Unknown "monster" players

OklaPony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most pool players around the Oklahoma City area in the late '80's and early '90's may remember "Tulsa" Mike Kuykendall. During that time, the Tulsa Billiard Palace held monthly 9 ball tournaments that always drew strong players (David Matlock, Donnie Brown, Justin Whitehead, Randy Jones, James Walden...). Mike took down one of the earlier tournaments there and got a silver Tulsa Billiard Palace jacket that he wore alot, and the "Tulsa Mike" moniker stuck. Terrific player, particularly deadly when playing for cash. Mike, sadly, was afflicted with the same disease that has kept me out of pool for the last 10-15 years: A JOB, with the associated conditions of mouths to feed, bills to pay, etc.

Great guy. I miss seeing him. Anyone that knows his whereabouts, shoot me a PM.
I ran into Mike about 10 years ago in St. Louis. I was up there for work and was at a pool hall on the Illinois side one Saturday for a tournament. I think he was still driving a truck and just happened to be in that neck of the woods on that particular day and, if memory serves, he wasn't playing. We talked for a little while, he seemed to be doing ok, hope he still is. He used to absolutely take me to school on Buddy's 10 ft. tables but always took the time to show me how I could improve things.

a9ballbr8k

Don't anger my stakehorse
Silver Member
I'm not going through the whole thread again but has anybody mentioned Ron "Julio" Casanzio from Rochester, NY? I may have myself back in the thread somewhere but Ronnie deserves to be mentioned if not.

Tap..tap. I don't know Ron very well but I've played him some cheap sets a short time ago. Humbling it was to say the least. He is still a strong player. Classic Billiards on West ridge closed it's doors a short time ago. Classis Billiards East has changed owners a few times and is now Camelot billiards. Sometimes you can find Dave Grau and Shane Winters there for a tourney. Dan "DJ" Heindrich also plays there. Earnie Pavone still hits 'em around from time to time. Lyn Wechsler appears from time to time. All the above mentioned are strong players.

How do you know of Ron if you don't mind me asking? PM if need be.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Bobby Legg is legend around the mid-atlantic. Like the Keither, he only needed to play safe twice...ever.

I only met Bobby one time. I think it was in 1999 in Vegas when he won the Seniors tournament.

Beat a friend of mine in the finals. Good player.

troy kirkendoll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mike lewis

mike lewis was a total monster in his day. he is a past missouri state 9ball champion. at 1 time he was ranked like 13th on the mizerak senior tour. he has ran 14 snooker racks on a 10ft. i watched him run 14 out of 15 racks of 9ball in the finals of a tournament that he had to double dip the other guy. he was a great tournament player, but not a gambler at all. i personally seen him beat the likes of matlock, melton, vanover in tournaments. he hasnt picked up a cue in bout 6 years. but as far as raw talent he could hold his own with anyone

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I remember him. I saw him, in Muskogee, OK, about 15 years ago but I don't play anymore. I think he was from Ft. Smith, AR.

I have to throw in my favorite monster player, Long Beach Dicky.

What year was that?.............

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Curtis Payne was from the Dallas, TX. area! We play at Time Square in Dallas in the late 60's and early 70's. Later he went to Tyler, TX. and was backer by a guy name of Jerald (I think) and play in a little bar on the highway between Tyler and Longview. The last time I played him was at a tournament in Ft. Smith, AR. and he was living in a trailer behind the bar. Time Square was a hot spot for action and a lot of top players came in all the time! Greg Stevens can in a lot and Buddy Hall, Louie Robert were in quite a bit from time to time along with players from California. If you wanted to see top action the Cotton Bowling Palace and Time Square was the place to be.

I'll bet anyone he is still wearing bell bottom pants!:thumbup:

doublej487

valleys are 2 tight
Silver Member
Jack Dunbar beat my good friend in 1989 or 1991, I can't remember for sure, for the drivers seat in the regular division 8 ball singles at the VNEA in Vegas. I saw Weldon play out there too. Gary Spaeth had a pretty good couple of years out there too.

jack dunbar from wv

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I played Jeff Melton the other day In Tulsa...Nice guy..Dunno if its the same guy..but he snuck up on me...

Short hair, nice smile, good action, a fair man, and his family is great, he's got a few brothers, they are all nice people. Kind-of a cowboy type man. If you see em again, tell em I said high.

billyjungle

jack russell breeder
Silver Member
Paul Schofield who posts here(dress code) and owns Gold Crown Billiards in Erie Pa was supposed to play pretty sporty in the early '70s.

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
I can name a few from my local tri-state area. Start with Mike Hellmer, only problem with him is he just doesnt seem to care, but when he actually does care and does WANT to play he can run with the best. In fact earlier this month at that big tournament in Rhode Island he tied for 17th, which isnt a great finish usually but he beat such names as ernesto dominguez and jeremy sossei to get there, and we are talking about a guy who only really plays leagues and hangs around his own pool hall. Tony Piazza is one of the best relatively "unknown" players around here. He can up and run with anybody when hes ready to play. I watched him double dip Gabe Owen in a tournament once and heard from other people that he had taken Gabe for a chunk of change a few years back. Even though i know hes going to disagree with me if he sees this but Dave Gross "12squared" can play a pretty mean game of pool especially one pocket. As far as women go has anybody ever heard of Bonnie Plowman? Most of you probably havent, but she has I think 4 canadian national championships and many many many vegas masters championships in both 8 and 9 ball for vnea.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
How good was Smokey Bartlett?

At one time, "Jessie", that's what we called him when he lived in Jackson, MS 30 something years ago and he could give the 7 ball to everyone there except maybe Reed Pierce but that was when Reed was first coming on the scene. Dressed back then and looked like a hippy; sandals, LONG, LONG, hair, still cut up on his stomach and chest from gang fights as I recall. Smaller size guy and I don't remember him ever losing at anything.