from SC for the last 45 years. The age and description does not ring a bell. He`s likely from some other state

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank Fisher aka Manny Mota from Tennessee was a great road player in the 70s and 80s. Also, Ottis Moore from NC was a great unknown player from that era.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vaughn Lucas, played out of Cali in the 80s and late 90s and AZ in between. I know he's been all over though so somebody might know who he was. He passed away in 2002 so he would have been known prior to that. I know he beat King Kong out of a nice amount of money. He tried to stay under the radar so I don't know how many people know him by his real name, he used many different names while he was on the road. I remember as a kid he would bring home cars and jewelry he beat people out of. At the 2003 BCA I met alot of people who knew him that all they talked about was how good he was and if I inherited the skills. Robin Dodson was a good friend of the family and anytime ive ever seen her she just gushes over how good he was. They said that at his best he played as well as anyone in the world. I believe it, I've never seen anyone do the things he did on a pool table. Had to throw my dads name out there, he was definitely a monster on the pool table.

I might've known your dad, Vaughn. I never knew his last name. If he hung around Orange County in the early to mid-80's, I'm sure he and I met. If this is the same fella I remember, he stayed under the radar and had a real solid game. I always wondered what happened to him.

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might've known your dad, Vaughn. I never knew his last name. If he hung around Orange County in the early to mid-80's, I'm sure he and I met. If this is the same fella I remember, he stayed under the radar and had a real solid game. I always wondered what happened to him.

Yeah that had to have been him, I was born in OC in 84. He was early in his playing days then. He hit his peak in the 90s when we were in AZ. He ended up buying 3 pool halls in so cal before he passed away. If it was a black guy with an afro then I'm sure it was him. Cool to find people who knew my dad. Did u know my mom by chance?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank Fisher aka Manny Mota from Tennessee was a great road player in the 70s and 80s. Also, Ottis Moore from NC was a great unknown player from that era.

Frank was a good friend of mine. We made a few trips together. He lived in Chas. S.C. for a while. Any one sees him, tell him I said hi!

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah that had to have been him, I was born in OC in 84. He was early in his playing days then. He hit his peak in the 90s when we were in AZ. He ended up buying 3 pool halls in so cal before he passed away. If it was a black guy with an afro then I'm sure it was him. Cool to find people who knew my dad. Did u know my mom by chance?

Yep, it looks like we're talking about the same person. I moved out of Orange County in 1986 and lost track of him. I'm sorry to hear he passed.

pixel8tr

Registered
Don't forget Dan Louie. He isn't the dominant player he once was, but still damn good! And Rich Geiler can still make a ball or two. :rolleyes:
Jay; Dan and Rich are top players, but I think if you ask them about George "Whitey" Michaels from Tacoma, they will tell you that he was the BEST one-pocket player in the Pac NW ever. I watched him play Ronnie Allen 9-8/8-8 when Ronnie was hitting them good, and Ronnie I believe broke even. Whitey was a true monster, he would match up with anybody. Also, one of the nicest guys you could find.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
monster

Davey Jones. southern michigan table slayer, he'd let u shoot with both hands, and gamble u right out of the deed to your house while he played 1 handed! and he was even better with 2 hands.

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay; Dan and Rich are top players, but I think if you ask them about George "Whitey" Michaels from Tacoma, they will tell you that he was the BEST one-pocket player in the Pac NW ever. I watched him play Ronnie Allen 9-8/8-8 when Ronnie was hitting them good, and Ronnie I believe broke even. Whitey was a true monster, he would match up with anybody. Also, one of the nicest guys you could find.

Wow, a Tacoma Whitey shout out! :)

You will still hear stories about Whitey in the NW, even 30 years later, the man was/is a legend in that area. He played real sporty and gambled with the best of them supposedly. A good friend of mine (Bill Kelly, played great snooker and 1 pocket, passed away in the late 90's in T-town) was a buddy of Whitey's for decades and had some crazy stories about Whitey and his gambling at the place in downtown Tacoma, and also from what he said Whitey was quite the character and funny as heck! Shame what happened to him, but facing major health problems, somewhat understandable I guess.

Oh, Whitey also had a company that made pool tables back in the 70's. I can't remember the brand name off hand, but they had indian head pennies for diamonds, and were pretty well regarded. They still come up for sale now & then in the nickle trader and classified ads up there. They used to have one of those tables at the old Shipwreck Tavern out on the tideflats, but I think that place might be closed now.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chicken george might have owned a hall in westerville, ohio around 96 or so. a buddy of mine used to refer to him as chicken shit george but i never did get the history behind that.

That was Chicken Charlie....he never played anyone he couldn't spot at least 2 balls , stupidest thing is, that he was always in action.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Donnie Brown a few days ago at a little pool hall around here. Drunk as a skunk and offering almost anyone in the bar the 6 out wild and the breaks for 50 a game. Finally got a pretty good player to bite and wound up beating him for 5 or 6 games. Guy never plays pool anymore and can still offer up that kind of weight, pretty impressive. And always entertaining.

I used to play a few of the old monthly 9-ball tournaments at the Tulsa Billiard Palace and around OKC when I was younger, and Donnie was just young (early '90's). He was really impressive. One of the smoothest young players I've ever seen.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more from the OKC, OK area...

Most pool players around the Oklahoma City area in the late '80's and early '90's may remember "Tulsa" Mike Kuykendall. During that time, the Tulsa Billiard Palace held monthly 9 ball tournaments that always drew strong players (David Matlock, Donnie Brown, Justin Whitehead, Randy Jones, James Walden...). Mike took down one of the earlier tournaments there and got a silver Tulsa Billiard Palace jacket that he wore alot, and the "Tulsa Mike" moniker stuck. Terrific player, particularly deadly when playing for cash. Mike, sadly, was afflicted with the same disease that has kept me out of pool for the last 10-15 years: A JOB, with the associated conditions of mouths to feed, bills to pay, etc.

Great guy. I miss seeing him. Anyone that knows his whereabouts, shoot me a PM.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
List c/o Ted Harris:

Terry "Fish" Sapp , Bill "the Old Man" Brandt , John Moody , George "Beaver" Burbage, Kevin West, Dennis Montero , Freddy Scott, Steve Milano, Miles "Scoochie" Moffit, Charlie Crippen, Wayne "Juggie" Wareheim, "Cigar" Tom Vanover, Dave Bollman, Tom Wirth, Danny Green, Tim "Poppa" Poppageorge, Mark "the Shark" Shrader, Gary "Little Gary" Flanary, Junior Harris, Joe Frady, "Loudmouth" Tony, Dave Smith, Don Gibson, Charlie "The Korean Dragon" Williams, Mike Newport, Bo Newport, Max Schlothauer, "Jumpin" Don Hudgins, Peter Ghostine, Bobby Legg, "Mad" Max Eberle, "Punkie," "Bus Driver" Ronnie, Craig Rhineman, Mike "Geese" Gerace, Russell Parsons, Richard "Squirrell" Bassett.

shakey91929

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of Rome, New York Finest

There was a player growing up in our home town in the 60's and 70's that could play even up with any world champion of that era. His name was Eddie "Cannonball" Kienowski. Whenever the proprietor of our local pool hall brought a championship caliber player in for an exhibition they would get Eddie to play him. He played and beat the likes of Arthur "Babe" Cranfield, Joe Balsis, Joey Canton and plenty more. His only problem was that he could run 100 to 200 balls at any time in a pool hall but once he played in a tournament with a suit on and people in the stands he had trouble thinking his way through a rack. He is currently in our local (Rome, New York) Sports Hall of Fame for billiards. He was and always will be a legend in our home town.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
List c/o Ted Harris:

Terry "Fish" Sapp , Bill "the Old Man" Brandt , John Moody , George "Beaver" Burbage, Kevin West, Dennis Montero , Freddy Scott, Steve Milano, Miles "Scoochie" Moffit, Charlie Crippen, Wayne "Juggie" Wareheim, "Cigar" Tom Vanover, Dave Bollman, Tom Wirth, Danny Green, Tim "Poppa" Poppageorge, Mark "the Shark" Shrader, Gary "Little Gary" Flanary, Junior Harris, Joe Frady, "Loudmouth" Tony, Dave Smith, Don Gibson, Charlie "The Korean Dragon" Williams, Mike Newport, Bo Newport, Max Schlothauer, "Jumpin" Don Hudgins, Peter Ghostine, Bobby Legg, "Mad" Max Eberle, "Punkie," "Bus Driver" Ronnie, Craig Rhineman, Mike "Geese" Gerace, Russell Parsons, Richard "Squirrell" Bassett.

Bobby Legg (s?) was a road partner of Buddy Hall. I played him in my ONLY BCA Pool league tournament and he sharked me so bad, I had steam coming out of my ears. He beat me and knocked me into the loser's bracket. Bobby has since past on. RIP, you sharking piece of .... Aww, I'm kidding. I've had a couple of shots of whiskey which I don't normally do but just thought I would let you guys see that I am not the Goody-Two Shoes that everyone thinks I am. LOL Actually, Bobby was an EXCELLENT player. He would spin his rock on that little bar table like there was no tomorrow and get perfect shape. I don't know too many people that spun his rock like that. McCready comes to mind and Scotty Townsend but that's about it. Bobby sent me over to the one loss side and it took me years to forgive him for his "hand flashes". Oh wll, life goes on. I'm sure Bobby was a good guy to those who knew him in a different manner.

JOeyA

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a player growing up in our home town in the 60's and 70's that could play even up with any world champion of that era. His name was Eddie "Cannonball" Kienowski. Whenever the proprietor of our local pool hall brought a championship caliber player in for an exhibition they would get Eddie to play him. He played and beat the likes of Arthur "Babe" Cranfield, Joe Balsis, Joey Canton and plenty more. His only problem was that he could run 100 to 200 balls at any time in a pool hall but once he played in a tournament with a suit on and people in the stands he had trouble thinking his way through a rack. He is currently in our local (Rome, New York) Sports Hall of Fame for billiards. He was and always will be a legend in our home town.

I met Cannonball years ago. I have his autograph, as a matter of fact! I also knew a guy who learned a lot from him about playing and matching up.
Eddie walked into the local room in Endicott, NY., Vivona's, I think it was. "The Ball's here, runs hundreds back to back, who wants to play some?" Went all around the room and no takers. Finally a voice pipes up from the counter, "I'll play ya some!" Eddie looks around and it's some guy with a blond crew-cut, t-shirt, cut-off shorts. Steve Mizerak!!
The word I have is, they didn't play, Eddie knew who Steve was and wouldn't tangle with him. One of the few times, from what I hear.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not going through the whole thread again but has anybody mentioned Ron "Julio" Casanzio from Rochester, NY? I may have myself back in the thread somewhere but Ronnie deserves to be mentioned if not.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby Legg is legend around the mid-atlantic. Like the Keither, he only needed to play safe twice...ever.

Bobby Legg (s?) was a road partner of Buddy Hall. I played him in my ONLY BCA Pool league tournament and he sharked me so bad, I had steam coming out of my ears. He beat me and knocked me into the loser's bracket. Bobby has since past on. RIP, you sharking piece of .... Aww, I'm kidding. I've had a couple of shots of whiskey which I don't normally do but just thought I would let you guys see that I am not the Goody-Two Shoes that everyone thinks I am. LOL Actually, Bobby was an EXCELLENT player. He would spin his rock on that little bar table like there was no tomorrow and get perfect shape. I don't know too many people that spun his rock like that. McCready comes to mind and Scotty Townsend but that's about it. Bobby sent me over to the one loss side and it took me years to forgive him for his "hand flashes". Oh wll, life goes on. I'm sure Bobby was a good guy to those who knew him in a different manner.

JOeyA