US Open 9-ball updates thread..

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
It was, I remember being slightly confused that I didn't hear the ref say "extension please", but the extension came up on the screen.

The question is, does it matter that the shot clock operation saw/heard him say extension if the ref didn't? Does it matter that he says extension if the ref doesn't hear it?

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it make a sound?
"Extension" came up on the screen right after the clock hit zero.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
extremely impressive by yapp, like all his matches of late. he barely ever misses. he missed a combo, but aside from that very few mistakes + very solid break

jmhanson_21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a stupid rule to begin with. If there is no called time-out, it should be automatic, assuming he still has one.
Agreed. While I was watching, I was mad that the beeps were going off while he was down on the shot, because I was thinking ... he called for an extension, who the f is running the clock!?!? After they call foul, I thought I was going crazy, cuz I couldn't see or hear extension on the replay, but Yapp just said in his interview that he heard Shane say extension, and he would have intentionally fouled if they made him shoot. What a good kid. But, all this could be avoided by giving an automatic extension. Just a dumb rule.

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yapp says he heard Shane call the extension, and may have taken an intentional foul if they gave him BIH.

Yapp seems like a good guy. I'll be rooting for him now.
JJ said that too during the match commentary.

How did JJ know that?? Just wow.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the NFL, they don't call an automatic timeout when the play clock reaches 0. It's up to the quarterback and/or coach to be cognizant of how much time is remaining and to call a timeout if they don't think they'll get the play off in time.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why not just have a 60 second shot clock with no extensions, most of the players at this level are going to shoot within the time frame anyway.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If both Yapp and Orcollo progress to the semi meeting each other...well I expect it to be a great battle.
I remember them battling at the Sea games 2019 for the win for their countries and it was one of the best performances and battles I've seen. Dennis was the winner in that match.
I'll be glad to watch one more.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he ran out from the break 8 times. Hard to beat that.

and also gave filler that same treatment before in the tournament i believe. the kid seems very much in form.

before the last US open i had not heard of yapp, but apparently he has quite a following on social media. broadcasts his practice sessions maybe? pretty sure someone who knows social media said that

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JJ said that too during the match commentary.

How did JJ know that?? Just wow.
Yapp made a gesture when the foul was called and looked like he said something like “he called an extension.”

The problem is that if Shane calls an extension, he must ensure the ref knows it. It can’t be a game of looking at videos to see if his lips moved. In my opinion Lehman shouldn’t have looked at video at all.

something_pool

Registered
Yapp made a gesture when the foul was called and looked like he said something like “he called an extension.”

The problem is that if Shane calls an extension, he must ensure the ref knows it. It can’t be a game of looking at videos to see if his lips moved. In my opinion Lehman shouldn’t have looked at video at all.
It's the ref's job to hear when the player calls an extension, not the other way around.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Man, tough to see Grabe go out like that. Geronimo misses, leaves him safe, Grabe hits the 7 and scratches.

Grabe had a great tournament.