US Open 9-Ball, 2023, Atlantic City, Sep 25-30

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you guys see the stats? They had Yapp missing 2 balls and Ko missing 1. I missed the first rack, so maybe it happened there? But I know those stats have been wrong several times, so maybe they were counting kicks as misses? IDK...

geoff_182

Did you guys see the stats? They had Yapp missing 2 balls and Ko missing 1. I missed the first rack, so maybe it happened there? But I know those stats have been wrong several times, so maybe they were counting kicks as misses? IDK...
I missed the first rack also. I think they are counting the kick when the 2 was over the side ass a miss for yapp. I'm not sure what else

VVP

Registered
Just my opinion, but this needs to be fixed. Nothing should be automatic in pool.
From what I heard the pros said, with the new break rule from Matchroom the 1 might be automatic with the cut break, but the rest of the rack is unpredictable. This might be the best break option. Pros figure out whatever you throw at them.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes MR does miscount stats. AtLarge can you confirm please ? :LOL:They may have counted a miss on jump shot or kicks. IIRC, in rack 1, Ko pushout to long open 2 ball. Yapp messed up pot to top corner and Ko ran out

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes MR does miscount stats. AtLarge can you confirm please ? :LOL:They may have counted a miss on jump shot or kicks. IIRC, in rack 1, Ko pushout to long open 2 ball. Yapp messed up pot to top corner and Ko ran out
Looks like they counted Ko's jump shot at the 2/9 combo in Game 9 as a miss. As for Yapp, he missed the long 2-ball in Game 1, but the rest of his shots were 5 kicks and a safety (failed), so I'd charge him with just the one miss.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1696098274996.png

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who the crowd will be rooting for more. I think if Ko had won a more typical match, Gorst would be the fan favorite, as the USA has almost adopted him. However, these are pool fans who all know and love Ko Ping Chung's game, and after seeing that performance, I think the crowd would be cheering him on to follow it up with the title.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was probably Yapp's kick at the 2-ball (near a side pocket) in Game 9 that they counted as the second miss. That was not at all a simple pot; I would not count it as a miss.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The semis are in the books. Pecelj played well for an early lead, but Gorst was amazing in the last hour of the match to advance to the final. Ko Ping Chung was masterful, and I have only seen a few matches at this level in which one player finished the match without making a ball. Yapp’s miss in rack one turned out to be the only time he attempted a shot in the entire match. Ko Ping Chung is making these four inch pockets look loose, much like Kaci did at this year’s UK Open.

While Fedor seems the favorite on paper to win the final, I see this final as a coin toss between two players in absolutely magnificent form.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
kid ran a 6-pack yesterday, shutting ralf out 10-1. ...
That has been said several times, including by Jeremy Jones. But it was a 5-pack, Games 6-10, not a 6-pack. Ralf broke in Game 5 (and Pecelj missed the 3-ball later), so clearly that was not a Pecilj B&R. Pecelj missed the 2-ball in Game 11, so clearly that was not a Pecelj B&R. So Games 6-10 = 5-pack for Pecelj.

CanadianGuy

Fedor will need to match the break success

still the betting favourite imo

Ko caught lightning in a bottle, surely he can't match that standard twice in the same day?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
uso final.JPG

Both have similar racks won / lost % of 65.5%
Ko has beaten 4x800+ (Kazakis, Filler, Lechner, Yapp) while Gorst has beaten 2x800+ (Sanjin, Biado)
Last time they played each other in a major (UK Open last 64), Ko won 11-7 after comeback from 1-6 down.
Ko has break dialed in on TV table in semifinal and breaking far better than Gorst who had dry breaks, scratches in his semifinal vs Aleksa. (Of cos table conditions may change 1 hour from now in final and Ko may not break as good and not be able to replicate his successful break)
Ko would be slight favorite over Gorst to win the title :D

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Most of the pros literally banging the rack like 1980s
That's not what I saw during the week. Most were strong but very controlled.

Of course let's not have eye witness account deter guesswork now...lol

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I believe so. I think Zen Custom Cues makes both Ko's cues. (IDK if also the 3rd Ko). Yapp has a Mezz patch on his shirt. His ferrule looks 1" long, so IDK if that is a standard deflection?
Both brothers play with, what looks like normal shafts with 3 quarter inch ferrules.
I know his brother ko ping yi, said before, he has his own tip brand. Also installs his own tips too.
I think that was, in the, whats in your case series with karl.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not what I saw during the week. Most were strong but very controlled.

Of course let's not have eye witness account deter guesswork now...lol
You can't see the difference how Ko broke?

Look closer