UPS does it......AGAIN

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
take them to small claims court. Don't know if it will make a difference or not. They may just pay rather than mess with the legal system.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Did you put insurance on it when you shipped?

I know that I did for A FACT. That depot once stole a 3500.00 supercharger before it even got on a truck, so I know better. Furthermore, they already damaged this shaper once already.

They are claiming I did not. The receipt doesn't list any declared value at all.

I remember putting 3500.00 on the declared value very VERY clearly.

I pretty much lost all self control and might get a visit from law enforcement.....

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ship six fioot machines all the time with UPS. I take as much as I can off the lathe to keep the weight below 90 pounds and put the small items in a second or even third or fourth box. 90 pounds seems to be the mark that makes the drivers mad and gets it handled roughly. :)
I also put a few inches of styrofoam on each end and some under it. Completely fill it with styrofoam peanuts. I have had very little damage with UPS. That crate looks like a monster and probably should have been shipped by freight. If you did not get it insured full value $100 will be the maximum payout. My daughter once put 57 in the weight and the value slots by accident and we called to correct the value and they said too late. It got supposedly stolen out of the guys garage and we got paid $100 plus shipping charge refund.
When shipping at a UPS store that is an idependently owned place. Always look at the receipt as they are often clueless and make mistakes. Once you walk out the door with your receipt, what ever is on it is what you get.
$3500 extra value would have required extra paper work on their part and cost you around $50 extra shipping charges for insurance at a UPS store.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I ship six fioot machines all the time with UPS. I take as much as I can off the lathe to keep the weight below 90 pounds and put the small items in a second or even third or fourth box. 90 pounds seems to be the mark that makes the drivers mad and gets it handled roughly. :)
I also put a few inches of styrofoam on each end and some under it. Completely fill it with styrofoam peanuts. I have had very little damage with UPS. That crate looks like a monster and probably should have been shipped by freight. If you did not get it insured full value $100 will be the maximum payout. My daughter once put 57 in the weight and the value slots by accident and we called to correct the value and they said too late. It got supposedly stolen out of the guys garage and we got paid $100 plus shipping charge refund.
When shipping at a UPS store that is an idependently owned place. Always look at the receipt as they are often clueless and make mistakes. Once you walk out the door with your receipt, what ever is on it is what you get.
$3500 extra value would have required extra paper work on their part and cost you around $50 extra shipping charges for insurance at a UPS store.

It was at a UPS depot and the last 3500.00 item they "sent" never found the truck. NO extra paperwork then. They is NOTHING on the receipt that shows any declared value, so I guess you are correct there. I should have made sure they didn't f it up somehow.

They manage to f everything else up. UPS may be ok going through your channels, but ALL 3 expensive items I've sent or received were either lost or stolen by UPS employees.

THAT is my experience.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yeah, my wife has been meaning to thank you for all those peanuts Chris.

Took about a month to find them all in the kitchen. Staticy (new word) and stick to everything.

I knew the UPS guy from pool that delivered it. He picked up the big box, you say approx 90 lbs, threw it over his shoulder and marched it up the back steps like it was nothing.

Last edited:

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the weight does'nt matter

The real issue is that no one can really trust ups.....With anything large or small.......The entire operation is run the same way....From top to bottom poorly VERY poorly.................Ray Weeks

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
That plus they have their own money grab extra customs handling fee.
Just when you think you've paid for shipping etc, you have to whip out the credit card for another 50.

Tom Hay sent me a small box a few weeks ago and I got dinged for $34 and change.

I will have to specify from now on, please do not use UPS when sending me something.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Just when you think you've paid for shipping etc, you have to whip out the credit card for another 50.

Tom Hay sent me a small box a few weeks ago and I got dinged for $34 and change.

I will have to specify from now on, please do not use UPS when sending me something.

I just got a couple sets of balls....88.00 in brokerage, plus the original 40 for shipping.

RBC

Deceased

The only way to ship to Canada is via USPS.

The US Postal Service gets a "pass" to Canada because of the North American Free Trade Agreement. USPS doesn't have to mess with it.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been finding that all over the world the regular postal service is the best value for money and seem to take relatively good care of the packages.
The courier companies have a lot of what I call trumped up fees , that any one can fill out the paper work , but have to use their people and call it brokerage.
I have filled out the declarations in the past before international packages, but now have to fork out upto 200 bucks for 10 -15 mins of paper forms. Just gutting.
There have been lots of good info and suggestions for packaging of delicate or valuable items.
Neil

CrukedStick

Robert's Cues
Silver Member
Horrible Carriers

Good luck on the insurance..I once bought a tunnel ram, 2-4 barrel set up, came in it's own smashed crate, thanks to them, UPS - The biggest problem is they are in such a damn hurry, and the pukes can't lift 20 LBS..Anyway, insured it for twice the value, money pissed away..I got with a person I knew here and his brother-in-law is in charge of the claims department thinking I would get some better help..He said in 18 years there he has never paid a single dime in claims, that they had a team of lawyers that prevented it "nation wide"...After trying to sue them I found it to be true..Pony express did a hell of lot better job...

Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a couple damage claims paid by UPS, of course they try to deny it first, but after arguing and sending them the required info (proof of value or receipts) they paid them. One was for a neon light, one was for a computer monitor.

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a cue delivered by UPS. They left it under a tree half way down my driveway, 250 feet from my house. :angry:

Good luck with your Taper Shaper.

osohappie

AKA...Chesapeake Bear
Silver Member
You could send something through UPS in a ACME safe and it could still be damaged. After the second destroyed cue, the second one with forklift tire marks on the tube, I avoid the men in brown with a vegence

Ups does not use forklifts! I have been there for 19 years as a driver and have never seen one in our building. We are not a small center either (185 routes or trucks )work out of it. Things do get damage from time to time though thats why we offer insurance!

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Ups does not use forklifts! I have been there for 19 years as a driver and have never seen one in our building. We are not a small center either (185 routes or trucks )work out of it. Things do get damage from time to time though thats why we offer insurance!

Doesn't really matter what kind of tire now does it?