Video Contest (14): Record yourself playing this 9 Ball Situation

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
In a 9-ball game, you are now facing this layout.

Contest:
  1. Videotape yourself running out this rack with the minimum object ball movement?
    (In another word, the cue ball must not touch any other balls hitting the target ball on each shot.)
  2. Upload your video to YouTube.com, put "CueTable Billiard Contest 2008.10" in the title.
  3. Post your YouTube video URL here
  4. Please also discuss your position plan and potential problems with others. Any friends here are welcome to discuss about the layout if you don't have a camera handy.
  5. In two weeks I will post a video of a pro player playing this layout for you to compare.

CueTable Help

9b-14.jpg

Help
  1. Print out the layout (CueTable printing help)
  2. Bring the layout, a digital camera and a tripod when you go to a 9" pool table next time.
  3. Set you camera up high so the video can cover the table. Record yourself playing this layout.
  4. Submit your video to YouTube.com. Enter "CueTable Billiard Contest 2008.10" in the title and tags.
  5. Post the YouTube URL and your layout analysis here.
  6. The first three participants who upload his/her complete run-outs video will win a CueTable Polo Shirt. Note: the cue ball must not touch any other balls after it hits the target ball on each shot.
  7. The prizes are for people who have not won before. Formal winners are encouraged to participate and have fun together!
CueTableCafePressShirts.jpg

About the Contest
  • Anybody is welcome to discuss the layout here. If you have already seen the video before, please keep it a secret so others can enjoy this exercise.
  • For more exercises like this one, please check CueTable Billiard Library > Table Talk.
  • For CueTable Library members, you can subscribe to receive either daily or weekly emails or PMs for new exercises
  • If you don't see the larger CueTable layout above, please download Adobe Shockwave Full Installer here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp
  • To learn how to create your own diagram to show your ideas, please check CueTable.com > Tutorial

Good luck and let's see if you play as good as you talk!

*Note to winners of Contest #13 (Solartje, EatPool), your prizes have been mailed out today!

Last edited:

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
For all contestants, you can use ring hole stickers to mark the ball positions on the table. This will save you time.

For everyone else, please feel free to discuss the layout. I will show a video of a pro running out this rack at the end of this contest ( Sunday, Oct 12, 2008 )

Get your digital camera out and share the video with everyone!

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Here is what I intended to do. The critical shot in my mind is getting the best angle on the 3. I was tempted to go behind the 6 from the 2 to the 3, but I would run the risk of violating rule#1 (no bumping balls).

As you will see in the youtube file, I can certainly talk better than play!

CueTable Help

In the video I have uploaded, I came up short on the 3 which forced me to take a long shot on the 4 with 2-rail position to the 5. I played above the 5 from there so all I had to do was play across the center of the table to the 6. The remainder of the run was according to plan...although I should have settled down with some practice balls first. I'm a little embarrassed to post this vid because of my rough (cold) stroke & loose CB. It would look a little better after a few practice shots.

EDIT: I've tried 4 times to get youtube to take my vid, but it locks up after a few % uploaded. I'll keep trying...
EDIT2: I give up for now...youtube is refusing to take more than 3% of the vid before it just hangs up. It's only 12.9MB so size shouldn't be an issue.
EDIT3: I FINALLY got youtube to take the file. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_8BuYiRibQ

Last edited:

TOTTI

sMiLe
Silver Member
cuetable

Thanks soooooooooooo much , it's really great idea :thumbup:

I wish to run out and post video for u but i think after years i'll be able to run this out :D

AND please anyone post a layout show ENGLISH in every shot ..

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
TOTTI said:
cuetable

Thanks soooooooooooo much , it's really great idea :thumbup:

I wish to run out and post video for u but i think after years i'll be able to run this out :D

AND please anyone post a layout show ENGLISH in every shot ..

I'll edit my cuetable...

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
In the video I have uploaded, I came up short on the 3 which forced me to take a long shot on the 4 with 2-rail position to the 5. I played above the 5 from there so all I had to do was play across the center of the table to the 6. The remainder of the run was according to plan...although I should have settled down with some practice balls first. I'm a little embarrassed to post this vid because of my rough (cold) stroke & loose CB. It would look a little better after a few practice shots.

It looks like we have a winner. You ran the rack out nicely. we weren't looking for "minimum cueball movements" but "minimum ball bumping" (which you did)...

In the video where you were going from 7b to 8b (2:00), you mentioned something Little Joe taught you about calculating CB path. Can you share it with people? :)

Thank you and dfweyer for the great videos!!

**There are two more prizes to give out, anybody else like to give it a try this weekend?

http://library.cuetable.com/showthread.php?t=2654

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=dkbVhtZzVEE

I can't win, but just a quick vid to keep the ball roling and thanking wei for taking the time to do this.

:thumbup:

(might have to wait some minuts before its accepted by youtube)
i'll post my reflextions later (kinda like what dfwey showed on paper but less cb movement..
got to run, the wife wants to watch a movie together :grin-square:

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
cuetable said:
In the video where you were going from 7b to 8b (2:00), you mentioned something Little Joe taught you about calculating CB path. Can you share it with people? :)
Little Joe (Villapando) is local to me and was a fearsome (undercover) player in the day. Here's a nice thread that discusses a moment when Joe came out of the shadows to win a major event in the 80's.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=85723

Well, now that Joe is "retired" from pool, he is producing DVD's to pass along the concepts he developed over decades of play. For the cost of a DVD, you can learn those (amazingly simple) concepts in mere moments. The years it takes off the learning curve (IF you would ever learn these methods in the first place) is near priceless. His DVD's can be found here:

http://www.pooliq.net/

I'm blessed in that Joe is local to me, so I've had a few chances to witness his magic. His kicking and cueball knowledge is truly impressive. He's given me a glimpse of the concepts to be demonstrated on the next DVD and I can't wait for people to see it. It will be eye-opening just like his first two were.

As you saw in the video, I wanted to hit that 2nd diamond and that's exactly what I did...even though I was not in stroke yet! I had NO fear of being hooked by the 9 ball because I KNEW where the CB was going. As Joe says, "Shoot a calculated shot, not a guess shot".

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
Here is what I intended to do. The critical shot in my mind is getting the best angle on the 3. I was tempted to go behind the 6 from the 2 to the 3, but I would run the risk of violating rule#1 (no bumping balls).

As you will see in the youtube file, I can certainly talk better than play!

CueTable Help

EDIT: I've tried 4 times to get youtube to take my vid, but it locks up after a few % uploaded. I'll keep trying...
EDIT2: I give up for now...youtube is refusing to take more than 3% of the vid before it just hangs up. It's only 12.9MB so size shouldn't be an issue.
EDIT3: I FINALLY got youtube to take the file. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_8BuYiRibQ

OUTSTANDING OUT, MOSCONIAC!!! Super shot on the 4 ball to come 2 rails out and not disturb the 8 or 9 ball, per the rules set.

You and I could not agree more. Lil Joe is a master educator of billiard knowledge.

If your pool IQ is less than that of a, Buddy Hall, Lil Joe's tapes are a must view at,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.pooliq.net/

dfweyer

Play it safe...
Silver Member
Chicken Dinner

Winner, winner..my shirt arrived from the last CueTable contest this afternoon. I'll definitely have to wear it for the next contest that I make a video for.... Good luck to those in this weeks contest!

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
because your ball position is off.
The way i had the balls placed (as close as possible as what wei displayed it), it just wasnt possible to do it 1rail.

If you check my video, i had to pocket it in pocket speed, barely hard enough to just pocket it and still i went 2 rails.

one thing i learned with this runout, if the ob ( and cb) are so close to the rail and you do a very thin cut, i was surprised how little english i had to use to get in between the 2 and 6. I tried it several times with one tip of ouside, and i hit the 2 too often. Now i just used 1/4th of a tip outside.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Solartje: I know what you mean about minimal english required from the 1-2. I believe its due to the 1 being slightly off the rail. The tangent will take a little bit up table AND the CB picks up a trace of clockwise spin when brushing the 1 which takes it further toward the 2. Add some spin and you threaten to bump the 2.

In fact, I tried this rack again and I chose to shoot the 1 left-handed and crossed over the 2 with a good tip of outside english (see the cuetable below). I played the 2 in the corner pocket nearest the 3 and rolled the CB to the end rail & out (thru the 3/7 gap, not as hard as it looks). The rest of the out was as illustrated in my earlier cuetable.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solartje said:
because your ball position is off.
The way i had the balls placed (as close as possible as what wei displayed it), it just wasnt possible to do it 1rail.

If you check my video, i had to pocket it in pocket speed, barely hard enough to just pocket it and still i went 2 rails.

one thing i learned with this runout, if the ob ( and cb) are so close to the rail and you do a very thin cut, i was surprised how little english i had to use to get in between the 2 and 6. I tried it several times with one tip of ouside, and i hit the 2 too often. Now i just used 1/4th of a tip outside.

My mistake. I could have sworn the contest was with BIH. I just re-read the rules and didn't see that it was. BIH was why my angle was different.