Very interesting old man I meet last night ( Long )

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
Deep in the hills of east Tennessee last night I was at my usual Wednesday night poker game. I drive almost an hour from my home to this very small town of about 15,000. Of course they do not have a poolroom or even a bar ( i am not kidding ) so I was surprised to learn of the history of this once bustling town.
Once inside the room I noticed several older men that I had never seen before. I was wearing a jacket that I bought at the US Open this year and it of course has the logo on it picturing a nine ball. The game was full and I was waiting a seat to come available when this older fellow approaches me and asks " so you are a pool player are you?" I'm guessing him to be around 90 but later find out he is 82 years old. I respond with my usual remarks of, well I'm not real good but it is my favorite hobby next to cards and golf. And he responds back to me that his name was "shot". He had been given that nickname over 60 years because he once was a pool player. Even though he hasn't hit a ball in decades ever one that spoke to him last night called him shot.
Through out life I have meet countless people that has told me that once upon a time they were real good shooting pool. I have learned to take it like a grain of salt. Even saying that myself during a 12 year layoff from pool. Even still that comment always brings a smile to my face.
Shot asked me " whats your favorite game?" And I respond that I have played a lot of 9-ball and banks quickly becoming my new favorite game. Then he asks " full rack banks or 9-ball banks? So now he's got my attention. And I say it depends on who I'm playing. I like to play lesser players short racks and better players full racks. I feel like the strategy has been working out well for me. Then he asked " Have you ever heard of a guy named Eddie Taylor?" Now he's really got my attention. I comment sure and I have even meet him a couple of times. Then he says" We sure used to have a hell of a time." So you knew him I said. Sure he replies we played 9-7 banks for two days and two nights one time. What were you playing for? 200 a game at first he replied and the last few hours they bet 350 according to him. Shot claimed to be ahead 6 or 7 hundred when they quit playing.We hit it off after then Shot said and took off on a trip all over the south. When was this I asked. His reply was that he had just bought a 1956 Ford so it had to be around that time. Claimed his memory wasn't real clear on a lot of things anymore but he was pretty sure about that.
Every small town had a good poolroom he said. And they had a houseman waiting for somebody to come in and play. If they knew you they ask for a spot. If they didn't they play some $20 9-ball and try and clock your speed. I asked if there was a poolroom here at one time. Sure he says 8 brunswick's ,big tables with the small cue ball. 9 footers I asked ? No 10 footers he said a lot of places had 10 foot tables back then. That's what I grew up on. Playing rotation on a big table. One through the fifteen? Yes that's the only way you could learn to play shape. It not like 9-ball. You got to be a real good shot to run out playing rotation he said. Anybody could run 9 balls. I smiled and right then I knew this guy was for real. His father had owned the poolroom there and he grew up playing pool.
I actually gave up my seat once it came open just to sit and talk to Shot. We must have talked for a good two or three hours at the card room last night. I asked him. What does It take to be a good player in your opinion. He said....practice,good eyes,good stroke and confidence. Confidence is whats makes a good pool player Shot said with a raised voice. I wonder why there isn't very many poolrooms around anymore I asked. Shot's answer to me was quite surprising. I tell you my dad's business started dropping once everyone got TVs. Back then the poolroom was the place all the guys went back then. There wasn't much else to do. Everybody played pool. Now you got the movie theatre , football , baseball , everybody's running here running there it wasn't like that then. Once the action dried up I had to get a job. So I started building houses and stuck with that for over 30 years he said.
Shot was a witness to pool during its glory days. I hope to see the tournament scene grow for the professionals but I realize those days are gone. Sure was fun to sit and listen to all his stories.:)

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
kevin s said:
I need to have the somebody move this to the main forum. Sorry guys. I dont know how that happened!!
Forget that.... I liked the story and would have missed it elsewhere. We need a break like this once in a while. Somebody doesn't like it, they can go cry for some mommy's teat. Good answer about why pool has seen better days. I guess Internet gaming and Internet forums also take a little time away from the game these days, also. huh?

bish4201

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell, who cares, Great story. I have had a few conversations myself like that. Thats why the players in that era are so much better then we will ever be. The way they cared and the way they played the game.

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
Thanks for the story

That is a great story... and it is sad that all of these stories end with "I had to get a job." But so is the state of our sport these days.

emf123

Up the Irons!!!
Silver Member
Awesome story, thanks!!! It must've been fun back then, 8 ten footers in a town of 15,000, that's so cool.

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
Wow

kevin, that was a great read both in the content of the story and for sure "your telling it"! you created wonderful pictures with words! and just so enjoyable to read.

thanks.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When we are able to appreciate the wisdom that someone has learned during such a long and interesting life, that is when we are really grown up. I've heard many such stories from elderly players and everyone is as facinating as the person telling it. Thanks for another Kevin.

oldneo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wisdom of the old

If the younger generation would just take the time to listen to any older person they could learn a lot not just about billiards but about life. Every old man or woman has a great story about their earlier life of how they have gone from where they were to where they are now.

If you take the time to listen they will take the time to tell you, the problem is that we live in the new generation where we have no time in our busy days to listen to the old and the wise.

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
kevin s said:
I need to have the somebody move this to the main forum. Sorry guys. I dont know how that happened!!
Thankfully it would up here. I would have been very disappointed had I missed it.
It was a great story on many different levels. Real listening and real story telling have become lost arts. When the people like Shot pass they are going to take a lot of very interesting history with them.
How lucky were you to intersect with him that day and hear his story.
How lucky was he to find someone to listen to his story. Thanks for recognizing that this was worth sharing.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have an old friend who hangs out at All Star who is in his 80's. They called him "John the Legend" in the old days. Tells some really great stories, and, even though he can barely stand at the table and is practically blind (can only see light and about 2 feet in front of him), he can set the balls up on the table and play some of the most fantastic banks and trick shots. He played against all the old guys like Mosconi, Fats, Cornbread Red, etc, too. These guys would have been top players in any era. I love to hear the tales of life on the road in the 40s and 50s....it could get really rough, back then. John is said to have shat a guy or two over the years, but he says he never shot anyone who didn't deserve it.
Joe

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
I agree

CTYankee said:
That is a great story... and it is sad that all of these stories end with "I had to get a job." But so is the state of our sport these days.
I am positive that I will never make alot of money in pool. But my life has been so much richer bacause of it. I love playing all games and have made some of my best friends at the poolhall. So for me the state of our sport is good by me.:)

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talk to a legend

I talked to George Rood for an hour or more this evening.You wouldn't beleive how sharp someone could be at his age.Many stories to tell,,I mean many!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
kevin s said:
Deep in the hills of east Tennessee last night I was at my usual Wednesday night poker game. I drive almost an hour from my home to this very small town of about 15,000. Of course they do not have a poolroom or even a bar ( i am not kidding ) so I was surprised to learn of the history of this once bustling town.
Once inside the room I noticed several older men that I had never seen before. I was wearing a jacket that I bought at the US Open this year and it of course has the logo on it picturing a nine ball. The game was full and I was waiting a seat to come available when this older fellow approaches me and asks " so you are a pool player are you?" I'm guessing him to be around 90 but later find out he is 82 years old. I respond with my usual remarks of, well I'm not real good but it is my favorite hobby next to cards and golf. And he responds back to me that his name was "shot". He had been given that nickname over 60 years because he once was a pool player. Even though he hasn't hit a ball in decades ever one that spoke to him last night called him shot.
Through out life I have meet countless people that has told me that once upon a time they were real good shooting pool. I have learned to take it like a grain of salt. Even saying that myself during a 12 year layoff from pool. Even still that comment always brings a smile to my face.
Shot asked me " whats your favorite game?" And I respond that I have played a lot of 9-ball and banks quickly becoming my new favorite game. Then he asks " full rack banks or 9-ball banks? So now he's got my attention. And I say it depends on who I'm playing. I like to play lesser players short racks and better players full racks. I feel like the strategy has been working out well for me. Then he asked " Have you ever heard of a guy named Eddie Taylor?" Now he's really got my attention. I comment sure and I have even meet him a couple of times. Then he says" We sure used to have a hell of a time." So you knew him I said. Sure he replies we played 9-7 banks for two days and two nights one time. What were you playing for? 200 a game at first he replied and the last few hours they bet 350 according to him. Shot claimed to be ahead 6 or 7 hundred when they quit playing.We hit it off after then Shot said and took off on a trip all over the south. When was this I asked. His reply was that he had just bought a 1956 Ford so it had to be around that time. Claimed his memory wasn't real clear on a lot of things anymore but he was pretty sure about that.
Every small town had a good poolroom he said. And they had a houseman waiting for somebody to come in and play. If they knew you they ask for a spot. If they didn't they play some $20 9-ball and try and clock your speed. I asked if there was a poolroom here at one time. Sure he says 8 brunswick's ,big tables with the small cue ball. 9 footers I asked ? No 10 footers he said a lot of places had 10 foot tables back then. That's what I grew up on. Playing rotation on a big table. One through the fifteen? Yes that's the only way you could learn to play shape. It not like 9-ball. You got to be a real good shot to run out playing rotation he said. Anybody could run 9 balls. I smiled and right then I knew this guy was for real. His father had owned the poolroom there and he grew up playing pool.
I actually gave up my seat once it came open just to sit and talk to Shot. We must have talked for a good two or three hours at the card room last night. I asked him. What does It take to be a good player in your opinion. He said....practice,good eyes,good stroke and confidence. Confidence is whats makes a good pool player Shot said with a raised voice. I wonder why there isn't very many poolrooms around anymore I asked. Shot's answer to me was quite surprising. I tell you my dad's business started dropping once everyone got TVs. Back then the poolroom was the place all the guys went back then. There wasn't much else to do. Everybody played pool. Now you got the movie theatre , football , baseball , everybody's running here running there it wasn't like that then. Once the action dried up I had to get a job. So I started building houses and stuck with that for over 30 years he said.
Shot was a witness to pool during its glory days. I hope to see the tournament scene grow for the professionals but I realize those days are gone. Sure was fun to sit and listen to all his stories.:)

Lucky you Kevin. You took a chance and spent quality time learning about pool history from someone who was there. Congratulations on being sharp enough to get all over that. REP to you. That is an interesting reason "shot" gave for pool dying off.

Thanks,
JoeyA

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
A wonderful story by Kevin S. thank you for posting .Happy Holidays ..Cj:)

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Enjoy, enjoy!

kevin s said:
I am positive that I will never make alot of money in pool. But my life has been so much richer bacause of it. I love playing all games and have made some of my best friends at the poolhall. So for me the state of our sport is good by me.:)

Keep enjoying the game. That's what makes it fun!!

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story kevin s

Once in a while I get the chance to meet an old time player like Shot. When I do I ask them what they think of the modern players and the modern game. Did you get the opportunity to ask Shot about this?

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Threw some green your way.I really enjoyed that and BTW you have the "gift of storytelling" yourself. Well written. Don:cool: