Wanted: Cloth suggestions

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Hi, I'm looking for the best cloth and I'm on a tight budget. I love Simonis 860HR as RKC put on my table when I loved in California a couple years ago, but no way can I afford that. I'm retired and living in the Philippines and live on social security.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good cloth for humid weather all year round. Brunswick Gold Crown III in a private home - non commercial!

I see worsted cloth for sale on eBay but I have no idea if it is good and I don't have the funds to just try it out.

You guys are the experts and if you have suggestions please let me know and where to buy it.

Thanks much!

--Jeff

TheTablePro

Silver Member
I personally think ProForm is a decent substitute for Simonis at nearly 1/2 the price. I did a review on another worsted cloth I found on ebay and it sucked. Do a search for that review and you decide if you want to take a chance on it.

Robin

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
cloth

There is no substituting simonis! Simonis is simonis' it is what it is for many reasons......there may be a cloth or two in the same boat as simonis but there close in price'
If you want simonis cloth' save up your money! And get simonis, especially on a gold crown III!
-
Rob.M

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
There is no substituting simonis! Simonis is simonis' it is what it is for many reasons......there may be a cloth or two in the same boat as simonis but there close in price'
If you want simonis cloth' save up your money! And get simonis, especially on a gold crown III!
-
Rob.M

Well if I was still living in the states, Simonis really IS Simonis for sure. But I live in the Philippines and something almost as good as Simonis will be great. "Andy" branded Chinese cloth seems to be pretty good but I can't even find any in Manila now let alone Mindanao. The suppliers seem to be out.

So still looking for more suggestions!

Thanks!

--Jeff

JC

Coos Cues
Jeff where did you get a GCIII in PI? It seems to me in that humidity you wouldn't want even 860 as it turns sloooooowwww in those conditions. Unless of course you can afford AC for your pool room. I would be looking for the fastest cloth money can buy and then save up the money for it. You're a rich Kano, don't you know that?

JC

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Call Brian @ Diamond, 812-288-7665 and ask him how much it would cost to throw a 9ft rip of it in a box and ship it to you, he'll be able to give you an exact cost. Tell him to mark the box full of dildos, and for personal use only seeings how you just got married and all, and customes will probably just let it slide right through:rotflmao1:

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Jeff where did you get a GCIII in PI? It seems to me in that humidity you wouldn't want even 860 as it turns sloooooowwww in those conditions. Unless of course you can afford AC for your pool room. I would be looking for the fastest cloth money can buy and then save up the money for it. You're a rich Kano, don't you know that?

JC

I don't agree with your statement about 860. If properly applied, indexed and stretched (rectangular pattern) The overall speed of the table would be about the same. The bed cloth will slow very slightly and the rails will speed up slightly and bank a little shorter in humid conditions. Keeping the table and balls very clean will reduce these effects. If you are seeing a big reduction in the speed of the bed cloth it's due to loose cloth which is even looser when it's damp and humid. Proper installation technique will reduce the slowing effects of humidity on the bed cloth.

Jeff, I would recommend Simonis 860 HR. With a higher blend of nylon it will play more consistently and faster in humid conditions. 860 HR is a little faster than 860 under any conditions. If price is that much of a factor and the additional costs for Simonis are completely out of reach, try the local pool rooms and pick out the cloth that plays the best for the price.

Jay

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
Jeff, want are the mechanics charging out there? For me, the generics aren't worth the $50 savings. That being said, I wish there was a decent alternative, I hate doing business with a company that raises there price every year.

JC

Coos Cues
I don't agree with your statement about 860. If properly applied, indexed and stretched (rectangular pattern) The overall speed of the table would be about the same. The bed cloth will slow very slightly and the rails will speed up slightly and bank a little shorter in humid conditions. Keeping the table and balls very clean will reduce these effects. If you are seeing a big reduction in the speed of the bed cloth it's due to loose cloth which is even looser when it's damp and humid. Proper installation technique will reduce the slowing effects of humidity on the bed cloth.

Jeff, I would recommend Simonis 860 HR. With a higher blend of nylon it will play more consistently and faster in humid conditions. 860 HR is a little faster than 860 under any conditions. If price is that much of a factor and the additional costs for Simonis are completely out of reach, try the local pool rooms and pick out the cloth that plays the best for the price.

Jay

That was what I observed with 860 at our local hole. I admit I'm out here in BFE central not the real world. Just one time I would like to have my table recovered by someone who know's WTF they're doing. It's hard to find anyone like that around here.

JC

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
That was what I observed with 860 at our local hole. I admit I'm out here in BFE central not the real world. Just one time I would like to have my table recovered by someone who know's WTF they're doing. It's hard to find anyone like that around here.

JC

JC,

I see it everyday, If the mechanic does the job incorrectly, the cloth company or the table manufacturer or the cushion company gets a bad rap about their product. In reality, it's the skill of the mechanic that makes or breaks the playability of any table-cushion-cloth combination.

The worst scenario is a good table (Gold Crown, Diamond, Signature Pro, Schmidt, etc....) With good cloth (Simonis, Granito etc..) playing poorly because of improper set up and installation. When I hear from the customers that stretch shadows are normal on Simonis cloth, or all tables roll off, or the white lines on the cloth at the slate seams are normal with thin cloth, or that humidity makes the cloth so loose it gathers under your fingers, I say "BULL$HIT!. It's just lack of know how. All these issues can be addressed with proper installation technique.

JC, I'm not blaming you for stating truthfully what you observed back home. I just hate to hear Simonis getting a bad rap, due to the incompetence of the mechanic installing their product.

Jay

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member

JC

Thanks for the 860 info! Well I guess I'm rich in comparison to most Filipino's, but not rich in the sense that I can just buy whatever I want. I have to be careful with my purchasing.

About a year ago the pool hall in Manila called Hobbies of Asia called it quits and a friend of mind bought all the tables (10 or 12) which were GC IIIs. So when I got ready finally, I sent him a message and he had one left!!!

I should get the shipment (via sea) at the end of this week!!!!

--Jeff

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member

Jay

Thanks for that clarification of 860 HR Jay!

--Jeff

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Jeff, want are the mechanics charging out there? For me, the generics aren't worth the $50 savings. That being said, I wish there was a decent alternative, I hate doing business with a company that raises there price every year.

Hi Donny, nice to hear from you! Thanks for your perspective on generics!

Mechanics to recover setup my table (from the boxed parts and the slates on a pallet, and cover the table and rails) is about 1,000 to 2,500 pesos ($23.25 to $58.13 US). labor is very inexpensive in the Philippines and there are really good mechanics in the Philippines. I'm going to use the same mechanic that sets up Manny Pacquiao's tables and is said to be the best mechanic in all of Mindanao.

Th price of Simonis from Manila is about 12,500 pesos ($290 plus about $25 to ship it to me in Mindanao). But I only know they sell Simonis but not what flavor. I really don't like to buy things here that are branded from other countries because of so many fakes in almost any form or fashion even though the place I would get the cloth from, in Manila, is a very reputable company.

--Jeff

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Call Brian @ Diamond, 812-288-7665 and ask him how much it would cost to throw a 9ft rip of it in a box and ship it to you, he'll be able to give you an exact cost. Tell him to mark the box full of dildos, and for personal use only seeings how you just got married and all, and customes will probably just let it slide right through:rotflmao1:

Funny Glen!!!! I sent Brian an email. I had his email address from when I bought the table light and your ball polisher and the set of Artimus cushions you installed when you rebuilt my table the first time.

Hopefully Brian and I can converse via email!!!

Thanks buddy! (customs would probably tax me higher for dildos than cloth! Especially if Brian called it dining room table cloth!)

Question, who has ever had their table rebuilt completely (twice) by Glen? Ha! maybe only me!

--Jeff

TheTablePro

Silver Member
For anyone saying there is no sub. for Simonis, I disagree and it's for those customers who absolutely have a budget. Ever heard of it?

Some of my customers simply will not pay the price they are asking for it and rather than lose the business, I will, without hesitation suggest ProForm as it's one of the best "substitutes" for Simonis when cash flow is an issue. With this stinkin economy, it seems more apparent.....at least in my market. If someone is looking for a worsted cloth, they typically know what they are looking for but, for those who don't like the "fuzzy" cloths as they often refer to them as, I will firstly recommend Simonis. It's when that price tag scares them off I will use ProForm. Period. To say there is no substitute when you're in business is just wrong! Sorry!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Great Jeff!
You just need that pocket liners Glen uses .

SD, where to I get those ? I'll send them to Jeff.
Thnx