Using the mechanical bridge - should it be banned?

ultramafic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sound like one of those dumbass defense attorney that really believe everyone is innocent.
Good to know.

In fact you also sound like a dumbass ACLU attorney that believes it's sexist to have different bathrooms for boys and girls.
Well, I don't think it is sexist, but I do think it is unnecessary. I mean, if everyone gets his/her own stall to do their thing, why can't it be in the same room? Would simplify building designs, save money, and eliminate the "potty inequity" - that immensely important issue that Congress is now investigating:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/congress-considers-potty-parity-bill-women/story?id=10624844&page=2

I think you need to be on the Nancy Grace forums or something like that.
I dunno who Nancy Grace is, but I'll try to check it out. Thanks.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You haven't been keeping up with the marketing. The Olympics are supposed to be enjoyed by all too :)

But not competed in by all. I'm beginning to wonder if you're really this obtuse or if it's an act. It has to be an act, right? Okay, it's an act.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
For purposes of this conversation, I am talking about playing on a 9' or smaller table. Please keep that in mind.

That said - I think use of the mechanical bridge is BS. I think that having to reach for a shot, make a shot off-handed, playing a reachable but less desirable shot or winging it when necessary, and putting your opponent IN these situations as a defensive strategy, should all be part of the game - while use of the mechanical bridge should not be. Just like in pro golf, walking the course is part of the game. No carts allowed (unless you're the guy whining about his ADA issues).

So - suppose BCA (or similar body) banned use of the mechanical bridge in the "official rules" of the various games of pool (again, we're not talking about snooker, etc.), who amongst you would whine and who would cheer?

Count me in cheering section.

Didn't bother to read any of the other replies, I'm sure most will reflect what I'm about to say.

Nothing personal, but I think you're nuts. That's the silliest thing I've read all day.

Zud

Old Dog Trying to Learn
Silver Member
For purposes of this conversation, I am talking about playing on a 9' or smaller table. Please keep that in mind.

That said - I think use of the mechanical bridge is BS. I think that having to reach for a shot, make a shot off-handed, playing a reachable but less desirable shot or winging it when necessary, and putting your opponent IN these situations as a defensive strategy, should all be part of the game - while use of the mechanical bridge should not be. Just like in pro golf, walking the course is part of the game. No carts allowed (unless you're the guy whining about his ADA issues).

So - suppose BCA (or similar body) banned use of the mechanical bridge in the "official rules" of the various games of pool (again, we're not talking about snooker, etc.), who amongst you would whine and who would cheer?

Although you claim this is a strategic move I have to agree with Neil and think that you are uncomfortable using a mechanical bridge.

Do you think it is an unfair advantage for people that have learned to (and like to) use it. You have the same opportunity to use the mechanical bridge, If you do not like to it is your own problem.

I don't think that you use strategies dependant on the right or left handness of your opponent and their height. most just go with where the balls are on the table when considering the leave.

If this actually is the case, do you also prefer to play next to a window so you can give them a leave with the sun in their eyes (and its a foul to wear sunglasses)

Heck, I want to ban those leather tips on the cues since I can't use english.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now I've seen everything

ultramafic:

I'm really, REALLY trying to be cerebral about this, but honestly, I think I've seen everything now. I've been on these forums for a while, and in that time, I've seen arguments against jump cues, against cue extenders, against talc, against gloves, etc. But against the mechanical bridge? A device that has been in existence since the dawn of pool, the game as we know it today? I can see the argument against the "new" items -- e.g. jump cues, cue extenders, gloves -- all of which are relatively new items on the market when compared against the old age of pool. I can even see the argument against talc, since in the hands of certain numbskulls and belligerent nitwits, it makes a huge mess.

But the mechanical bridge? This device has been in existence since the dawn of many pool games, not the least of which are 14.1 straight pool and One Pocket, where the mechanical bridge is crucial to reach behind-the-rack shots, or to reach over a ball ("tree-topped") from a distance away, to shoot that shot.

I think your argument stems from playing the game of 9-ball, where in that situation, you want to use that tactic (i.e. "tree-topping" someone) as a "move" for a competitive edge. Let me remind you "a game of pool" does not always mean the balls are racked in the shape of a diamond. There are plenty of other games out there that have markedly different strategies. The mechanical bridge was invented l-o-n-g before that popular game wherein the balls are racked in that [defective] diamond shape.

I for one think the skillset using a mechanical bridge is a lost art, seemingly now only in the possession of snooker players, or those few straight pool players that remember how important "mechanical bridge chops" are. In the days where straight pool was king, skills using the mechanical bridge -- to make a shot and *pocket* the ball -- were mandatory. Nowadays, people will just refuse, and either find another shot, kick-safe the ball, or else jack up and play a safety to duck the difficulty of the shot.

Personally, I think using the excuse that the mechanical bridge should be banned so that players can use distance / tree-topping as a "move" is a very weak one. Is one's game that weak that he/she needs distance and tree-topping as a "move"? I say, bone-up on your game. Learn how to play the game, instead of trying to use the equipment against the game itself. Learn how to play a PROPER safety -- i.e. welding that cue ball *behind* another ball so that not even a jump cue is effective -- your opponent has to kick at the shot (in the case of rotation games) or play an intentional foul (in the case of straight pool or one pocket). Don't blame the equipment -- blame yourself. Take an honest look at yourself and ask why you lost the game. Are you needlessly blaming the equipment, and not your lousey shot-making / safety play?

Food for thought. And this "food" is not intended to be caustic, but rather to help you think a different way.

Respectfully,
-Sean

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(Quietly stands and begins a slow clap)

ultramafic:

I'm really, REALLY trying to be cerebral about this, but honestly, I think I've seen everything now. I've been on these forums for a while, and in that time, I've seen arguments against jump cues, against cue extenders, against talc, against gloves, etc. But against the mechanical bridge? A device that has been in existence since the dawn of pool, the game as we know it today? I can see the argument against the "new" items -- e.g. jump cues, cue extenders, gloves -- all of which are relatively new items on the market when compared against the old age of pool. I can even see the argument against talc, since in the hands of certain numbskulls and belligerent nitwits, it makes a huge mess.

But the mechanical bridge? This device has been in existence since the dawn of many pool games, not the least of which are 14.1 straight pool and One Pocket, where the mechanical bridge is crucial to reach behind-the-rack shots, or to reach over a ball ("tree-topped") from a distance away, to shoot that shot.

I think your argument stems from playing the game of 9-ball, where in that situation, you want to use that tactic (i.e. "tree-topping" someone) as a "move" for a competitive edge. Let me remind you "a game of pool" does not always mean the balls are racked in the shape of a diamond. There are plenty of other games out there that have markedly different strategies. The mechanical bridge was invented l-o-n-g before that popular game wherein the balls are racked in that [defective] diamond shape.

I for one think the skillset using a mechanical bridge is a lost art, seemingly now only in the possession of snooker players, or those few straight pool players that remember how important "mechanical bridge chops" are. In the days where straight pool was king, skills using the mechanical bridge -- to make a shot and *pocket* the ball -- were mandatory. Nowadays, people will just refuse, and either find another shot, kick-safe the ball, or else jack up and play a safety to duck the difficulty of the shot.

Personally, I think using the excuse that the mechanical bridge should be banned so that players can use distance / tree-topping as a "move" is a very weak one. Is one's game that weak that he/she needs distance and tree-topping as a "move"? I say, bone-up on your game. Learn how to play the game, instead of trying to use the equipment against the game itself. Learn how to play a PROPER safety -- i.e. welding that cue ball *behind* another ball so that not even a jump cue is effective -- your opponent has to kick at the shot (in the case of rotation games) or play an intentional foul (in the case of straight pool or one pocket). Don't blame the equipment -- blame yourself. Take an honest look at yourself and ask why you lost the game. Are you needlessly blaming the equipment, and not your lousey shot-making / safety play?

Food for thought. And this "food" is not intended to be caustic, but rather to help you think a different way.

Respectfully,
-Sean

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I do not think the bridge should be banned for many of the reasons already stated. The bridge has been around long enough that it is part of the game in much the same way leather tips are part of the game. It takes skill to use the bridge effectively, etc.

However, I can understand the OP's argument as well. This was probably a discussion that was had back when the bridge was first introduced. I'm sure there were many people back then that didn't like it, just like a lot of people don't like jump cues today.

I'm not sure what the reason is for all the hostility.

I think there is a limit to allowing new innovations into a game, but the bridge should stay.

What about that stroke trainer. Should we allow people with no hands to use those? :sorry:

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of a funny story. I was playing pool at some local bar for drinks. We were playing BIH rules so the guy must have know something about the game. Anyways, he left me a shot I couldn't reach so I went searching for the bridge. I found it on the wall with the house cues. I brought it back over and my opponent says something to the extent "What are you doing? We are playing for money and you are going to use the bridge".

I was dumbfounded and replied with "What?"

My opponent comes back with "the bridge is for people who don't know how to play the game and using it is a p*ssy move"

I found this amusing so I asked him if he had ever watched pool on TV. He said he had. So I asked him "if the professionals, who are the best players in the world use the bridge what makes you think it is p*ssy or something that only people who don't know how to play use?".

He replied "I guess its ok if you use it". And that was that.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i don't know about all that. that a similar argument that i've heard for banning the jump cues. i think the main difference is that bridges have been in use for so long that they're just part of the game.

i use a mezz extension more than i use a bridge

MarcusG19

Future Best In Canada
Silver Member
So - suppose BCA (or similar body) banned use of the mechanical bridge in the "official rules" of the various games of pool (again, we're not talking about snooker, etc.),

why not snooker? the distance from the rail in which you must use the mechanical bridge is the same on both tables.

and i disagree. having to use the bridge is the penalty for putting yourself in a position to have to use the bridge

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very bad idea. Go back to the drawing board and come up with something else.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it has uses especially for difficult shots :altho I have yet to see pro 3-c tournament players use it they will come up with another shot.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultramafic = dumbass

man i'm so glad i'm not the only one that's thought this. this guy's under 100 posts and he's managed to get under my skin so bad it's crazy. i've been posting on here for years and he's the first person i've ever considered placing on "ignore" status.

he seems to just troll around and disagree with everyone