US Open 9-ball updates thread..

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop blaming the bar tables for the Americans not having the skills to make it to the finals, the blaming falls directly on the gambling side of American pool, where all you have to be is better than the person you're gambling with and NOT practicing to take on the worlds best, where you don't get do overs, or multiple races to come out the winner!!
I agree 100% with you. There is a hangover from the days of "the road" that being good at money games is more a sign of being a good player than winning tournaments. If you want to win major pool tournaments then playing races to 120, where you have plenty of time to get into the zone, probably isn't the best preparation.

In answer to those that say something like, "but there are some players that can do both", well they've just answered their own question by asking it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More like this one - quarterfinals of recent World 10ball championships - Biado vs Oi - Leyman called a foul on Carlo refusing to even review the call..Biado lost the match ultimately..
He was yelling at Shane who is deaf and that last rack in Biado vs Chua was "interesting". I wonder if it was his decision to switch from template to rack.

Strange goings on.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Biado over Chua 11-10.

Tomorrows match up:

Yapp v. Orcollo. I think these two have been playing the best pool and are the guys to beat.

Oi v. Biado. Both have played well to get here of course, but just a bit behind Yapp and Orcollo.

See ya'll tomorrow!

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People cry about the rack no matter what they do. A wooden rack is garbage and takes forever but the balls are less wired. A template gives a perfect rack relatively quickly but wires the balls. I'm on the template side. How are you ever going to attract new people to the sport where it takes longer to rack the balls than it takes an NBA team to score 20 points.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He was yelling at Shane who is deaf and that last rack in Biado vs Chua was "interesting". I wonder if it was his decision to switch from template to rack.

Strange goings on.
I didn't see the match. What went down on the double hill?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This referee taking so long to rack is just killing the momentum.
I agree 100%. This will never fly on TV. Watching players run out in two minutes and the ref spend five minutes (or more) racking the balls, and people will be changing the channel. They better stick to the magic rack for TV.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. Taking 6 minutes to rack the balls at hill-hill may not have been intentional but it actually adds to the drama, get's the live audience talking and builds an atmosphere. I really can't see too many people on the edge of their seat at hill-hill saying this is boring let's see what else is on.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I disagree. Taking 6 minutes to rack the balls at hill-hill may not have been intentional but it actually adds to the drama, get's the live audience talking and builds an atmosphere. I really can't see too many people on the edge of their seat at hill-hill saying this is boring let's see what else is on.
A couple of minutes, okay. Five minutes, not okay!

JC

Coos Cues
This is our own workaround below. What is so difficult about that? Why even talk about asking Matchroom to do put scoreboard? They may send you a bill for manpower cost :ROFLMAO: Folks watching are already happy that Matchroom offering free Youtube channel

View attachment 610088
FFS what it I want to watch it when I get off work? Or tomorrow? Or next week? Next Year? What's your workaround for that?

There should be a damned scoreboard visible in the video and Matchroom should have already thought of that. Without it you just watch people banging balls around like chimpanzees.

No wonder Pro Pool is in the shitter. Common sense does not seem common sadly.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biado over Chua 11-10.

Tomorrows match up:

Yapp v. Orcollo. I think these two have been playing the best pool and are the guys to beat.

Oi v. Biado. Both have played well to get here of course, but just a bit behind Yapp and Orcollo.

See ya'll tomorrow!
Ya but no pool player on earth will be more entertaining if they win than Oi , I say Oi Oi Oi and give me the Oi dance ,
I love Earl , Kieth , Mike the mouth but this guy has a likable it factor all can love

1 '

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100%. This will never fly on TV. Watching players run out in two minutes and the ref spend five minutes (or more) racking the balls, and people will be changing the channel. They better stick to the magic rack for TV.
It's not flying on TV in the USA regardless of what going on ,it's a bait and switch they come here to promote the game for not us but for the U.K. and China where the real market is , They are trying to get in front of Chinese 8 ball that's spent big money promoting their game competing with Snooker , No way the USA viewership is a target for them
They will go bankrupt if it is ....

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drama? I bet you love it when they scream golden break, golden break. Ooo, aah. :sleep:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop blaming the bar tables for the Americans not having the skills to make it to the finals, the blaming falls directly on the gambling side of American pool, where all you have to be is better than the person you're gambling with and NOT practicing to take on the worlds best, where you don't get do overs, or multiple races to come out the winner!!
Oh stop
Goddam leagues are the death of real pool
You got 95 percent of the US pool population playing for patches and 5 inch trophies

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh stop
Goddam leagues are the death of real pool
You got 95 percent of the US pool population playing for patches and 5 inch trophies
Yes but isn't that the same in all countries and in all sports? Those with the right levels of talent and commitment rise to the top and move on to playing for $$$ and major trophies. And they embrace the leagues/amateurs/grassroots that prop the sport up - and in a well structured sporting pyramid, a small but significant portion of the commercial revenue drips down and everybody wins.