Us 10 ball out of griffs ..nice reminder for the match room complainers

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I absolutely love “Post Up” streaming this and doing commentary. It’s awesome.

Yah, Matchroom is more professional yada yada yada but Collins is awesome and his format is great with the chat and the guests that join him. And it’s FREE!
Amen

Ghost of OBC

Watching now. It is great. One of pool's greatest assets is the permeability of the barrier between local shortstop and world-class pro. Show up, pay your money, anyone could win. It is extremely compelling, especially for a sport that will never appeal to non-players.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope this is the last we are seeing of this kind of pro tournament Because I for one never want to go back.

I wholly disagree with this part of the post. Griff’s and similar halls have provided us with matches that rival anything Matchroom has provided. I would rewatch Oscar vs Foldes (2019), with Mataya commentating at Griffs, over almost any Matchroom match. Please don’t wish this type of American pool away.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The cameras and production quality is excellent. The commentary is GREAT…Collins, Molina, and Fedor! It’s a half step below Matchroom but with 1/100th the cost to setup and completely free for all of us spectators. And we got digitalpool for the bracket which is the absolute best.

There is nothing to complain about and this is not a step back for pool. This is perfect.
The streaming quality is just as good as what we saw at the World Ten Ball and the commentary is very good as well. Collins has a nice clear voice and he does an excellent job of keeping up a good convo while talking about the match and the players. I happen to really like the way he goes about his job here. Molina Mike is a very knowledgeable pool guy and he blends well with Collins. I could listen to them every match and be happy. They have it all working on their stream and I for one am glad to see people like this who care about the game and want to share it with the world. It doesn't hurt that we also have world class players showing their stuff on good equipment! A full 12 days of this for FREE! It doesn't get any better than that for pool fans! I was glad to send a small donation to them. All I have to say is keep it up!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
final pushed to the next day, 10 am. with a shot clock svb would be clear favorite, without one i would say vitaly got a decent chance

CaptainBly

Registered
I am loving this stream. Great players and great video. 10 Ball is also my favorite rotation game to watch. I like that they move around the room to other tables when there is downtime on the stream table. Get to see other killers in action. I have had zero issues with this stream unlike with almost every Matchroom stream on Dazn.
It's nice to have something different.
Honestly, what is different when watching a Matchroomm open in the US-England-Germany or Spain? What changes? Everything looks the same. It's nice to have some change in pool.

shooter_Hans

The streaming quality is just as good as what we saw at the World Ten Ball and the commentary is very good as well. Collins has a nice clear voice and he does an excellent job of keeping up a good convo while talking about the match and the players. I happen to really like the way he goes about his job here. Molina Mike is a very knowledgeable pool guy and he blends well with Collins. I could listen to them every match and be happy. They have it all working on their stream and I for one am glad to see people like this who care about the game and want to share it with the world. It doesn't hurt that we also have world class players showing their stuff on good equipment! A full 12 days of this for FREE! It doesn't get any better than that for pool fans! I was glad to send a small donation to them. All I have to say is keep it up!
Thank you for your contribution to the game as well.

Someone on the stream mentioned you.

jbart65

I am agnostic on these sort of events.

For pool to become a big spectator sport with big money, events like this would probably have to go away. The MR way is the way of all big pro sports.

Yet since it is unlikely pool will ever become a big U.S. spectator sport, events like Griffs have a place in a distinct American pool world. The players seem to enjoy the more casual setting and the money is not bad. The streams were fine.

What I like about Matchroom style events, or the high-level Predator events, is that the more formal room settings seems to pump up the pressure.

While I actually like players bantering and interacting with the crowd and each other, the big events make them focus on what is at stake. You don't see much joking or pal-ing around like I sometimes saw at Griffs.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I am agnostic on these sort of events.

For pool to become a big spectator sport with big money, events like this would probably have to go away. The MR way is the way of all big pro sports.

Yet since it is unlikely pool will ever become a big U.S. spectator sport, events like Griffs have a place in a distinct American pool world. The players seem to enjoy the more casual setting and the money is not bad. The streams were fine.

What I like about Matchroom style events, or the high-level Predator events, is that the more formal room settings seems to pump up the pressure.

While I actually like players bantering and interacting with the crowd and each other, the big events make them focus on what is at stake. You don't see much joking or pal-ing around like I sometimes saw at Griffs.
Of course, you're right, but we do need to realize that Matchroom spoils us rotten and expecting others with a lesser production budget to offer the same kind of venues, tournament room setups and arenas is not realistic.

Yes, there is a formality to a Matchroom major not found in some other events, but as you note, there are positives in the more informal tourneys, too, one of which is more interaction between the players and the fans. The formality is even greater at the Mosconi Cup, where the players have almost no interaction with the fans, with all their attentions on the show itself and the prizes.

The events held in poolrooms have a different kind of charm to them, and some of them are great events. Pool needs these events in a bad way. Arenas and grand ballrooms are expensive, and for many event producers, if they are to dish out good prize money for lesser events, they need to keep their expenses low. That's the formula if pool players are to make a decent living and I, for one, am all for it.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im enjoying the Griff's stream and matches more then the World 10Ball and Vegas Open stream and matches.
Agreed. I like the more casual atmosphere. The pool players are as focused as ever, but the environment and commentators are like hanging around with buddies. Then the players even sit in to shoot the sht for a while, letting their true personalities through instead of giving empty, manicured responses.

I'll take the occasional scooter or autograph-seeker interruption in exchange for this set-up.